collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 95683 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2022, 04:17:32 PM »
Daiya

Spoiler
I'm so excited that Seidou won. :D  Now I can go back to hoping for another season of the anime.

I've been thinking about it, and I wouldn't mind the story continuing as long as Miyuki and the rest of his class stay active in the story and don't just become "guest characters" (not showing up all of the time).

I've always thought that line at the beginning of Act 2 (I think it's something like "That was the day it began...")  when Eijun takes the dirt from the stadium when they're leaving after losing to  Komadai is significant.  Is that the same line that's in the manga?

I think Eijun would make a great pro player. :D   I'd love to see Eijun and Miyuki on the same pro team someday.

I'm hoping to pick up Yona 37 next week.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:09:21 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #541 on: October 01, 2022, 02:00:17 AM »
I have vol 39 in my amazon.jp basket, along with vol 31 of Daiya Act II. I'm just waiting because I'm convinced there'll be another Daiya volume in October, given the usual span of time between them...and I'd rather save the shipping cost. Especially since the exchange rate right now is horrible thanks to our incompetent govt.

On Daiya, I'm going to babble in a spoiler, you can read or not as you see fit.
Spoiler
I really liked this chapter, and not just for the Seidou celebrations.
Spoiler
I noticed that Inajitsu are cursed with the 2-1 scoreline. They lost to Ugumori by the same final score in the autumn tournament.

I guess Mei's fear that this generation was a weak link has come to pass, although Mei himself is not a part of that weak link IMO.

I don't feel like the rest of Inajitsu had to face the same challenges that Mei did, and thus didn't grow or develop like the Seidou lot did. They chose to go with Mei and picked the easy path - and it profited them while they had Harada etc to help them, but in the end they fell short.

BUT what I really want to mention about this chapter is how nicely it presents Mei.

First, as the senpai supporting Itsuki who is frankly broken, but secondly, with his interaction with Miyuki afterwards.

And now we move on to Koushien. But the manga is on hiatus until Oct 12th.

There are rumours that there will be a season 4 of Daiya in Spring 2023. It hasn't been officially confirmed but it would make sense. They tend to run long seasons with Daiya. The only question is whether they'll go back and animate the missing Yakushi/Ichidai Sankou game, or whether they won't.

I think most of the fanbase assumed the animators were waiting for the summer final to conclude in the manga before kicking off a new season. The anime and manga might not have been as popular stateside and in the west as Haikyuu (still not sure why) but it's very popular in Japan, and has a big following...so it seems unlikely there won't be a season 4 at some point.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 04, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »
It looks like I underestimated how much people were waiting for Yona 37 to come out in the US.  I'm glad it's so popular but Amazon. Rightstuf, Barnes and Noble online and the bookstore in the mall don't have it in stock.  It's possible that the bookstore hasn't got their shipment in yet.
 Sometimes they don't get it in time for release day.  It's been a while since I wasn't able to get a Yona book when I wanted to at the bookstore. If I would have known it would be this hard to get I would have preordered it from Amazon.

Adding to the mystery is the fact that Viz announced today that vol 37 was released in physical and ebook form as scheduled.  If that's true does it mean that most of the first shipment went to those that preordered the book?

Yona has 39 vols now? I was wondering if there was anything past 38.  I think i mentioned this before, but we have a placeholder date in the US for vol 38

Daiya

Spoiler
I want to make a comment about it taking way to long for a game that ended 2-1 to play (no pun intended) out, but I won't. :wink:

I'm glad Mei is being a good senpai to Ituski.  I don't have the advantage of knowing everything that's happened in the manga with Mei since the anime ended but Mei has grown a lot since the Ugumori game.

I hope Seidou has a better experience at Koushien.this time.

I really hope there is a 4th season of Daiya. Since they already started the tournament that just ended it should be easy to continue (that being said we have the Yona anime ending in a weird place).

I like Haikyuu but I love Daiya  more.  I wonder if the fact that it's harder to get the manga and access the anime (no dub, anime is only on Crunchyroll) in the US is a factor in why  Haikyuu is more popular here.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:35:00 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 06, 2022, 12:30:17 AM »
The availability might be a factor, which may also relate to timing since Daiya began in 2006 and if they were slow on the uptake in translating it it would've left them a lot of work to do. Haikyuu anime also has a dub version which helps increase people's attention. I agree that Daiya is better than Haikyuu overall, but I think the other thing is that Haikyuu is fairly gentle with no massive disasters, setbacks or emotionally destructive incidents. The characters are well-written but they don't get forced into the situations the Daiya ones do, because
Spoiler
unlike Daiya, the third years don't have to retire from the team at the same point
and
Spoiler
It follows a much more predictable line to get Karasuno to where they want to be.

The other thing about Daiya is that
Spoiler
it focuses on the powerhouse school, which isn't actually that common as far as I can see. The underdog narrative is more common (eg Karasuno as fallen champions, crows that don't fly, etc). I don't know whether that aspect resonates at all in the West more than in the East. I can't personally see why because Daiya is full of underdogs, both at Seidou and in opposition, but it's hard to know for sure.

I think it mostly comes down to the fact Haikyuu is gentler, though. It's an easy to watch/read sports series with good characters that probably isn't going to make you cry. Whereas frankly, it would be pretty weird to read/watch Daiya and not cry.

Vol 39 of Yona has Soo Won on the front, looking either startled or perturbed. Knowing roughly where 38 left things, this is a little concerning to me. I do think Yona is working towards a big finale but I worry about that finale quite a lot.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
When my manga was in storage, I kept a word file with all my titles so I could kinda keep track and half gloat over them. Decided to update it so it would make counting them easier (and kinda help if I ever need insurance).

... I am very foolish lol it's VERY out of date, and I chose a format that was close to the format of an old job, so it's a lot of work for stupid reasons!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »

The availability might be a factor, which may also relate to timing since Daiya began in 2006 and if they were slow on the uptake in translating it it would've left them a lot of work to do. Haikyuu anime also has a dub version which helps increase people's attention. I agree that Daiya is better than Haikyuu overall, but I think the other thing is that Haikyuu is fairly gentle with no massive disasters, setbacks or emotionally destructive incidents. The characters are well-written but they don't get forced into the situations the Daiya ones do, because
Spoiler
unlike Daiya, the third years don't have to retire from the team at the same point
and
Spoiler
It follows a much more predictable line to get Karasuno to where they want to be.

The other thing about Daiya is that
Spoiler
it focuses on the powerhouse school, which isn't actually that common as far as I can see. The underdog narrative is more common (eg Karasuno as fallen champions, crows that don't fly, etc). I don't know whether that aspect resonates at all in the West more than in the East. I can't personally see why because Daiya is full of underdogs, both at Seidou and in opposition, but it's hard to know for sure.

I think it mostly comes down to the fact Haikyuu is gentler, though. It's an easy to watch/read sports series with good characters that probably isn't going to make you cry. Whereas frankly, it would be pretty weird to read/watch Daiya and not cry.

Vol 39 of Yona has Soo Won on the front, looking either startled or perturbed. Knowing roughly where 38 left things, this is a little concerning to me. I do think Yona is working towards a big finale but I worry about that finale quite a lot.

I looked up the release date for the English digital version of Daiya and they started in 2017.  I can see how that might be a factor in why it's less popular in the West.  10 years is a long time for a manga to be translated in to English.  It's also published by Kodansha who have a habit of pouring more marketing and resources in to the best sellers and not doing the same for releases that aren't a guaranteed money maker. :(

Warning:  Small rant ahead.  :argh: :argh:

I'm a little annoyed at Viz right now. :(  They have several different subdivisions that print certain mangas.  I've never paid much attention to what division publishes which series, other than to notice that some have series have different labels on them.  Right now, there's some kind of problem with Viz' Shojo Beat division and the newest releases of Yona and Snow White with the Red Hair among others weren't ready before the expected release date to be sent out to bookstores and websites.  I understand problems happen, but one of the reasons I'm annoyed is that this information was only posted on Twitter.  There's nothing on the Viz Facebook page, Viz website or anywhere else that I can find about the delay. The other is that is if Viz knew there was a distribution problem, why did they wait until release day to mention it, and it was only after people started complaining that they couldn't find Yona and Snow White with the Red Hair in stores or online?   It's been months since the last Yona book come out in the US so I don't see why they weren't more forthcoming with information that there was a problem with Shojo Beat titles  As far as I know there's not a problem with the other divisions so I have no idea why whatever is happening with Shojo Beat isn't affecting the other series.

Amazon is now showing a November release date for Yona 37. They're also showing it at an increased price than the other volumes have been (Many Viz titles are around $10.  The price for Yona 38 on Amazon is $15).  I've been expecting the day when Viz would have to raise the prices on their books due to if inflation, so I'm curious whether that is another factor in the books being delayed.  I would still pay for the book even with the price going up 50% but again a little honest communication from Viz would go a long way.

I'm a little worried about Yona 37

Spoiler

Hak looks like he's been injured on the cover.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2022, 12:35:40 PM »
Yona/37
Spoiler
I haven't got 39 yet, but Hak was still alive in 38.

I wonder if they had a print run issue or something. I'm sure that there should be a volume of Daiya soon, but it's not been advertised and it's a bit odd. It's about average to be 1 every 3 months, and it's been 4 months and no announcement yet...

Though there were a lot of hiatus weeks over the summer so maybe that's it. Perhaps there are corrections to do...I dunno.

I ordered Yona 39 and Daiya A2-31 because I needed to get something else from amazon japan, and combined the orders.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »
Yona 37

Spoiler
That makes me feel better. :) I know sometimes the illustrations on the front don't have anything to do with the story but seeing Hak injured made me worried.  I also heard that 37 ends on a major cliffhanger.  I won't ask what it is though. ;)

Whatever the issue was with the Shojo Beat titles last week has been fixed and Yona 37 should be in bookstores soon.  I'm hoping the bookstore will have it in stock by this weekend. :D

I'm still a little confused though as some sites are showing different prices for Yona.  Rightstuf anime and Barnes and Noble show the full price as $10 but Amazon is still showing $14. I could understand if everyone increased the price, but why is Amazon higher than all the others when it's shipped and sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party seller? 

Edit:  Now Amazon is showing the same price as everyone else.  Maybe it was a mistake somewhere within Amazon.  I hope no one ordered it for the increased price only to see it go back down to the right one today. 

I'm waiting impatiently for Yona 37 to arrive at the bookstore or Amazon. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:41:18 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 14, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
Still waiting for Yona 37 to be in stock at the bookstore. :sigh:  I'll probably just order it from Amazon this weekend.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 17, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
So I was away for a few days, my manga arrived just before I left.

Yona 39
Spoiler
I think nobody died.

Daiya...the new chapter (Act II 306)
I don't suppose this needs to go in a spoiler as it isn't about the plot exactly...
The end of the chapter said "2 chapters from the end/final chapter".

...So. What does this mean...?

Spoiler
When Act I ended, it ended with the autumn final win. Koushien was just a kind of 'starting now' scene at the very end of the last chapter. Act II began with Koushien.
BUT.
Act II also began the new school year.

I did think there was a chance that he might decide to end Daiya with the summer final win and NOT take it further. Then again, because of how Act I went, I suppose I hope he'll take a proper break and then come back and write the summer tournament at koushien and finish it off properly.

...I guess we'll find out in a few weeks time.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2022, 06:54:14 PM »
I'm still waiting for Amazon to get Yona 37 in stock. I ordered it over the weekend, but the page keeps saying "will ship in 1-2" days.  I know I'm just being impatient though.  I got a shipping notification yesterday and thought it was for Yona but it was for the other thing I ordered at the same time.

Yona

Spoiler

I'm glad no one died.  I get worried about that from time to time especially when the covers hint at someone being hurt.   I also worry about Jaeha and Zeno the most.  Jaeha seems a bit more vulnerable than the others and I feel sorry that Zeno can feel all of the pain of dying even though he immediately regenerates. 

Daiya

Spoiler

I'm torn between wanting the story to continue and wanting it to end.  I really don't want to see Miyuki and the rest of his year mates leave Seidou and become side characters. 

I thought that it might end with the game ending too. If they can win  Koushien I wouldn't mind the series going on. 

I had forgotten that Act 2 started the new school year.  Now that you reminded me, I remember all of subtitle errors in that episode where it was showing everyone's year and position.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 19, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »
CR are so good at subtitle errors and Daiya has a few :P

Spoiler
I would like to see them play and win (?!) Koushien. I feel like this week's chapter (306) was a bit mean in that regard if he doesn't intend to come back and finish the story properly.

Spoiler
306 had the aftermath of the game still, but involved the reaction of a whole bunch of other characters, including those in Hokkaidou, so it felt like it was building up for the tournament...but also not? I don't know how to explain it really.

Miyuki had a text from Mima as well, a see you at Koushien one.

If they went on and won Koushien then I don't mind Miyuki and co retiring, because a: when Inajitsu were in the summer tournament the previous year there was some other tournament they were involved in right up to the start of the autumn tournament which meant the third years didn't retire yet and b: so long as Miyuki was still at the school, we'd see him maybe helping support the new team in some way.

It would be a positive not a negative.

I don't really want a third year for Eijun arc, but if there was an Act III that covered Koushien and then the rebuilding of the team to the new autumn tournament - I would be fine with that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2022, 05:59:21 AM »
I have learned that if there is a publishing delay in manga, find a way to buy your book by whatever means possible! 

Often that volume will NOT be re-printed and you'll be forced to search for it in other markets than just your local bookstore! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 21, 2022, 07:27:23 PM »
My copy of Yona 37 from Amazon arrived today. :cheer:  Ironically, the bookstore got their shipment in today too. 

It was just a few years back that I started buying Yona. Many of the earlier volumes are waiting to be reprinted now.  One day I noticed that the Viz logo was a little different on some of the volumes.  When I started looking closer, I saw that the ones with the different logo were part of the volume's first printing and some of the earlier volumes with the current logo are reprints.  I don't care what printing my manga is, but I find it interesting that some volumes hadn't exhausted their first printing yet when I bought them. 

Daiya

Spoiler
All of that is really interesting. I had forgotten about the other tournament that Inashiro was in, but now that you mention it, I think I remember a reporter saying something about Inashrio's 3rd years played longer than the other teams.

I'm just throwing ideas out now, but I think it would be nice to see Miyuki Eijun, Mochi and several of the other main characters on the same pro team for the final ending. :)  It's probably not realistic that they'd all end up on the same team, but we can dream. :D

Ponyfan

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 22, 2022, 08:31:04 AM »
Ponyfan I am so happy you were able to get your book.  :)  Publishing delays and cancellations are the WORST.

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal