collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Steven Universe anyone?  (Read 43963 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Universe anyone?
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
Well, Jasper and Peridot mentioned Yellow Diamond back when we first met them, so presumably they're working for her. Ugh, I've got and heard so many theories about what's going on...just, in general with this show!

Yeah, it's a kids cartoon, but it tackles such mature and complex ideas in such a careful and nuanced way, it's really not just for kids...I feel like it's the kind of show I and presumably the creators wanted when we were kids.

As for cosplay, I'll be Stevonnie with Steven's shield and Rose's sword at Otakon in July, and I'm working on Opal, but that's no where near done, so not this time. I'd love to cosplay Garnet too at some point, but I feel like I'm not sure if it's really OK for me, being white, to cosplay a basically black character...I mean, technically she's an alien, but still...I don't want to accidentally do something offensive. Even Stevonnie, I'm not entirely sure...

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Isn't Connie Hawaiian? :o
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Connie's Indian. Her last name is Maheswaran and the style of martial arts she's learning (and the outfit she's wearing) in Sworn to the Sword is a type from India. You can also see some photos in the background of her house in a few episodes that show some people wearing some Indian-style clothes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:37:35 PM by Elisto »

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
As for cosplay, I'll be Stevonnie with Steven's shield and Rose's sword at Otakon in July, and I'm working on Opal, but that's no where near done, so not this time. I'd love to cosplay Garnet too at some point, but I feel like I'm not sure if it's really OK for me, being white, to cosplay a basically black character...I mean, technically she's an alien, but still...I don't want to accidentally do something offensive. Even Stevonnie, I'm not entirely sure...

Coming from a black person who has always felt limited on what she could cosplay, I say go for it.  When it comes down to it, color, body size, etc. shouldn't dictate who you can and can't cosplay. ^.^  If anything, it just makes cosplaying so much more interesting when you see different types of people taking on certain characters.  If people only dressed up as characters they already look like, the cosplay scene would be pretty boring.

Anyway, looks like I'm starting Steven Universe from the beginning again because my fiance wants to watch it now. Yaaayyy! :P
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
Well, I agree, people should generally be able to cosplay who they like, and appearance doesn't have to matter if you don't want it to - that's not really the issue for me. Just, given white Americans' history of appropriated appearances and cultures, I'm not sure it's possible for me to get out of the shadow of that.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
Connie's Indian. Her last name is Maheswaran and the style of martial arts she's learning (and the outfit she's wearing) in Sworn to the Sword is a type from India. You can also see some photos in the background of her house in a few episodes that show some people wearing some Indian-style clothes.

Wow, I didn't know that about the martial arts!  That makes an amazing episode even more amazing.

I really have never watched a cartoon that handled "universe reveals" as subtly and amazingly as Steven Universe.  Like, you start out and you think it's going to be an airy, "lol random" show, like Adventure Time, but the world and backstory are slowly revealed, not to mention the Gems' deeper motivations.

Unnnngh, I love it so much.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »

Her mom is for sure Indian but me and my boyfriend were discussing the possibility that her father was Japanese.  At at least one point in the show she says something Japanese before she starts eating.  Looking at him I think he could be either Indian or Japanese, but it seems like something they wouldn't have randomly put in their for no reason.

Speaking of cosplaying what you want to, I really really really want to cosplay as Greg Universe because he's my favorite.  I actually had a really cool idea for a Rose/Greg fusion, so I'm going to do that even though it's been said in the show that it isn't possible. xp

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2015, 07:39:29 AM »
Has anyone seen this yet?

I looked up the gem, its very pretty XD (looks better than jasper IMO)
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Nebula Light

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »

Ohmygoshohmygosh. This makes me think if it is a new gem to be introduced, or a fusion? Ahhh!

The episodes lately have been incredible. Just amazing. I can't wait to see more. Garnet is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites.

Offline Starie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »

Ohmygoshohmygosh. This makes me think if it is a new gem to be introduced, or a fusion? Ahhh!

The episodes lately have been incredible. Just amazing. I can't wait to see more. Garnet is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites.

Ahhhhhhhhhh  :freak: Another Steven Bomb so soon?! I'm so excited! Every episode is top notch and somehow they always outdo themselves. And a new gem!

Does anyone know if they're going back to regular schedules or is it that there wont be any new episodes until the next Steven Bomb?

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »

Ooooooooh! :frolic:

And you're right, the gem is very pretty.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »
Does anyone know if they're going back to regular schedules or is it that there wont be any new episodes until the next Steven Bomb?

There definitely won't be any more new episodes this month (all/most of CN's current shows had a week of premieres this month, it wasn't just SU - next week is Regular Show and I believe the week after is Teen Titans Go). I'd guess there won't be any more eps until Stevenbomb #3, but we probably won't know for sure until CN puts up their schedule at the beginning of July.

(I'm sure they'll go back to regular scheduling *eventually*, though; these recent weeks of premieres are probably just something they're doing over summer)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
IDK if anyone is still talking about it, but I'm like 80% sure that the "itadakimasu" said by Connie before eating is sort of meant to imply that she's a weeaboo/nerdy loner, not so much that she's half Japanese? But hey, I could be wrong! I never considered the alternative!

Also, WHY DOES STEVEN BOMB HAVE TO END?! How am I going to make it til July?! :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
IDK if anyone is still talking about it, but I'm like 80% sure that the "itadakimasu" said by Connie before eating is sort of meant to imply that she's a weeaboo/nerdy loner, not so much that she's half Japanese? But hey, I could be wrong! I never considered the alternative!

Also, WHY DOES STEVEN BOMB HAVE TO END?! How am I going to make it til July?! :yikes:
she said that?  :blink: I don't remember this LOL

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
She did say it.  And between that, her father's appearance, and the fact that her dad can't drive well I thought it might be a clue that he could be Japanese.  But she could just be a Japanese fan.. we just haven't seen any hint of that (manga, anime references, lack of getting to watch unrealistic tv, etc) from her that I've noticed.  Whereas we've actually seen a lot of Japanese references from Ronaldo and a couple from Steven.

So that's why me and my boyfriend thought her dad might be Japanese but it's all pretty vague evidence and we might be drawing links out of nothing. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal