collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
g4.5.5

This is my favourite name for the new gen :D

I forgot about G2's eye gems! I don't mind too much if one's missing, but I do try and avoid buying G2s with both gems missing. I'm not as picky about that as I am about other flaws, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 09:44:00 AM »
6. There is an exception to every rule, even this rule.

i love this rule

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »
My limitation is space, I already take up two rooms and 3 closets with my collection 😂

G1 Rules: I am a completionist for the US line and any country exclusives I like
. No more buying US ponies online, I try to get them locally from the marketplace, thrifting, collectors and toy shows etc
. I can buy country exclusive or accessories online
. No MIB MOC unless a real screaming deal
. Leave baity common ponies at the thrift store
. Ponies found in the wild take precedence over ones bought online if their condition is good
. Switch out ponies I find in better condition to avoid doubles
. That being said I am starting a glow n show army and mimic army but only when I find them in the wild
. I'm not actively completing the bbe babies 😂

G2 Rules:
. I'll buy them when I see them in the wild
. No doubles

G3 Rules:
. Only buy in the wild
. I pass them up unless it's something that looks unique and I know I don't have it (like the 2007 Pony Fair Exclusive Pinkie Pie I found at Savers a month ago)
. I need to inventory what I have before I get more
. No G3.5

G4 Rules:
. No buying of them in store or in the wild (I bought enough of them when the line first started)
. No EQG or G4.5 G4.5+ etc
. I keep blind bag ponies if they come along with ponies I do want from the thrift store
. Any G4(.5) ponies that are bagged with G1 ponies from the thrift store go into a pile for the FB marketplace

General Rules:
. No merch unless found in the wild
. Sell off doubles/triples/etc to make money for new ponies and accessories
. A set monthly budget for ponies. A cash budget for wild finds and a credit card limit for online purchases

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 05:28:40 PM »
I forgot about fakies. The only one I really, really want is an orange Princess Rinse 'n Spit.

Right there with ya!

I'd kill for a blue or green one! They're just so horrifying and I love it, lol! I love weird wacky stuff like that. Concerned Fakie is also on my wishlist. Aside from those two, I don't really collect fakies and only have 3, and they are the kind that stole real MLP molds and just made them really, really tiny! That's why they appealed to me.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 05:56:08 PM »
Oh man, yes. I recently went through and identified the strongest groups and sub-themes in my collection, and will be letting go of everything that doesn't fit, so many randos! Spoiler alert: I decided to keep all space/sky ponies, but am letting go of the sweets/treats. It feels great to have a better handle on my wishlist and what my collection will look like as it grows. 
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 06:41:49 PM »
Since I have that many Phonies now, I only want Hasbro-mould ones eg: Crumpet pose, that glittery green G3 pose (seriously wanted for a Custom), one Princess Rinse & Spit etc, & apart from Princess Rinse & Spit the others WILL be Customised!!! I may even have to shift a whole bunch to make room!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 07:12:18 PM »
-I do not collect G4’s unless I’m at a dollar store and it’s just cheap, it be one of those extremely rare times where I do feel like having some, or if I get them as a gift

-No duplicates

-This one is quite a search because it has to be low price because I don’t have a good paying job (but that will change when I get a better job)

-Bait ponies that I will not be able to restore or that can be restored but I have no materials nor better experience on how to do it

-For the most part, I prefer bait or ponies that need some fixing up because I like cleaning and making them pretty! So if it’s a common pony, I’ll just find another one that’s not in the greatest condition, however if it’s a rare pony, in good condition or not, I will get it

-Kinda goes for the restoring bait ponies, white/light ponies that are yellowing or marks, if they have stuff like glitter symbols, twinkle eyes, magic message, etc. anything that can ruin them when using hydrogen peroxide, I would not want

-No fakies, unless it’s Princess Rinse n Spit because I feel like as a kid I’ve seen that pony before!

-No interest in blind bags

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 03:50:43 AM »
Hmm, I've got a few

G1: Only the ponies that I really, really like. No playsets and no duplicates from various countries that look the same. So Italy vs. HK
G2: Too late, I have them all. But I don't hoard armies. Do I need that MOC, or do I enjoy it more as a loose and complete set?
G3: I have 20 right now, I'm not buying new ones ;) And no G3.5
G4: No Mane Six re-release version 3571. Only unique ponies, if I like them. But again, no G4.5 in general (Sandbar was the exception I think)

With the exception of G2, I'm not collecting anything blindbag or McDonalds etc :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 11:22:07 AM »
I love cute fakies. :D
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
Well, I've decided to restrict myself to the following self-imposed rules:

- space (my display cabinet is almost full, so the few doubles I have need to find a new home soon)
- I mainly collect G1, plus a few G3, but my focus is definitely on G1
- apart from the ponies I've owned since childhood, I only buy ponies I like (pose, colours, symbols!), I'm not trying to complete sets
- I've set myself a goal of collecting all G1 with a cat symbol. Thankfully there are not that many, but it seems I stumbled accross the HQGQC 2nd version Kitty Love a few months too late. That pony is right up my street, pose- and colour-wise, plus it comes with a kitty companion  :inlove:
- I'm a very picky collector, so only ponies in excellent condition catch my interest. My childhood ponies are all in very good condition as well. The few that had frizzy hair were rehaired years ago.
- I don't really collect all the pony accessories (except for the animal companions). I'm just trying to get one of those cute stacking toys again, as at least one of my baby ponies had one of them.
- no BBE babies, they look weird
- I seem to have a particular fondness for aqua / turquoise coloured ponies
- I don't really care for glittering/pearlised and Fancy Pants ponies

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 07:29:11 PM »
Hm, as far as actual limitations I would go with SPACE as the #1.  I feel kind of maxed out right now so I probably need to find homes for a few duplicates and such before I get many new ones.  I mean...I would always make an exception for a Sugarberry pose pony I don't have yet  :lol:

Money is probably technically a close second, but I don't have a huge desire to have ALL the ponies RIGHT NOW, so I'm content with what I can afford for now.

Other things...yeah, no G3.5 for me.  Something about the faces does not work for me   :blush:

I don't think I have many other hard and fast rules I follow, nor do I try to complete sets.  Mostly I just buy ponies I personally like, or that I think need to be rescued and cleaned/restored (looking right at you, dirty thrift store ponies!).
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »
1. I try to focus on only the ponies I wanted during childhood.

2. It must be in nice condition.  A few stray marks are ok.

3. If not in a lot, no frizzy hair.

4. Restored ponies are ok, as long as it's history has been shared.

5. Duplicates are cool.  They always look a little different from one another and I like that.

6. Completing sets is not necessary.

7. If the price causes any stress, then I pass. Regretting purchases isn't fun.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2020, 05:25:15 AM »
1. Money.

2. I collect only what I love. So there are certain ponies that I will likely never have in my collection, although my esthetic preferences may change over time (which is why I now have sea ponies and princesses in my collection where in years past I never wanted any). I also focus on brushables, although I do have a few plushies and I enjoy miniatures (mommy charms, petites, blind bags).

3. No fakies, with the exception of Takara fakies and some HQG1C. I like several others but not enough to start a secondary collection of them.

4. No duplicate characters. Even my army ponies have strict guidelines. I won’t keep every Snuzzle that I get, but I do want all the Nirvana versions. The Twilight Sparkle army is made up of very different looking designs.

5. Space. I do have a pony room, and so far I still have space, but playsets are a big issue for me (and I love them so much).

6. No .5 generations. It’s not even that I don’t like them, I just don’t feel like they have a place in my collection.  They don’t fit with the other gens.

7. For the most part I limit merchandise to birthday party supplies, stationary, and stickers. Also pamphlets and back cards. This is down to space, because the vintage merch has so many cool pieces and I prefer to focus on brushables instead.

EQG doesn’t even have a rule. I have never been a doll person. I have some of the minis because I find them cute, but even these are likely to be downsized.

Elf

Offline Cwk123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 07:04:33 AM »
Quick question...in your post you mentioned Rainbow Dash mom... What’s her name? Anyone have a pic?

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »
This is the only Rainbow Dash Mum I know of other than the never-made-as-a-brushable Windy Whistles

She was sold as mum to Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash & I call her Rainbow Love. She & her Newborn Cutie came wi a shopping trolley. I think a lot of folks would like G3 Customs of her, Cherrylou (Cheerilee & Scootaloo's mum), & Pinkie Pie's mum
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:22:59 AM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal