collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Magnetic G3 Pony and Laptop?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
Magnetic G3 Pony and Laptop?
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
I just placed a G3 pony on top of my laptop (below the keyboard, to the right of the finger mouse pad & on top of the fingerprint sensor) WITHOUT thinking. :stressed: Then I ran to another room for 30 seconds before coming back & realizing that I put the pony's magnetic hoof ontop of my computer.

Are the G3 pony magnets strong enough to cause laptop damage? (Or is 30 seconds too short to cause any significant damage?)

Has anyone put a pony (or magnet) near their laptop before and had (no) issues?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:59:02 AM by Cadence »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic G3 Pony and Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
Now that I think about it, I've done that too to take a picture of my orange ponies all grouped together.  I don't think it affects it that much; nothing happened to my laptop.  Actually, this happened like a month ago and I never remembered the magnets until you mentioned it! XD

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
Now that I think about it, I've done that too to take a picture of my orange ponies all grouped together.  I don't think it affects it that much; nothing happened to my laptop.  Actually, this happened like a month ago and I never remembered the magnets until you mentioned it! XD

:tellme: Hahaha well then, it's a good thing I posted this to remind you! :P
Thanks, I feel relieved now.  ^^; The magnets gave me such a scare though, they're pretty strong compared to the ones on my fridge!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
Well, the only damage you have to watch out for is hard drive data damage. Provided that the pony isn't placed directly over the hard drive, it's fine. And even if you did do so, the damage isn't permanent and can be fixed with a check disk scan, or at worst case (in case windows starts complaining about missing files and such), a windows reinstall (though any data on the disk not backed up is gone permanently :/ ). If you have one of those uber-exspensive uber-fancy solid state disk hard drives tho, then even magnetic fields won't damage your data.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:46:57 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
Computer geek hubby flips if DD puts a G3 anywhere near a laptop.  Maybe overcaution, who knows with him.  ;)
:socks:   :frog:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
Personally it is not worth the risk. Whether the magnet is powerful enough to have an actual effect I am not certain - but I have heard too many stories and seen too many distorted monitors and screens to ever risk it myself.

I would urge caution but on the sensible [i.e. no G3 magnet ponies dancing along the top of your laptop] and not extreme [i.e dont decide never to use a laptop near a G3 ever again] side of caution. :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
My computer desk is also my customs workspace, so I have G3's within probably six inches of my laptop; no problems yet, but I never place them on my computer - just to be safe.
Though DH did put a G3 on top of my closed computer once. No damage, but I did kinda freak out XD

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
Well, the only damage you have to watch out for is hard drive data damage. Provided that the pony isn't placed directly over the hard drive, it's fine. And even if you did do so, the damage isn't permanent and can be fixed with a check disk scan, or at worst case (in case windows starts complaining about missing files and such), a windows reinstall (though any data on the disk not backed up is gone permanently :/ ). If you have one of those uber-exspensive uber-fancy solid state disk hard drives tho, then even magnetic fields won't damage your data.
Whew, much thanks for the technical advice RAMChYLD! Good to know. :)

Personally it is not worth the risk. Whether the magnet is powerful enough to have an actual effect I am not certain - but I have heard too many stories and seen too many distorted monitors and screens to ever risk it myself.

I would urge caution but on the sensible [i.e. no G3 magnet ponies dancing along the top of your laptop] and not extreme [i.e dont decide never to use a laptop near a G3 ever again] side of caution. :P
I agree with you Hathorcat!  ^.^ (Though lil' paranoid me will probably be taking "extreme" precaution from now on :P)

Rybett, Kalavista, it's good to have tech (well, magnet) savvy husbands. XD  (I would've freaked out too! :P)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
I have heard too many stories and seen too many distorted monitors and screens to ever risk it myself.
Well, that only applies to the old-school CRT displays tho. LCD and LED displays are generally immune to magnetic gauss. Not sure about plasma displays, but I reckon they should be immune too.

Whew, much thanks for the technical advice RAMChYLD! Good to know. :)
YW :) Still, reinstalling Windows can ruin a whole day for one tho, so best to take precautions :) If you know where the hard drive is on your laptop, just avoid putting ponies there :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:37:13 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
They are super strong magnets, I would not put them near any electronics you value.  I know members have put them on top of TVs before and had the screen go all wonky.

IIRC, there was actually a news story about a little kid accidentally messing up an older relatives pacemaker with a G3 pony.  :/  *hunts around*  Yep, here it is:  http://hallbuzz.com/news/breitbart.htm

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A small magnet in a toy may have disabled the computerized regulator in a woman's pacemaker; causing her death.

Kathy M. Williamson watched as her three year old daughter played with a toy on her grandmother's chest; within a minute Williamson’s 81 year old mother, Eleanor Roberts, went into cardiac arrest.   Cardiologist Russell Hughes suspects that the close proximity of a magnet in a foot of a "My Little Pony" to the pacemaker in Roberts’ chest caused the computer in the pacemaker to malfunction and produce an impossible heart rate, resulting in heart failure and death.  Hughes stated that magnets have been known to disrupt some pacemakers but are only dangerous if they are within four inches of the regulator.  “A small magnet would have to be in direct contact with the chest directly over a pacemaker to cause failure.” Hughes stated.

Paramedics arrived within five minutes, but were unable to revive Roberts.  Williamson reportedly was so distraught over the ordeal that she burned a collection of over 100 of the small plastic toys.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Phekzhen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »
It's generally a good idea to keep magnets away from electronics in general. They can also mess up CRT screens and monitors, too. A hard drive can be replaced, but data can't!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
Paramedics arrived within five minutes, but were unable to revive Roberts.  Williamson reportedly was so distraught over the ordeal that she burned a collection of over 100 of the small plastic toys.
Ow.

Hmm... News dated 2008? Maybe it explains why Hasbro hastily reboot the franchise to G3.5?
It's generally a good idea to keep magnets away from electronics in general. They can also mess up CRT screens and monitors, too. A hard drive can be replaced, but data can't!
Agreed. Although, it should be noted that Speakers and headphones contain magnets too. So yeah.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:30:47 PM by RAMChYLD »

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
I made a video demonstrating the strength of hard drive magnets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEG-s9XC0II

These are in EVERY HARD DRIVE. Unless it's a SSD. They are wicked strong and they are inside your hard drive. A G3 pony on a notebook won't do diddly.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »

These are in EVERY HARD DRIVE. Unless it's a SSD. They are wicked strong and they are inside your hard drive. A G3 pony on a notebook won't do diddly.
I should add that most modern laptops that are sensibly designed have shielding over the hard drive compartment to prevent magnetic data damage too. Still good idea to play safe tho.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:09:52 PM by RAMChYLD »

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
IIRC, there was actually a news story about a little kid accidentally messing up an older relatives pacemaker with a G3 pony.  :/
:(
There really should have been more obvious "do not put pony near..." warnings on the packages... I'm glad they stopped putting magnets in hooves!

I made a video demonstrating the strength of hard drive magnets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEG-s9XC0II

The video is set to private so we can't see it... :P But whew, what a relief!

Thanks for the tech advice everyone! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal