collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HELP! cant attach head  (Read 1370 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
HELP! cant attach head
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:55:17 AM »
ok iv got a a white bait that im using for this custom, iv noticed over the years that white ponies at least G3's are very hard to get things to bond to, im assuming its because the plastic seems a lot harder/less porous then other colors...  :enraged: for the most part iv found easy fixes to getting around the many problems iv had with white baits.. however this time the solution is eluding me...

I CAN NOT get the head to stay on this custom  :yikes:
I usually use krazy glue for this step, up until now its worked alright. Iv even roughed up both sides of where the neck/head meets... I have no idea what to do now. is there a different sort of glue i should use? any advice would be great >____< I really dont want to start all over on this custom because i really like it. lol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:58:25 AM by truevampiress »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Bladespark

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
Re: HELP! cant attach head
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »
If you can't get a glue to work, you might consider pegging it. :)  If you've ever assembled Ikea furniture, they have the little wooden pegs in between the pieces?  You can do that with toys, though I've never done it with a pony, but I've used it on miniatures.  You carve out small holes top and bottom in the plug, and put wires or little pegs or something that fits on them.  Glue the pegs in on both sides and you get a very snug bond, even if the glue isn't very good.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
ooh thats a good idea i might have to try that! thanks!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
ok i attempted the pegging... i didnt work as well as i had hopped.. i had shaved off TOO much of the neck unfortunatly >__< im really starting to worry about this..

anyone else have any ideas. im getting desprate, i dont want to re-do another pony from scratch .

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Random but: do you have apoxie sculpt?  That stuff sticks so well, maybe if you put a thin layer between them it'll harden and keep them together? 

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
i do not have it >__< I wish I did, but they dont sell it at all in my area and every time i think about buying it online some other issue pops up and im not able to order it.

jelzar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
use a glue gun, iv never tried this as iv never needed to, i dont know if the heat would melt the pony tho =/
i hope ypu figgure out a way

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Do you have acetone? I'd suggest cleaning off the neck and head sides as thoroughly as possible with acetone and trying the superglue again. Sometimes if you keep trying superglue and it builds up it just refuses to stick.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
use a glue gun, iv never tried this as iv never needed to, i dont know if the heat would melt the pony tho =/
i hope ypu figgure out a way

iv been thinking about doing this, but as sort of a last resort, hot glue in my experience is very delicate and doesn't actually "bond" with plastic very well. im looking around hardware stores looking for alternative adhesives that say they work well with plastic xD.

Do you have acetone? I'd suggest cleaning off the neck and head sides as thoroughly as possible with acetone and trying the superglue again. Sometimes if you keep trying superglue and it builds up it just refuses to stick.

I did a acetone wash before i started the re-heading process, i swear this pony just doesn't want a head T.T 

Post Merge: February 20, 2012, 12:27:39 PM

AH HA! I think I finally got it! xD I used a gorilla glue super glue (not that yucky yellow stuff) anyway I THINK i finally got the head to stay on! im going to let it dry for a bit longer and test it out. Hopefully it works out. Thank you everyone for your suggestions :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by truevampiress »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal