collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Found counterfeit plushies being sold in a store  (Read 1245 times)

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Found counterfeit plushies being sold in a store
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:25:51 AM »
While I agree that they are nice and sorta of want one, I can't bring myself to support theives :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 02:08:35 AM »
Whilst it is bad, they are some of the best made show accurate plushes you can buy, I'm my opinion. I've only bought the characters I really want from them though (:muffin: Pony, Luna & DJ Pon3). I'm surprised you can find them in shops though.

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:51 AM »
I didn't realise these generally weren't in stores to be honest, there's a few places around Brisbane that have been selling the first few released characters (RD, AJ, Twilight). For the same price as you can buy online, I got a Big Mac.
The legit plushies are harder to get down here, more expensive and take forever to release. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:29 AM »
I saw some in an anime store in Canada alongside the 4DE ones  :lol: They were also being sold at the MCM London Expo for £15 (my friend picked up Cadence and she looks lovely :O )

Many, many stores in the West stock bootleg and counterfeit products. I doubt the relevant authorities have the time or resources to go after all of them.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
You would be surprised what Trading Standards will go after in the UK :P And in fact counterfeit toys are one of the things that they pounce on very quickly because they will not have been manufactured to expected EU standards. It in fact makes them dangerous and in the top 3 products which they go after - the other 2 being illegal cigarettes and unsafe food products.

I know its not a big deal to some people but for me saying they are good and well priced just does not countermand the argument that they are being made illegally and are potentially unsafely. We have regulations for toy production in place for a reason - so that you know if you give your child that plush its not going to have a needle inside it or a part which could come loose and cause a choking hazard. In the UK if a toy has no CE mark, then Trading Standards have the right to cease and destroy...and they will do. And it doesnt have to be in massive numbers. Because TS work on local authority level they can go after that one or two retailers who are carrying stock, especially if they have multiple illegal products. Sure, government cut backs have meant less of this kind of thing, but it does rightfully still go on.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
You would be surprised what Trading Standards will go after in the UK :P And in fact counterfeit toys are one of the things that they pounce on very quickly because they will not have been manufactured to expected EU standards. It in fact makes them dangerous and in the top 3 products which they go after - the other 2 being illegal cigarettes and unsafe food products.

I know its not a big deal to some people but for me saying they are good and well priced just does not countermand the argument that they are being made illegally and are potentially unsafely. We have regulations for toy production in place for a reason - so that you know if you give your child that plush its not going to have a needle inside it or a part which could come loose and cause a choking hazard. In the UK if a toy has no CE mark, then Trading Standards have the right to cease and destroy...and they will do. And it doesnt have to be in massive numbers. Because TS work on local authority level they can go after that one or two retailers who are carrying stock, especially if they have multiple illegal products. Sure, government cut backs have meant less of this kind of thing, but it does rightfully still go on.

This.
I'm surprised how many people will get one of these knowing very well that they are buying a possibly unsafe bootleg that was probably made in some sweatshop. (Some people got interesting priorities.)
In this case i wish the pony community was more like the pokémon collectors community. They don't support/tolerate bootlegs at all.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
These plushies have the CE mark on their labels - is it fake then? Or what? I'm confused  :P

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
it's a fine line between counterfeit and customs too.
technically we as customizers don't own the ponies we make or have commissioned.
even as plushes. yet some plush customizers charge hundreds of dollars for a single pony.
the people are willing to spend the money so it happens. many of the other companies, some in china and seeing this and have found a window to make a profit.
(i've personally purchased 3 commissioned pony plushes)

don't get me wrong. i customize myself.
but i mostly go with commission style sellling. ( too lazy to make a bunch before hand aside from samples.)
i don't think it's wrong if the company allows it. which hasbro does.

disney on the other hand they will skin you alive if you try to make a profit off of their stuff. don't touch disney with a ten foot pole. unless it's actual disney merch i'm reselling.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
*head desk* *seize not cease....Cat clearly cant spell

And yes shimmlight it will be an counterfeit CE - they cant produce the product without a licence, therefore the product can not have passed through the CE system.

Personally I think there is a massive difference between something being mass produced and sold to retailers and the general public as a toy, and one off plush products which are essentially art and are very seldom sold as toys. :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »
So to make it clear, this is only happening to foreign countries? :o
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »

Nope...they are being sold inside the US in US stores and Cons :) Its the popularity of the fandom. Its not really that surprising and it happens to anything where manufacturers see a quick and big buck can be made. Licensed plush makers are not making a wide range of characters; they are sticking to what most big retailers will carry [the exception being 4DE but they cant seem to get their products to production!!]. So there is a clear gap in the market for cheap plush of characters which are not readily available to fans unless they spend money on a custom.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
I really like that Shining Armor, but not an illegal one.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »

And yes shimmlight it will be an counterfeit CE - they cant produce the product without a licence, therefore the product can not have passed through the CE system.

Personally I think there is a massive difference between something being mass produced and sold to retailers and the general public as a toy, and one off plush products which are essentially art and are very seldom sold as toys. :)
no i agree. they are art in most cases. and there is a massive difference with distribution etc.

was just trying to say neither of them got permission from hasbro etc to make a profit off their characters.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »

Nope...they are being sold inside the US in US stores and Cons :) Its the popularity of the fandom. Its not really that surprising and it happens to anything where manufacturers see a quick and big buck can be made. Licensed plush makers are not making a wide range of characters; they are sticking to what most big retailers will carry [the exception being 4DE but they cant seem to get their products to production!!]. So there is a clear gap in the market for cheap plush of characters which are not readily available to fans unless they spend money on a custom.

I hope these are available at comic stores...i'm not holding my breath though :P
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »

I totally agree on this. It makes me cringe that these are being sold as toys. What most people would consider "for children". I don't agree with the adults who knowingly buy them, but it is what it is and people know what they're getting(and an adult is obviously less vulnerable to choking hazards). But I don't like the idea of ANY sort of bootlegs in the hands of little kids.  :( we invented safety standards on toys for a reason. At least custom plush that are sold usually have the "NOT intended for children" line somewhere in the description and these definitely don't.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal