collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rainbow High?  (Read 30555 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Rainbow High?
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »
Esbayne, I totally understand your breaking down with her. I love all three of that set, but they're so expensive here. I did snatch Uma, the blue one, on random sale on Amazon.

I understand the gateway thing. *eyes shelf* We won't talk about how I went from one to five. I'm mostly using unspent vouchers though, which is helping me to justify it a bit more.

Glitch looks like she might be an interesting doll, if she actually has chains in her hair.

The JH Jade is in Asda in town. They only have Jade, none of the others. She's kind of cute, but I'm avoiding the JH ones. Jade is a great character, imo, but I am not sold on the green yet. If I did get her, I think it would be a s/h one down the line, not from new.

Speaking of vouchers, now I have a dilemma.

Some years back (say 5) I had a bunch of vouchers from a big deal store (name withdheld) as part of a loyalty bonus for renewing my tenancy in London. We're talking a 3 figure voucher balance. Great, right?

The problem is I rarely shop at this store. It sells expensive stuff, and I don't really like expensive clothing, I feel like I want to wear stuff that is nice but comfortable and not going to give me spasms if I accidentally get soy sauce on it (it happens). So I have only used a little bit of the voucher balance. I have an awesome coat from that place (a £125 coat reduced down to £30 and then free with my voucher) which I love, and a couple of other things. But in 5 years I still have over half of the voucher value remaining.

Yesterday I discovered they sold RH dolls.

So I decided to use some of the remaining balance to buy one of the expensive dolls.

The problem is...WHICH ONE.

Green Shadow High musician? Pink Shadow High musician? Or rainbow high diva with the tight gold curls (although her personality is frankly disgusting, so maybe I can use that in my inner turmoil).

I have enough for more than one on the voucher, but I don't want to blow the whole balance. I'm looking at this as a Christmas present kind of thing.

How to choose o.O.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:35:38 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2022, 12:31:26 PM »
@Taffeta That's a hard choice! I love both the green and the gold girl.  I don't have either and I don't think I could choose between them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2022, 09:58:11 AM »
Thank you all so much on my green girl!! <3

Also, congrats on your vouchers, Taff, that's so exciting!! <3 Definitely tossing my vote in for the green one! The gold ones is stunning, too though!

(also so glad to know I'm not alone in not remembering their names very well. XD I renamed my gal.)

Congrats on your new girl Esbayne.  :D  I think RH dolls must multiply when you're not watching them as one seems to suddenly turn in to 5.   ;)

I.... think you might be right about that. >.>

I.... I don't know what happened.
I think the green one did it.
>.>
<.<
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:28:30 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
I compared the JH set to the one from last year.  Last year's set had 6 dolls and included Poppy (orange).  This year's set excludes her.  I don't own any of the JH dolls, but aren't they slightly smaller than the High school girls?  I'm trying to figure out why Poppy is missing.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »
The green one definitely did it! I'm jealous, Esbayne. I don't think they sell that doll here. I know there's another version of her, or one with very similar colours, but she doesn't seem to be here, either. Amazon lists her as something like £125 so I'm like, no thank you...

I am leaning towards the green one as well. I blame Esbayne entirely for this. But there is another reason. I was playing around with Uma after washing the gel out of her hair (it has taken so long to try -.- she has so much hair) and I had a sudden thought. And it kind of went...a bit...out of control...

Basically she ended up 'Makin' Mischief'.

I was originally going to dress her in Stormer's proper outfit, but aside a spare IT one I couldn't find my loose doll's outfit. None of my misfits are wearing their own clothes, most are wearing either fashions or stuff I made for them. BUT this one is Stormer's in the show and fits her colouring.

Some notes.

Jem dolls are taller. That's a challenge with a jumpsuit.

The sandals didn't really fit.

Uma has a LOT OF HAIR.

So I am going to put her back in her original clothing, she's still undressed atm as I want her hair completely dry before I mess with that. However, that made me think about the green girl again, who is a singer...;)

I know that probably the neon haired girl...is her name Karma? would be a better fit, but...I'm not really wild about her, dollwise.

It's sad about Poppy in that set. I think she's one of the prettier dolls from the main group. It seems odd to miss her out. I'm also wondering why in that 4 set you posted before, Ponyfan, it includes the characters it does. I understand Natasha as she seems to recur a lot in the animation, but the others are a bit mysterious to me...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 08:38:46 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
@Taffeta,

I love what you did to Uma. :D She's very pretty and I can see Stormer in her when she's dressed like that.

Here's another multiple doll set.  This one was at Sam's (warehouse store)

It's $120.  Again, I'm wondering why these dolls were picked to be sold together.

Poynfan
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:28:23 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2022, 02:08:30 PM »
Do you wonder if they just had excess stock lying around?

I don't see any of these multipacks here though I would probably ignore them in any case because wow that's a lot of money and a lot of dolls all in one go, and no second outfits.

...editing because I did a double take on that photo and realised that Daphne at least is wearing her second outfit o.O. That's pretty weird, isn't it? Are the others also in their 2nd outfits??
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:10:17 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2022, 07:12:06 PM »
Wow! Uma looks fantastic!

Yea, I think all of those above are in their 2nd outfit.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2022, 07:32:19 PM »
Esbayne, I totally understand your breaking down with her. I love all three of that set, but they're so expensive here. I did snatch Uma, the blue one, on random sale on Amazon.

I understand the gateway thing. *eyes shelf* We won't talk about how I went from one to five. I'm mostly using unspent vouchers though, which is helping me to justify it a bit more.
The green one definitely did it! I'm jealous, Esbayne. I don't think they sell that doll here. I know there's another version of her, or one with very similar colours, but she doesn't seem to be here, either. Amazon lists her as something like £125 so I'm like, no thank you...

I am leaning towards the green one as well. I blame Esbayne entirely for this. But there is another reason. I was playing around with Uma after washing the gel out of her hair (it has taken so long to try -.- she has so much hair) and I had a sudden thought. And it kind of went...a bit...out of control...

DO ITT! DO EET!! *cheers on*  :cheer:
And ahhh I'm sorry to hear they don't sell her there!! D: I hope she shows up for you soon! That's so bizarre they'd exclude only her from the SH musician girls. They're all so stunning.... @.@

Also your restyled Uma is so cute!! <3

Which... Brings my to my next topic...
Now I blame YOU, Taffeta!! XD

Uma... Has followed me home. >.> And it appears she brought Lila as a friend... (Which I also blame you for, Taff!! XD But also, I had to jump on her, I loved her and ho-hummed about getting her forever, but she seems to be disappearing on clearance everywhere and I'm not sure they'll restock her, because she apparently sparked some sort of controversy...)

(my bf thought Uma was so cool for her guitar! Actually if I'm being honest, that's the part that got me to buy her. XD It's a replica of a very famous heavy metal musician's guitar, & her style also just screams "Judas Priest," another metal band I got to see live, so I had to. XD The part that was getting me was her pink lips- But I think I may paint them. I am just not a fan of pink thrown into a color scheme willy nilly)

So. Now I have two RH, and 6 SH. *hides*
Granted, two were a gift, I got the Storm Twins so they came together, & I got all the rest on pretty good discounts.
I literally had to get a third doll shelf. *faints* Omg how did this happen. XD They share it with all my G3 MH's, now.
I'll take a pic in a little bit, I've restyled a couple of mine and was pretty happy with their outcomes, even if it was minor.
The green one looked good with a ponytail & her braids hanging down, but I took it out because it was crimping her hair and I hate when dolls get ponytail-crimps because it's so hard to fix.

Here's some crappy pics for now. XD

Spoiler

(ignore the BJD. XD lol)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:13:32 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2022, 02:44:06 PM »
Ooooh Esbayne! That display looks amazing.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2022, 07:46:41 AM »
I love your display, Esbayne!

I'm so glad I'm also corrupting you! I think the controversy over Lila is that her name Yamamoto is Japanese but elements of her outfit are not typically. Some bits are a bit korean, and some are a bit Chinese. Which yes, is not great, admitted. I have more issue with her name being Lila, though. In the animation she's meant to be from Tokyo. L is a letter Japan doesn't use. Lila is the least Japanese name you can imagine. I had assumed she was Japanese-American, but apparently not. It would have been nice if they'd been a bit more attentive to that stuff. They went to the trouble of putting the kanji for wisteria on her skirt, so her colour is clearly wisteria purple. But her name is Lila. And she's described as mauve. Which is all very muddly to me. If it's ok to have buttercup colour (Delilah), why not wisteria colour? I dunno.

Purple in Japanese would be Murasaki. Did they think that was too long a word or something? :/ The Japanese word for wisteria is Fuji. She could have been Fujiko or Fuji :/

I think I also must have posted confusingly - it's the spider girl that isn't sold here. The green haired SH band member is. She's now in my bedroom, but still inside the packing box. I used my voucher so this is a guilt free doll. Note how proud I am of that, because...well. A couple more may be sneaking this way before Christmas is out. Let's just put it that way.

Uma is lovely. :D I dressed mine in her proper garb now, given that the Jem jumpsuit was wayy too long on her really xD. And also my naked Clash doll was starting to get cold ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2022, 07:23:24 PM »
Great display Esbyane  :)

All of these pics of loose dolls makes me want to debox my girls.  Lila is still my most wanted RH right now. I wonder if MGA was considering Lilac as her name originally and dropped the L, ending up with Lila instead.  One of the reasons I fell in love with her was the kanji on her skirt and her hairstyle.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2022, 12:06:16 PM »
I can't imagine keeping them in box. All that hair *twitch fingers*.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2022, 10:06:11 AM »
I love the little band aid on Lila's nose and her crocs so I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get her.

I was going to say, I can't keep them in box either but I forgot I have Ruby and Jade in a two-pack.  They look so good, I can't do it.  However, all the others get deboxed.  I really only get the dolls for the hair.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »

I was going to say, I can't keep them in box either but I forgot I have Ruby and Jade in a two-pack.  They look so good, I can't do it.  However, all the others get deboxed.  I really only get the dolls for the hair.

Likewise. It's all about the hair.

I like Lila, but I still don't like her with her hair all tied up in the braids *lol*.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal