collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: buying ponys from shopgoodwill?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
buying ponys from shopgoodwill?
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
Not sure if this belongs hear, but after hours of scoring the net I can't find an answer :/ I've seen lots of ponys go though there I would like to bid on but shipping from them is always so high~ I know that they will combine if I win two lots within 7 days from the same goodwill but do they actually take anything off shipping when they do so? or still charge you the full amount? lol, if they did I might be able to justify buying from them occasionally...

[moving to TS for you ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:42:06 PM by hathorcat »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: buying ponys from shopgoodwill?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
I ll pop this over to TS for you where you will probably get the best advice!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
I worked at Goodwill in management for a number of years (it's been a while though so this may be outdated) and here is what they told us then the way shopgoodwill works.  Stores pick out high prices items to sell online when they thought they could get more for them that way or when the item was unsafe to have in the store (diamonds/theft inspiring electronics/etc).  They do combine shipping for items that come from the same store and end within 7 days of each other.  You must pay for both at the same time.  There is a weight limit.  The items are credited as sales to the store where they came from, that is why each store is considered a different seller and items will not be combined from different locations.  Also often we kept the items at our stores so we would have to transport them to each other to get them shipped out together, which they felt wasn't cost effective just to save the customer a few bucks.  That being said... they always overcharge shipping, by a lot.  So don't get too hopeful about the combine discount. I'm sorry... they were just awful about their shipping. 

Not a bad company.  I found most didn't know very much about toys so their descriptions and ideas about pricing were really so-so.  Also they throw away a lot of vintage merch because it isn't 'sellable'.  So their outlets are always a place to rock on on vintage stuff.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:10:45 AM »
Quite frankly, I would never ever buy from Goodwill online. Of course, I'm going by how they are in person. These are the same people that will put a $50 price tag on a beat up cd player because they saw one in new condition sell on Ebay for $40.

So if they can't tell that things are in poor condition in the store, I can't expect them to actually properly describe the item for an online auction.

Just be careful and you might get lucky but you might also get unlucky.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
Their rediculous shipping and handling charges have put me off several times. $4 and $5 handling fees- really?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
I've bought tons of ponies from them. For the really big lots the handling fee is worth it. They combine shipping up to 20 lbs. Now, I buy the lots for baits and most of them are in baity condition. The ones that are not I clean up and sell.

If there is one close to you that has pony lots, you can always opt for the local pickup, that way you don't have to pay the shipping (but you still pay the handling fee and the tax).

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
It really depends on what you're buying regarding costs and whether they're worth it or not. I bought a lot of ponies from ShopGoodwill because I spotted an FS Applejack peeking out from the back. I ended up paying less for the whole lot plus shipping than FS Applejack goes for alone. I did take a gamble on her condition but when she arrived she was really easy to fix up, she just needed her hair detangled and a paint spot removed. So I'll make a profit. But there are some lots that go for waaaay more than I would say they're worth even if they're split up and sold individually on eBay later.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
I personally do not shop on there.  I also do not donate to them.  And I will not get into it because it is for my own personal reasons.  :)

But I am sure there are folks who have had good experiences with them.  Just not me  :(
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
I personally do not shop on there.  I also do not donate to them.  And I will not get into it because it is for my own personal reasons.  :)

But I am sure there are folks who have had good experiences with them.  Just not me  :(

I am 100% with you. I refuse to donate to them either. I would much rather put up an ad on Craigslist for a needy family to get a bunch of free clothes or whatever than donate to the "middleman".

But yeah....is it really $9 to ship a pony (4 for shipping and 5 for handling)?

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
But yeah....is it really $9 to ship a pony (4 for shipping and 5 for handling)?

Well no, it's $4 to ship it, the rest is for handling. They never charge more for shipping than it costs. I've always paid very reasonable amounts for ponies there. You just have to figure the handling into the total so you know how high you want to bid.

Goodwill helps a lot of people, but they can't do that if they don't make anything on the stuff they sell. Yes, we all want great deals and plenty of ponies from Goodwill are just that. Yes, you can never be sure of the condition of the ponies but that's the gamble. If you don't want to gamble, don't bid.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
I will say as someone who has worked there that they fund a lot of excellent programs.  The people tend to be rude and I know the stores have some problems but as a company they really do train and employ those with handicaps and disabilities who would be otherwise unable to find employment.  They also have programs for the elderly.  (don't buy cars from them we don't check them out at all and we don't garuntee their condition) When I worked their 85 cents on the dollar went directly to the programs and the rest paid salaries and expenses.  So the company as a whole is doing some good out there.

They are not particularly knowledgeable about some areas.  If you get a good store or someone who specializes in toys like me then the prices are market value and people get angry.  If you get someone who knows nothing about toys then you have no idea what you might end up with. 

I know people have had bad experiences and I am not really attempting to change your mind.  But for those who know nothing at all about the company they do have redeeming features.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
I bought a lot of ponies without checking shipping and the S&H was more than the ponies! I did get some nice G1s but the shipping really throws me off. My tiny family business uses UPS all the time and we ship heavy parts all over the US, and the shipping charges are never as high as on shopgoodwill.com. They are really inflating their shipping costs.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
I have gotten some good deals on there but their shipping is outrageous, even compared to a year ago, gotta love the $4 handling fee.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal