collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rainbow High?  (Read 30498 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow High?
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
I love all the Halloween girls. Really hoping that changes over time because I don't need all of them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2022, 08:53:29 AM »
OY! Taff...welcome to the club (LOL).

My addiction is bad, but I did manage to get the costume ball Fairy, I want the cat/werewolf whatever she is...cause honestly at this point I can't keep up with the names. I also want to get the vampirish one as well but didn't see either of them. I did see the girl with the spiderweb dress at the same walmart I purchased the 'Fairy', however though I did like her, she looks very similar to one of the slumber party dolls. I'm sorta more interested if they're really different from the other dolls.

I managed to buy a few at yard sales/flea markets as well. So I have a few that need fixing up. Right now, most of mine are still in box, not necessarily because I want them to be but because I just don't have time right now to open them. Though, like for example the fairy, the box is so nice for display in how it's made I'm a bit hesitant to remove her. I almost feel like I can keep her in box and potentially later I'll find one out of box for a much cheaper price, even though it might be played with or even in a lot of other dolls. So I do think some of them I may keep in box, especially some of the special editions that the box plays into the whole design.

I actually like the holiday doll, but haven't seen her in person, but I really like the white on white design sooo, I will probably get her. I think maybe what they could have done to make her more interesting was to make the dress an actually rainbow fabric of some kind, but I kinda see what they were going for with the design.

I really like the fact that they are willing to try different things with rainbow high, and the idea of a fashion doll coming with extra fashion came from bratz but at least this company get's the idea of a 'fashion doll'.

Like the grayscale design dolls (shadow high). I mean, who would have thought a gray doll would be interesting...

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
I found a couple of new RH things.  I know the pic is bad of the set with 4 dolls but it was way up high.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2022, 01:58:20 PM »
I am determined to be circumspect :) I spent a few days in London and saw lots of dolls but didn't bring any back with me. Most were skiing (?) dolls anyway.

I was trying to find Daphne but of course she's the one doll not in stock anywhere I go looking *lol*.

@Uni, I read that the fairy is pale blue, and that's her theme? Like ice blue? She looks like her hair is white like Natasha's in the photos I've seen.

These are definitely more fun if you can play with the hair :)

I snagged a loose Lila with her hair down from Ebay just before I went away, and she was waiting for me when I got back. She has all her accessories as far as I can see. She's had her spa day now, so I thought I'd share a picture of my dolls as they are now.

I am still debating what to do with Delilah's hair because I like her loose curls but next to the others they do look a bit manufactured.

I redid Daria's hair completely, and Lila's of course. I haven't done much with Meena's at the moment, and Sheryl (who was the second hand interloper) still needs hers fixing as well).

With Natasha, I took out her single tail and put in two because it was cuter. Otherwise I've mostly left her hair alone.

I changed the default outfits on Daria, Natasha and Lila because I like them better. Sheryl came to me in that outfit, with the socks and shoes of her original, but I don't like her default outfit so I'm ok with it. Why does she have SO MUCH hair, though? It must be massively gelled down in the box because it doesn't look like that much :/

In any case, these are my dolls. :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:29:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2022, 12:29:48 PM »
Wow! I love what you did with Lila's hair.  I've been skipping her because it always looks like a gelled mess.  Very cute!  All of your dolls look perfect.

Rainbow high hair is why I love these dolls so much. Lots of colorful, thick and silky hair.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »
I love your dolls, Taffeta.  Lila looks so pretty with her hair long like that.  :lovey:

I found more of the Costume Ball dolls.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2022, 12:43:04 AM »
Thank you!

I was determined not to get Lila unless her hair was already taken down. I was lucky, aside her fringe, this one didn't have any residual gel left in her hair. It does look like the boxed ones have quite a lot of it :/ Also I think she looks odd with the hair in the braids - she's much prettier without them. She was also a lot cheaper, as she wasn't marked up by her name on the auction, just as a rainbow high doll. I was quite impressed given she has all of her outfit pieces, and is only missing her comb and maybe one hair ribbon (I'm not sure if she is meant to have one or two of those).

I like the spider girl from those pics, Ponyfan, but I already know the special edition dolls are way out of my price range.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »
I know what you mean, Taffeta.  I love the Chinese New Year RH doll, but she's way out of my budget.

My mom thought Lila was pink and she asked me today to show her which one Lila was.  She was surprised when I showed her a purple themed doll.

Ponyfan

Offline SinisteaParty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2022, 03:18:11 AM »
Yeah I only ended up getting lily cause she was a return at my target and I was able to get a good look at her face. For Jett I ended up getting a damaged package one from Amazon for $24. I really want to say if the dead doll I think she’s beautiful but for $80 I’m really going to have to hope she goes on a deep discount. I don’t like paying full price for rh anymore they have gotten out of hand

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
I had my covid vaccine on sunday, which resulted in a few things happening.

One of these was that I legit sat and watched one and a half yt season eps of RH - in part because I was looking for clues about how to do Sheryl's hair, in real because my brain was zapped and I didn't feel like looking for something more intelligent to watch.

I have a lot of thoughts about this animation, not least that
Spoiler
It's a bold choice to expel and replace one of your main cast about 5 eps in, though I still don't know why she got brought back later and is now irrelevant)

and
Spoiler
They are all ridiculous overachievers with completely unrealistic attainments in their grade school past, and some of them are impossibly shallow and really unrelateable to anyone outside that slim slither of people who have make up charts for brains

Not to mention
Spoiler
People talking in hash tags just makes me feel like some old people trying to be cool for the kids and not succeeding. I cringe every time. I realise I'm old, technically speaking, but does anyone in the RH age bracket - or target bracket - actually speak in hashtags and emojis? Do they literally go around saying, "Wow, hashtag life goals, happy face emoji?" If so, I fear for the future of civilisation.

but
Spoiler
While I don't like the doll for Jade, I do think her character is one of the more solid of the main troup, and I also liked that Poppy explained her music talent as synesthesia.

I am totally over the
Spoiler
catty power trip trope, though. The twins are meh. The other twins are meh. How about we stop glamourising bullying, and especially girl on girl bullying of this kind? We've all lived through it, but that doesn't mean it has to be front and centre in what the teenage girls of the future see in their fandoms.

Also, a side note, why are the cool special edition dolls not sold here? I'm not interested in Kya, or Jett, not really - but there are some others, like the drummer from the band (Vanessa)? and the slumber Robin that are very pretty. I suppose it saves me money, the exchange rate is awful right now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:21:31 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2022, 02:26:06 PM »
I haven't seen many of the episodes. 
Spoiler
From what I've seen, Rainbow High seems like an incredibly stressful learning environment. While I think pressure is a good thing in moderation, it's not great for learning new concepts/skills.   I also think the dolls are cute, but their giant heads looks so weird animated.

I got Jett early on when she came out because for some reason, Walmart had her in the clearance section for $20.  But the other special editions are just a bit too much.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2022, 04:14:21 PM »
I haven't seen many of the episodes. 
Spoiler
From what I've seen, Rainbow High seems like an incredibly stressful learning environment. While I think pressure is a good thing in moderation, it's not great for learning new concepts/skills.   I also think the dolls are cute, but their giant heads looks so weird animated.

I got Jett early on when she came out because for some reason, Walmart had her in the clearance section for $20.  But the other special editions are just a bit too much.

I saw Jett in store in London, I'm pretty sure I've seen her here on clearance, but I'm not especially interested in her.  I think there are probably too many special editions, and the price point here is generally nuts (I mean, compared to the photos Ponyfan posts with pricetags and the amazon.com prices, they're nuts). That all said, it would be nice to have the full range to choose from, rather than selective distribution. Always a pet bugbear for me with any toyline.

On the show,
Spoiler
No kidding on the pressure, it's an unhealthy environment from the get go. The whole thing with expelling Bella because she broke rules was absolutely ruthless. The teacher expelled her in front of the class and then brought in her replacement immediately. Awkward. They did make a good point about sharing private information online with Violet and her influencer junk broadcasting Bella's expulsion on her channel - and the backlash. That was maybe a good message caught up in there - but it didn't go anywhere much after that.

I also feel like there's some element of 'trying to harness the mane 6 character tropes'. Sunny definitely borderlines Pinkie Pie vibes from time to time.

The only other thing I have to say is,
Spoiler
I wasn't quite sure what Stella's accent is, but from the brief flash of fake-cockney in her stage audition, and her unfamiliarity with dollars, I guessed she might be 'British'. I had to google it. Apparently I was right, but the voice artist is from California, and her accent sounds American to me :/.

'Posh' and 'lives in a castle' are massively overdone stereotypes, too. Even Jem had that trope, with Jetta, although in her case it was an elaborate lie designed to fool Pizzazz, and not something authentic.

Stella's name is Monroe. They could have made something of that, dug into Celtic heritage, actually been original - since I'm pretty sure it's a Scottish name. So much missed opportunity to make her interesting and original.

While on the bandwagon of things I'm over - stereotyped British characters with faked accents and zero depth. Please MGA. I realise this is not a great work of animation genius, but young minds are watching. It's already been done. Try harder.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:17:11 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2022, 02:55:43 PM »
Well.... I broke down. Prettttty quickly actually.
I was trying to hold out on buying any of these dolls, to see what was going to be the news on that blue "Novi Stars" SH alien girl...
But then I found THIS girl. I had not seen her before.
She reminds me of my favourite band, but not only that, she is STUNNING and I love every single little thing about her theme. As soon as I saw her, I watched 1 unboxing vid & bought her on the spot.
I got her for $30 USD flat! She was on sale and for some reason I had a $5 Amazon coupon? O.o No idea why but I frequently make trial accounts to use Prime so maybe it's related to that... XD

(my work desk, it's a mess, sorry lol. I plan to take more photos of her in a bit)

I... am. in. LOVE. @.@ I've had her for a few days now and I can't stop staring at her and messing with her pose & hair! She is absolutely one of my overall fave dolls now for sure & definitely hogging all the attention right now, despite all my new G3 MH dolls! XD I am literally obsessed with her.

Their clothes and accessories are SO adorable, I love all the extras. I dressed her like this to make her look more like she's themed around my fave band and had planned it before she got here, but her extra clothes are so cute too, and I've been trying to figure out who out of my other dolls I can shuffle them around to. Still not sold on ALL of their faces, and the side profile is still something to get used to, but seriously someone send help because I'm already hovering around the page for the Shadow twins & the spider girl... >.> She was the gateway drug...
I couldn't stop looking at the others today and before I knew it I had a full page of bookmarks.
Please.
I beg of ye.
Send.
HELP.
@.@
XD

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 03:04:32 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2022, 03:36:16 PM »
Congrats on your new girl Esbayne.  :D  I think RH dolls must multiply when you're not watching them as one seems to suddenly turn in to 5.   ;)

I saw this set on as an early Black Friday deal at Walmart on Thursday.  It took me a minute to realize that it's the Junior High versions of the girls instead of their high school selves. It was $70.  I didn't buy it though.

I've never seen the show, except for small clips here and there that show up on my Facebook sometimes so I can't really comment about it.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 07:37:34 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2022, 07:28:21 PM »
Nice photo, Esbayne!  So glad the fan club is growing.    :lol:

Ponyfan, I saw that at Walmart too! I'm sure someone is going to be happy to get that.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal