collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think MLP will ever attempt Dream Beauties again?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
Re: Do you think MLP will ever attempt Dream Beauties again?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »
I would LOVE for DBs to come back. I like that they manage to be more horsey while still keeping many g1 features (the ears, eyes, and nostrils). I doubt Hasbro would bring them back but if basic fun did I'd buy them all. I would also love for  new characters with HQG1C.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 07:26:07 PM »
I just realised that to take pictures of the prototypes for the catalouge, they had to make 1 of each. That means at there's at least 1 of each irresistible, plus 1 prototype of all the ponies that were released.

I don't know where they would be now but it's possible they're in storage somewhere.

Idk may just be me but I'm hopeful they're still out there.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
I'd love to see the prototypes turn up, especially the white version of the merry-go-round Dream Beauty.  So pretty!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 02:19:29 AM »
I just realised that to take pictures of the prototypes for the catalouge, they had to make 1 of each. That means at there's at least 1 of each irresistible, plus 1 prototype of all the ponies that were released.

I don't know where they would be now but it's possible they're in storage somewhere.

Idk may just be me but I'm hopeful they're still out there.

Some prototype or production sample type ponies have come into collector hands or been found at random but most are still missing and whether they survived or not is unknown. What we do have in the community as a whole is already interesting, but probably only the tip of the iceberg overall.

I agree about the DB prototypes. I don't think any DB proto stuff has ever come to light though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 04:23:42 PM »
With as lot horse-ish fanart as I see and the beta g5 (art from leak) hooved, we'd have next gen just be like that :(

I liked DB, but as a part.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 06:52:39 PM »
With as lot horse-ish fanart as I see and the beta g5 (art from leak) hooved, we'd have next gen just be like that :(

I liked DB, but as a part.

I’m thrilled by the G5 concept art myself, but I agree that having traditional MLP-ish ponies as well would be the best situation. I can’t help but wonder if the clashing styles might have been DB’s undoing in the first place, though? The toys wouldn’t have been terribly compatible for play, so maybe kids chose to stick with ponies that matched their existing collection?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:58 PM »
Fashion Star Fillies were sold in the 1980s by Kenner before that company was acquired by Hasbro in 1991. Dream Beauties were created after that so... I think in a since Fashion Star Fillies inspired Dream Beauties a little

As a BIG fan of FSF, I didn't know that and found that really interesting!

I like this thread - some really good thoughts here. I'd never really thought about it, but I think freezetime has some really good points below re the differences between FSF and DB's, despite neither line lasting more than a couple of years apiece.

Idk if this is relevant but researching both Dream Beauties and Fashion Star Fillies, I would say I understand why DB failed compared to FSF.

FSF was all in all better, the colour schemes matched, the hair was beautiful, they didn't rely on gimmicks, their ponies had some backstory (not in the form of a story) their faces were a bit more stylised but still fitted with them overall. They came with more than just a comb and ribbon.

This may be more of an opinion but they're like actually grounded more in reality (i.e ones a mysterious Arabian from Paris, instead of a pony that takes girls from their world into ponyland) like with me, I would imagine me being in ponyland but with FSF I could imagine them popping up in a horse show in like the real world.

Why I believe DB failed, their horses just had regular straight hair, they had less appealing designs and their colours were a mixed bag, they had like a few temporary gimmicks. Perfume ponies would eventually run out of perfume cream, the trim n grow ponies might be subjected to real scissors and the other 4 didn't have any gimmick that would stand out.

The absolute biggest thing is there's no character, no story about their line or about them, they only had names while FSF had Jolene, Chloe, Tamara who had a story. The characters are important to sell, the best example is G4 with the mane 6.

I've had a couple of DB's go through my hands. Never liked them enough to keep them to be honest. FSF on the other hand, I hands down would go for them over DB's any day  :lookround:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal