collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about international shipping with sales  (Read 400 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Question about international shipping with sales
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:17 AM »
I was wondering why so many people are shipping out ponies to the USA from other countries and using Registered Mail? I looked on the USPS site but still don't have a good picture of the purpose of Registered Mail verses International Tracking or insuring a package.  Can someone explain Registered Mail to me and why so many use it? I never do, but maybe there is something I don't know about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Question about international shipping with sales
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
Registered mail is handled with a higher level of security than standard mail, including the use of a special lock box, signatures at every transit point, and a traceable routing number. 

It is basically considered an add-on and does cost extra.  I personally have never sent anything Registered but I have received things Registered.  I know I was able to track it the whole entire time that it was enroute. Thus why I think alot of folks abroad choose to use it when sending to the US.  I do know however it is pricey when using it to send out of the US.  It has a starting rate of $10.95 plus the cost of whatever shipping method is chosen prior.

I hope that helps somewhat. Hopefully someone from abroad can enlighten us a little more on why it is used so much when sending to the US.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
Oh I see that helps a lot thanks.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »
Registered mail is handled with a higher level of security than standard mail, including the use of a special lock box, signatures at every transit point, and a traceable routing number. 

It is basically considered an add-on and does cost extra.  I personally have never sent anything Registered but I have received things Registered.  I know I was able to track it the whole entire time that it was enroute. Thus why I think alot of folks abroad choose to use it when sending to the US.  I do know however it is pricey when using it to send out of the US.  It has a starting rate of $10.95 plus the cost of whatever shipping method is chosen prior.

Yep - agreed Ponlady :nod:  I know quite a few of us outside the US use it for the tracking, extra security etc. It does cost more on top of what the normal price would be, but its safer and less likely for the item to go MIA, so its best to use it when its a more expensive item, and when it has a further distance to travel. Plus the buyer can track it, so they cant say you never sent the item, and its safer when dealing with some of those special buyers we come across on evilbay  ;)   Here in the UK insurance is included. you can pay a bit extra to increase the value of that if you wish.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal