collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shelves  (Read 2564 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Shelves
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
Just wondering what everyone is using for displaying their ponies/dolls/collectibles. I'm on the fence of trying an open shelf bookcase. Walmart has some pretty good deals on them with good review but I'm not sure yet. Currently, all my things sit on the top of my bookcases that all my books are stored in. I'm not huge on space right now. I have a spare room which doubles as a library/office. I'd like to also make it a showcase room for my things. I doubt my boyfriend wants all my dolls and what not spilling into the living room lol.

So what are you guys using? Basic bookcases? Wall shelves? Ideas would be great.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Shelves
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »
I have my g4s on the top of my ikea bookcase, and my g1s on a small shelf. Nothing fancy but it works perfectly in my bedroom.

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »
I used to have ponies/dolls sitting out in the air and I couldn't stand it. They get coated with dust and the constant re-cleaning is just a pain. We can't afford a bunch of glass cabinets so I have two mismatched glass door shelving things we got for awesome deals (one is intended as an entertainment center and the other for like dishes or something I guess).

My main display is covered in saran wrap because I was so sick of the dust >.< Its ridiculous and looks terrible (way worse in photos than real life) but it keeps my ponies clean! It works for now until I can score some cheap glass door displays off of Craigslist.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:46:23 AM »
Sadly my ponies are currently in a tub, but I want this SOOOOOOOO much to put my favourite ponies in:

If only it was cheaper...  :ack:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
Oooo I love that shelf. That would look really cute with pony dolls. I have a spare card table that I might use to display some things in my library. I don't want to block my books because that looks cluttered to me. I'm still considering an open shelf case. Especially for my dolls so they can be seen from every angle. Something like this:

My only concern is that because it's so open, my cats might be more encouraged to jump up and mess with my things. Ponies have hair that's very appealing to cats. Same for dolls lol

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 05:23:49 AM »
Billy bookshelves from ikea. They're inexpensive, sturdy, and easy to customize.

Elf

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
We re-did my pony room in the summer, and I went with the Ikea Algot wall shelf system. Basically you install the vertical rails to the wall, and they attach adjustable shelves.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »
On a bracket shelf high up above my bed...  getting horribly dusty!  :(  In fantasy land, I'd love to have a glass case for them, but those are just too expensive...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
I had mine in a pale bookshelf (they're packed away for now) but here's a pic of part of the shelf to get an idea :)

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »
Somewhere, someplace, when considering how to keep dust away from open-air bookshelves, i found a site where you could purchase thin, clear plexiglass-like stuff in various  sizes. The thinking was to attach them to the front of the shelves, even if only leaning them there until I figured out how to attach them without putting any holes in the bookshelves. I never bought them, and now I can,t recall where I found the stuff, but it,s out there, and for those who cannot afford glass door shelves, it's one possible solution to the dust problem. If I remember the website later, will report back in.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
I found 2 matching tulip wood veneer china cabbinets with glass doors and shelves on the upper 2/3 and wood doors on bottom 1/3 . With lights in the top. I use novels covered in paper towels as risers. I fond them For free on kijiji.

My blind bags are on cutsy mis-matched wall hanging shelves from value village and yard sales.

My flutters, summer wings and windy wings are in a display case made from an antique radio case, with the radio removed and a glass window where the radio face was.

I have a long open wood shelf in my bedroom that runs the length of the wall, Its nice but the dust is terrible.

My daughters G4`s are displayed in a breyer 2 story stable.

If I ever get a pony room I want Ikea billy book shelves with glass doors.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
I had mine in a pale bookshelf (they're packed away for now) but here's a pic of part of the shelf to get an idea :)

I like this set up but it makes it kind of hard to see a lot of the ponies  :cry:

I've thought about watching the thrift store for a decent china cabinent. You can usually get them there for like 75 bucks where I live. But so far the only ones I've seen haven't really been as open as I would like. For now, I have a card table set up in my spare room.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:35:57 AM »
Sadly my ponies are currently in a tub, but I want this SOOOOOOOO much to put my favourite ponies in:

If only it was cheaper...  :ack:

Oh yes, very pretty! And as others mentioned, perhaps using sheets of thin perspex (I have seen sheets sold in UK DIY stores) cut to size and then attached with Velcro/loop-hook tape to stop the dust getting in?

As others have said - IKEA's Billy cases are an inexpensive yet great option too - again, you have to think about protecting your herd from exposure to dust.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 02:38:32 AM »
Because I only have a small herd, they live on a bookshelf in my room. Since my radiator is broken, I display my dolls on top of that as there's just about enough space
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:40:56 AM by CanterCadance »

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »
Check out the LACK floating shelves from Ikea- I liked their minimalist design (so the visual focus stays on the ponies!) and they're available in a variety of sizes and finishes. My collection is on 4 of the 72" birch veneer ones.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal