collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Discovering "new" ponies  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Discovering "new" ponies
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
I love discovering ponies that are new to me.  It is so exciting to see a G1 pony that I have never seen before!  Last year I discovered Pillow Talk at a toy convention and I snatched her up!  This year I discovered Baby Lucky Leaf on eBay - unfortunately didn't win her though. I have been 80's toy collecting for 17 years now and I love new discoveries like these ones! The only reason I can think as to why I haven't seen them before is because I make my pony wish lists from Dream Valley and some of the ponies you can't see very well or see their symbols are covered by their mane. Has anyone else had any similar discoveries of ponies they didn't know existed?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Discovering "new" ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
Mostly G2, G4 and a few G3s here and there. Also G1 Nirvanas and country exclusives.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
There are Nirvanas that I discover over and over again because I forget that I had already seen them before. ;) Then there are really rare Nirvanas that I actually didn't know about that pop up from time to time. :)

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:45:38 PM »
I keep discovering new G3 ponies all the time. :) Also the ones I forgot I'd seen once. :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:04 PM »
I don't think there are any G1 surprises let for me now (accept for nirvanas), but I remember just before I started collecting how I was amazed at all the different types of G1s (my childhood collection was small and stopped in 1987). The first G1 I added to my collection was Whizzer because I was curious about the Twinkle Eyes.

It was a surprise discovering Sweet Clover after collecting for many years! I fell in love with her straight away and bought both variants soon after.

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »
I think most of the nirvana ponies have suprised me, that and the fact that there are still unboxed ponies out there! The talking ponies are also something I hadn't seen, never the less did I ever imagine to find one that still talked.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »

It was a surprise discovering Sweet Clover after collecting for many years! I fell in love with her straight away and bought both variants soon after.
That's because her marketing over here sucked. ;)

I discover random G4 I haven't seen before but I'm not actively looking so it depends on my mood whether I buy them or not. (Currently really liking how cute the chibi Kinder ponies are, though they are just plain old mane 6).

I remember before I got online, though, and we'd pick up ponies at the carboot sale and not have a clue who they were because they weren't formally sold in the UK. We had Pink Dreams and the slumber pony twins from a local market stall in odd packages without names. We had Baby Leaper, Diamond Dreams and Himmelstaenzer all from these kinds of finds.

Weirdest experience was Hippety Hop. This was after going online at the local library, but our only reference back then was DV (back when DV still had only drawings of all ponies, but back when it was the only ID site going and before all the issues over errors)...
And so DV talked about so soft ponies, but we never had fuzzies here. So soft was a term used for plush ponies, so we assumed...that the SS ponies were plush. Then we found Hippety Hop at a local carboot sale and...yeah.

Sister and I were both like O.O WHAT THE HECK? ITS FURRY!

Took a while to realise who she was and that SS ponies weren't plush but fuzzy ;)

Also remember the first time we found a perfume puff - sister found Dainty Dahlia at a boot sale and brought her home. We both thought something horrible had happened to her hair at first, and then I remembered these were drawn funny in the comic, and we went and checked and found who she was. But PP hair is awesome, so I'm glad we didn't try to fix her before checking!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:34:09 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:02:10 AM »
I have been in the hobby for a while now and love to still see new ponies that I never knew about! When I found this site along with ebay I could not believe how many different kind of ponies where out there! I only knew of what I saw as a child growing up in my small little town. What they got in the stores is what I only knew about!

I had never seen a So Soft pony before! I had never seen a Sea pony with her shell! And I never knew there where Summer Wingers along with Flutter Ponies! It was out of this world!

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
That's a cool story Taffeta!

I'm currently "discovering" so-softs.

When I first got back into G1 ponies (only last year, first time since 1980's!) I didn't have a clue who most of them were. When I saw some of them (colourswirl, birthday pony, and a few others) I was like "woah!! Who graffitied on the ponies!!!" I thought they were a little grotesque lol!! Then, when I saw the pony friends, I thought Hasbro had gone crazy!!

But I instantly loved some of the ponies I'd never seen before- the Rainbow Curls, Dream Beauties, and some of the TAFs. I think I must have grown out of ponies just before they were released.The last pony I remember getting was a princess brush and grow- Stargleamer.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

When I first got back into G1 ponies (only last year, first time since 1980's!) I didn't have a clue who most of them were. When I saw some of them (colourswirl, birthday pony, and a few others) I was like "woah!! Who graffitied on the ponies!!!" I thought they were a little grotesque lol!! Then, when I saw the pony friends, I thought Hasbro had gone crazy!!

You mean Hasbro didn't go crazy? XD

The tattooed ones, as you call it - in issue 200 of the MLP comic there is a photo on the club page of some girl's collection. I always remember it, because it's a big collection, and in it were those ponies. Colorswirls and flower fantasies and ponies we just didn't have over here. And as a kid I was fascinated by this image because it was like she had 'not real' ponies, but there they were. I couldn't explain it and neither could sister.

And then online happened. And suddenly it was explained O.o.

But weird as I thought they were as a child, because of that image, when we found out what they actually were, it was more of a relief that they were real, and someone hadn't just abused a bunch of ponies for kicks.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:13:09 AM »

You mean Hasbro didn't go crazy? XD

The tattooed ones, as you call it - in issue 200 of the MLP comic there is a photo on the club page of some girl's collection. I always remember it, because it's a big collection, and in it were those ponies. Colorswirls and flower fantasies and ponies we just didn't have over here. And as a kid I was fascinated by this image because it was like she had 'not real' ponies, but there they were. I couldn't explain it and neither could sister.

And then online happened. And suddenly it was explained O.o.

But weird as I thought they were as a child, because of that image, when we found out what they actually were, it was more of a relief that they were real, and someone hadn't just abused a bunch of ponies for kicks.

:lol: Maybe they did go a little crazy!! I was a bit freaked out by the "eyelash pony"!!!  :lol:

Yeah- it did seem strange to have different ponies! My friend had that other Snuzzle from a different country- is it "Jenny"? And when I was a kid I was like "that's not a My Little Pony- that's a fake!"  :lol: I just didn't get it!

I used to read the comics too- I loved them. I wish I'd kept all my club member stuff too. I had so many letters from Majesty!!  :lol: I must have sent a picture in every month!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
I think about the only thing that I discover are Nirvana variants.  I might have binge read My Little Wiki when I got into collecting.  Maybe.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »
Back when I was a kid, I had one Twinkle Eyed pony and that was Sweet Stuff. I'd never seen another TE pony throughout my childhood, and since my Sweet Stuff came from the Salvation Army I never saw her packaging or anything. However, since I grew up the cartoons, I figured Masquerade, Fizzy, etc... must exist. Jump forward to when I became interested in MLP again, maybe 8 years ago. I was stunned to discover there are 15 different TE ponies.

Similarly, I never knew there were second sets of both Princess ponies and So Soft ponies until my renewed interest in MLP.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 05:34:53 AM »
Now I can say I know every G1 there is (including most Nirvanas), but until 2007 I only knew the ones I knew as a child. I never stopped loving and collecting ponies, but it was only in 2007 that I got the idea to look for pony pictures on the internet. I had no idea ponies had actually become a "thing" by then... The first ponysite I found was Dream Valley, and there were all these amazing ponies I had never seen before! :shocked: So softs, wingers (I knew wingers from the comics, but I had no idea they were actually made), a second set of flutters... And I suddenly got to see the missing ponies from sets I only had one or two of (secondhand, so I didn't know what other ponies were in those sets), like the sparkle ponies... It was pony heaven. XD :heart:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline gullideth

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
I'm feeling the same, I just started collecting after deciding I must replace my lost childhood ponies. I don't recognize a lot of the ones that came out after I discovered hair bands, lol.
So my friend sold me her old ponies for a reasonable 40.00 for 8 G1s and 2 fakies. Diamond Dreams was in that group and I didn't even realize she was worth the 40 by herself. I feel bad now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal