collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 23624 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2022, 01:51:46 PM »
Yayy! Well done, Mint 1!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2022, 04:42:26 PM »
Mint 1

I think it's doing a little better.  The baby mint/runner died.  I'm not sure if it was too hot or if it didn't have enough room to grow because it was on the edge of the container.

I bought another mint plant today. The robust ones that I saw last time at the store were gone but this one looked like it was pretty healthy. I saw one that was completely dead.  The stems were all dried up.

Mint 2.

I want to repot both soon, but my area is experiencing intense heat. I'm hoping that it will be cool enough one morning to be able to work with plants. 

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »
Mint 1 doesn't look too bad :) It has some sprouts on it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2022, 12:14:29 AM »
The growth at the bottom of mint 1 is a good sign that it's recovering, I'm sure it will be okay :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2022, 03:24:23 AM »
Mint is pretty indestructible (and invasive - don’t ever plant it out into your garden!) you can cut it back really harshly and it will come back strong. In fact, giving it a trim down to the 2nd/3rd nodes of each stem will help your first mint grow bushier.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2022, 01:13:22 PM »
Decapitated petunia is continuing to do well on my windowsill. It's still tiny, but there are a lot of leaves. Two other small petunias are temporarily resident there as well, having been slug chewed, but I hope to get them out and into the tub next week.

The calibrachoa is now outside again and in the tub and really loving life :)

My Alstromeria are flowering for the first time, which is super pretty.

Today we cut and edged the area of garden that's basically my space, so now there is no grass growing in my poppy, my phlox and my garden geranium.

I had to take two of the five delphiniums back out of the garden because they'd been eaten, but they're in pots on the patio and one has at least six new shoots already.

The other three are looking good, though, and have flower stems.

The big delphiniums, which I grew from seed in 2020, are now taking over the world. THey're meant to grow to 5ft but the dark coloured one is probably verging on 7ft already. The others are around 5ft and still growing. I have a soft spot for the one that got broken down last year in the wind, as it defied the odds to survive and flower last summer. Now it's perfectly fine, properly in the garden and ready to flower with its siblings. It's nice to see it succeed :)

On inside news, Poinsettia is doing well in her new pot.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2022, 09:10:45 AM »
Thank you everyone.  :)  I'm glad that Mint 1 is showing good signs of recovery. 

Both mints have been repotted.

Mint 1

Mint 2

It was windy when I took the pics so that is why Mint 2 looks crooked.  I know the mints will go in to shock for a bit since they were repotted but it was time for them to come out of their original containers. 

Ponyfan

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2022, 01:39:32 AM »
Whilst giving directions to the delivery guy for my new mattress (my old one was broken as it was but the springs are now poking through and stabbing me/ripping up my sheets  :cry: ) I saw that my Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion has its FIRST FRUIT!!!!!!! I'm super excited, I took this plant separate from the forest in the kitchen to give it breathing space, and I think the first little fruit is my reward!!

(I picked this one separate as it was the first JPGS to flower, the chocolate naga I believe was the first to flower out of all my plants this year)

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2022, 05:45:45 AM »
That's a pretty pot Mint 1 is in :)

Congrats Lady Frostbite! I had to look that plant up, I didn't know that's what it was called. I've had ghost pepper sauce but never an actual pepper.

I replanted Ben :) I also gave him a nice shower after he was in his new pot. He looks very perky today. And the cat grass grew well too, my cat has already eaten some of it. She won't eat it on her own though, I have to pick a bunch of blades and hold them for her. Silly kitty.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2022, 10:31:23 AM »
Ben and the cat grass look great.

Mint 1 is not doing well I'm afraid. :(  I've been checking on the plants eveyday and yesterday it looked fine but this morning I noticed some fine white stuff on it (possibly spider webs) with several bugs.  I sprayed both plants with the dish soap spray to be on the safe side.  I moved both mints under the deck bench because they seemed to be getting too much sun and I thought they were both happy under there. I checked Mint 2 and saw what might have been signs of bugs, but I wasn't sure. I know it takes plants a while to recover after being repotted so I'm hoping Mint 1 is still in a bit a shock and will recover.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2022, 10:50:18 AM »
I've decided that the delphinium that I took out of the garden is just a spoiled brat. It got eaten in the garden and refused to grow new shoots, even though the ones behind it were doing fine. I put it in a pot and within a week it has nineteen (NINETEEN!) new shoots.

...It just likes the attention.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2022, 12:06:01 AM »
I've decided that the delphinium that I took out of the garden is just a spoiled brat. It got eaten in the garden and refused to grow new shoots, even though the ones behind it were doing fine. I put it in a pot and within a week it has nineteen (NINETEEN!) new shoots.

They do! I found this with Delphiniums too. I ended up looking after some trials one year and I must say I think they only respond to one owner as well.

@BC you're growing a garden! Your plants look fantastic today. You're lucky with your cat, mine just eats anything... he just helps himself to my pheasant grass. He thinks I grow it especially for him.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2022, 12:32:24 AM »

They do! I found this with Delphiniums too. I ended up looking after some trials one year and I must say I think they only respond to one owner as well.

I'm glad it's not just me! I have such trouble growing Delphie seedlings, although once they get to a certain size they're quite resilient. Last year I had one with broken stems that I nursed through the summer, and this year it's not only in the garden with the others but flowering with them too.

This spoiled brat one though was the only survivor of a batch of seedlings grown last October. It lived in my room over winter because I wasn't sure if it would mess with its growing to be outside (since they die down over winter). In the spring I put it outside with the others that were going in the garden and it was fine then. But yeah, it didn't like the garden. It's too used to its pot O.O. I'm probably going to put it back when it's bigger, but maybe leave it in its pot when I do xD.

This morning I had to rescue one of my tub plants as a mrs blackbird had dug it up looking for something. The female blackbirds are pretty ruthless with plants. A few years ago they pulled out all my fuchsia cuttings, and only one survived. This plant seems to be ok though.

The hot weather yesterday does seem to have done for one of my red petunias, though. I watered it last evening when I realised but I think it was too late. All the other petunias, including the red one, are fine.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2022, 04:32:16 AM »
Artemesia's Garden - Thank you! The cat grass is twice as tall today as it was in that pic. It's going to wilt soon. My cat has had three feastings from it so far :)

I planted to catnip seeds. I had to put them in the freezer for a few days and then in a glass of cold water to start them. A few sprouted in the water so I'm hoping they grow.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
The balcony is looking pretty good! I completed my cleaning project a couple of weeks back and did a trip to a garden store. Got a good mix of different summer flowers, and a snack cucumber because it looked fun. :D  I've previously grown zucchinis with success so I though the cucumber might do well. I've already harvested a few tiny cucumbers, they grow pretty fast!

I always grow some herbs, salad and other simple, edible plants on the balcony, too. I sowed some beans and hope they will sprout. The other stuff is still in progress. I planted some mint cuttings but I left them for too long before planting them so they're awfully tall but have tiny little leaves... oops. :lol:

With flowers I mostly stick to a few traditional favourites. Marigolds, Calibrachoa (million bells), marguerite daisies... ivy paired with violets or some other pop of colour, this year I went with some sort of Campanula in purple and white. I had them last year and the purple one lasted till late in the autumn, the white one didn't like the July heatwave. The colour contrast looks good, though, so I decided to buy one of each again. I also got some cute little carnations.  ^.^

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal