collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning Non-Standard Ponies  (Read 561 times)

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
Cleaning Non-Standard Ponies
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
So I've recently acquired a few ponies that I have no idea how to clean safely and I'm too scared to attempt without advice.

The first is a G1 Happy Tails Toussels. The second is the large talking G4 Celestia and the last one is a bit of a sad  case as well as an unusual body type.

G3 Star Catcher. Not only does she have the fabric wings that make me nervous but one wing on mine falling off and the fabric is ripping at the base. ;~;  I haven't the slightest idea how I should repair it.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Non-Standard Ponies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »
You could fix Starcatcher's wing easily with a thin layer of fabric glue or with double-sided tape trimmed to fit. This wouldn't mend the tear at the base, strictly speaking, but it would keep it from getting worse.

I don't quite know what advice to give you on cleaning them that would be any different from how I would bathe a regular pony. ^^; Obviously try not to get their insides damp, unless they're already broken. What precisely is giving you anxiety?

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:13:21 AM »
You could fix Starcatcher's wing easily with a thin layer of fabric glue or with double-sided tape trimmed to fit. This wouldn't mend the tear at the base, strictly speaking, but it would keep it from getting worse.

I don't quite know what advice to give you on cleaning them that would be any different from how I would bathe a regular pony. ^^; Obviously try not to get their insides damp, unless they're already broken. What precisely is giving you anxiety?

I considered fabric glue but you're right, it won't help that tear close to the base. Anxiety-wise that tear in the fabric at the base of the wing is definitely the biggest worry I have here. I could attempt to clean Star Catcher up like any other pony if it wasn't for that.

With Celestia and Toussels it's most certainly any kind of moisture  considering they both still work. I also know nothing about Happy Tails G1s. Especially about what they've got going on inside of them. Is it metal? Not? I'm not going to submerge her in water or anything like that but any moisture potentially getting in there makes me nervous. She is very dirty and her hair feels pretty gross so she needs to be cleaned. Plus she's a much softer variety of plastic, too, which also worries me.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
When I've cleaned Happy Tails ponies, I've been careful not to submerge them, like you mentioned, and after I've dried their outsides with a towel I tip them rear-end first into a large cup and left them for a day or longer so they can drain if there is any water inside them. :) That seems to have worked for me so far. Hope that helps!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to fully repair Star Catcher's rip. Adhering the torn half tightly to it's mate is your best bet for future stability, I think. :huh: I wouldn't worry too much about accidentally ripping it the rest of the way off, if I were you. It's only a few millimeters difference at this point.

The Happy Tails' bodies are more pliable for ease-of-squeezing, but I haven't noticed any other particular differences with it. They stand up just fine to everyday soap and scrubbing. :) The mechanism is mostly plastic, but it does have a small metal piece that provides the tension needed to allow the "squeezer" pieces to rebound after being compressed. This springy piece is necessary for tail happiness, but luckily it's deep inside the pony, so it's extremely unlikely that it would get wet through normal surface cleaning.

You can take her apart and wash and dry her head, body, and tail separately if you want to be super-extra-sure that her mechanism doesn't get damp. (Jewel has a tutorial over on the TP for this.) If she's as filthy as you say, it might be best to take a look inside her anyway. She could be moldy and/or rusty already.

I've never even seen a talking Celestia in person, so I don't know what to tell you there, sorry!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
You dont have to soak ponies in water to get them cleaned...in fact unless absolutely necessary I dont think thats called for most of the time. Bacterial wipes or baby wipes or similar grease/oil penetrating wipes (eye make up remover wipes) will get most ponies cleaned. Its also a good method for any unusual ponies which perhaps have some issues that mean you would rather not get water inside them.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
You dont have to soak ponies in water to get them cleaned...in fact unless absolutely necessary I dont think thats called for most of the time. Bacterial wipes or baby wipes or similar grease/oil penetrating wipes (eye make up remover wipes) will get most ponies cleaned. Its also a good method for any unusual ponies which perhaps have some issues that mean you would rather not get water inside them.

I almost never submerge my ponies but I dunno why it never dawned on me to just use some sort of wipes on 'em. Would Lysol wipes be safe or are those too harsh?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
They should be fine but I would avoid symbols, eyes and blush as I am not sure if they may remove the paint. I use all manner of wipes - the advantage is you are really only on the plastic surface (and most evaporate quickly) which ensures harsh chemicals cannot penetrate the plastic too much. As long as anything you use does not discolour any material, you will be fine.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal