collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which pony is the most likely to be popular as a G4 style toy? Pick 3

Firefly
96 (23%)
Surprise
39 (9.3%)
Posey
14 (3.3%)
Twilight
17 (4.1%)
Sparkler
8 (1.9%)
Medley
21 (5%)
Glory
33 (7.9%)
Bowtie
19 (4.5%)
Snuzzle
8 (1.9%)
Sundance
14 (3.3%)
Gusty
64 (15.3%)
Fizzy
36 (8.6%)
Wind Whistler
20 (4.8%)
Moondancer (G1)
29 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: My thoughts on getting some G1 to G4 ponies from Hasbro *Poll added*  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
**** My updated thoughts on forming a group on pg. 4! *******

So I've been thinking for a while about how it is that so many brony favorites are being made and what we collectors can learn from this.  My conclusions are that the bronies initially strongly focused on a very limited number of ponies that they were lobying for.  I think that the problem with getting G1 characters made is that there are so many choices and we all have our favorites and no single pony stands out to Hasbro.   And then let's consider Minty.  All signs are pointing to an official release.  Now Hasbro may have been intending to release her anyway, but it is interesting that this comes have an extended campaign for this particular pony.

My suggestion is that we all concentrate and campaign on a single pony, at least initially.  If we can get Hasbro to set a precident for a G1 to G4 pony, then we can procede to other popular ponies.  I am going to suggest Firefly.  Now just so you know, she is not actually my favorite pony personally so this is not me campaigning for my favorite pony.  But Firefly is a featured character in the first special.  She was one of the first ponies inducted into the pony hall of fame.  And also a lot of bronies like her, too, and I think we should definitly take advantage of that.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:44:45 AM by Sunset »

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on getting some G1 to G4 ponies from Hasbro
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »
I think Firefly would be a great choice, and probably one of the most likely releases.

I personally would love Glory, she's my all time favorite and I've seen her on a lot of the new G1 shirts.

Maybe Snuzzle would be a good choice since she's been on the MLP Fair Logos?

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »
I always wished Firefly would be Rainbow Dash's mom. :) I agree!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
Ok - so I am clearly going to say Baby Fifi :P

But I actually agree and see your point. In addition I think Hasbro does like its little nods to bronies and Firefly is a pony which has some acceptance in that community so perhaps Hasbro can feel as though they are covering all their bases.

Plus...SHE IS PINK!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
I don't know about ONE pony.  We also have the copyright/trademark crap to put up with.  The less trips to the patent office Hasbro has to make the better for them.  However, if we concentrated on a set of six ponies (two of each main species) it would be better.  Perhaps start out with Faust's original picks for the Mane 6.  If that's a success then move onto perhaps the "Movie Star" Ponies from the 1986 film and the Twinkle Eye Ponies as Crystal Ponies.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »
I would be all for it, but I would like a different pony ^^; Like Twilight or Glory :D Firefly is too Rainbow Dashy for me. I LOVE RD, but wouldn't want two of her ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »
There is not a copyright issue with these ponies and with these names. That whole thing is just an excuse. And as Hasbro never actually said it - it was Faust which claimed that is what they told her - I still take any of that genuinely having been actually said with a giant pinch of salt.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Hasbro trademarking a G1 pony name. Applejack's very existence in the G4 line - in her G1 colours, symbols is enough evidence let alone getting down in to the legalities of it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »
Also, Hasbro created the original ponies and first set of rainbow ponies for the 25th anniversary so they couldn't be a copyright issue :)
My Wish List

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Butterscotch, Firefly, and Bluebell wouldn't be too risky for them, either.  They have really cute color combos that aren't found on any current G4s that I can think of.

Also, either G1 had a lot of really cute purple ponies with blue manes, or my mom and I are color-biased, because that's most of my childhood pony memories. :)  This may also be the reason why when I created Zena, I settled on a purple pony with a blue mane.

A couple of the babies wouldn't be a bad idea either, as the G4 line seems to be awfully short on fillies.  I'm thinking maybe Baby Lucky (no boy G4 babies yet!), Rainribbon, or Pineapple.  Picked them for the possibility of easy trademark, and the pleasant color schemes that could sell really well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:52:16 AM by cleverLC »

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I would be ok with any lol, anything other than the core 6

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
I don't know about ONE pony.  We also have the copyright/trademark crap to put up with.  The less trips to the patent office Hasbro has to make the better for them.  However, if we concentrated on a set of six ponies (two of each main species) it would be better.  Perhaps start out with Faust's original picks for the Mane 6.  If that's a success then move onto perhaps the "Movie Star" Ponies from the 1986 film and the Twinkle Eye Ponies as Crystal Ponies.

The reason I thought one pony would be better is because I just don't know if Hasbro would be willing to do a whole group at once.  I'm not saying that we should only have on G1-G4 pony ever, but that it might be easier to get Hasbro to try it out on one.  Once they figure out there is a market, then we can start campaigning for more.  Plus, if we are all chanting the same name, then Hasbro is more likely to hear us.  The more you split that up the more it all just starts to sound like chatter. 

Now I'm not saying that a group wouldn't work.  But there are some problems with doing a group.  First of all, we would need to keep it down to a very small number of very specific ponies.  Otherwise, it is too tempting for everyone to just split off and lobby for their own favorite pony.  Then we would need to come up with a unifying name or slogan for that group.  I agree that the G1 ponies that Lauren Faust based FiM characters off of would be a very likely group.  But it is quite a mouthful to be running around saying "the G1 ponies that Lauren Faust based the mane 6 off of."  And not as catchy or likely to stick in Hasbro's collective mind as single pony name.  Btw, that would be only 5 ponies since there is no point in lobbying for Applejack.

If we decided to do a group, I would also say that another likely group would be the ponies being used the most  for the retro merchandising.  Let's see, that would be Firefly, Glory, Sundance, Snuzzle/Peachy ( I have a hard time telling the difference on some of the pictures I have seen of the merchandise) and that princess pony that keeps popping up but I don't remember her name.  Clearly Hasbro already thinks these ponies are popular and there is already merchandising built in.

One added note,  I think we need to make sure that Hasbro knows that we want G1 characters in G4 molds.  I just don't think Hasbro will ever try doing the retro G1 molds again.  And to be honest, I don't think they would sell as well to children as G4 molds and all of the G1 characters we are talking about are common enough that most of us already have them in our collections or can buy them for fairly cheap. (Those are a couple of reasons that I don't believe the retro collections sold well.)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
If you gonna do it, Minty, have to have her.  I love the G1 Minty.  Or Mimic.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
I've seen Gusty on a few retro t shirts and Sundance too so I'm championing them myself. Firefly is too much like Rainbow Dash (don't get me wrong I love Firefly but not enough to ask Hasbro to make her).

I don't think they will be more likely to make a single pony we want than a group of six ponies. If Hasbro bother to listen to us at all they'd probably take the idea of making some G1s into G4s and then pick their own choices ignoring the little people. Remember FiM is their cash cow so it will come first before all other pony related things and Equestria Girls is their current big push on the market. I don't think it likely that they will go with the idea anytime soon no matter how many collectors ring their doorbell.

It's a good idea though  :biggrin: I think if you wanna set something like that up then go ahead, bring the masses to Hasbro and demand a Firefly I'll be in the shadows occasionally shouting out the word Gusty  :biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
When I first heard about the "we lost the trademark" rumor in regards to why Applejack was the only G1 pony in the G4 universe my husband was quite skeptical.  He's a paralegal and one of his jobs is registering trademarks so he went to one of the databases he uses and looked up a few of them, I remember Firefly and Moondancer in particular.  Hasbro has merely let their trademark lapse.  Trademarks are quite specific.  While Firefly may be quite a popular name a "fashion doll in the shape of a horse with accessories" named Firefly (not a direct quote but it was something like that) is not being used elsewhere.  It is not a question about whether they can get the name trademarked again, it's a question of whether they think it is worth it to renew the trademark.

I would love G1 ponies as G4 and am quite willing to join any campaign to get whatever pony is agreed upon in the spotlight.  I think it's reasonable to expect that if one pony does well others might follow but I can offer no guesses as to how difficult it may be to even get one produced.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
Hey many bronies want to see G1 ponies too, like myself! I think firefly must be rainbows mom, Posey should be Fluttershy's mom, and her dad a pegasus, and she was raised by her dad in cloudsdale perhaps because her mom decided that he should raise her since she was born a pegasus. Fizzy is my all time favortie G1 I would love for the group to just travel somewhere "dream valley"? Or another locaton in equestria where you would see many G1 ponies even if they are backgrounds. Also a flashback with Applejacks parents and how they died perhaps her mom was the original Applejack, and the dad Tex?

For Sale Wants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal