collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How come no one hates Snails?  (Read 19281 times)

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How come no one hates Snails?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
I don't mind the character or really have a problem with her. I just would have preferred they call her Ditzy. It's more "kid-friendly", for lack of a better term, and to me, it just sounds more pony-like.

My problem with ":muffin: Pony" is the fact that they used a fan name that's derived from a term most of the TARGET AUDIENCE wouldn't understand. To me, that comes across as nothing more than a big shout-out to the brony fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they're embracing and acknowledging that side of the fanbase, but in my opinion, actually going so far as to use a fan-created name (one kids in the target age group won't understand, at that) is just overdoing it.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
Ah, yeah, Squirmy >_< I never did like the newborn ponies enough to remember them.

Anyway, yeah, I actually have heard people complain about Snips and Snails as negative male stereotypes. But I think people in general are a little more accepting of dumb male characters in cartoons then they are of potentially insensitive portrayals of disabled stereotypes, intentional or not. Not that I think it makes male stereotypes OK, but I don't think anyone laughs at Snips and Snails because they're male, but because they're kind of stupid and goofy. With :muffin: Pony, sure, people laugh at her, and like her, because she's kind of goofy, clumsy, and not very bright, but unlike the two boys, who just have generic silly voices and make silly mistakes, :muffin: Pony's silly characteristics...her eyes, name, voice, the extent of her clumsiness, are all specifically associated with stereotypes of people with disabilities, so even if it wasn't intentional, it's insensitive, or at least something people who write characters with these traits need to be careful about when they use.

As for making fun of Canadians...I think I'd have to see the clip because from the description, I don't really see how it's "making fun"... I guess just because they're dumb characters and one kind of maybe has a Canadian accent? I don't know who the voice actor is...couldn't it just be his own accent? I mean, if people are offended, OK, I'm not going to argue they shouldn't be, but I don't personally see it from that explanation alone.

lovekangaroo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
why is it so many people go straight to :muffin: Pony being a stereotype of someone with a disability?  has no one ever seen some goofy person making a face? has no one ever heard some one that had a voice that was different? has no one ever seen someone that clumsy? what world are you living in where only disabled people are like that? as for her name, how big would the uproar have been if they had called her something else?

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
A user on Tumblr brought up that fact, also, citing Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy and Patrick Star from Spongebob.

Everyone loves these delightful forgetful clumsy characters, but the moment their name changes to "Derp" it's offensive. Makes no sense to me.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
why is it so many people go straight to :muffin: Pony being a stereotype of someone with a disability?  has no one ever seen some goofy person making a face? has no one ever heard some one that had a voice that was different? has no one ever seen someone that clumsy? what world are you living in where only disabled people are like that? as for her name, how big would the uproar have been if they had called her something else?

I have never seen a goofy person make a face almost 24/7, no. XD

Not that i'm saying that anyone with such an eye problem is mentally disabled. In fact, the way they portray the only pony with this condition as an idiot is questionable in itself.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:09:32 AM by Malicieuse »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Levengale

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
Haha, well, I think that anyone who is offended by any of these characters is taking the show a little too seriously... :throw:

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
I don't like Snips or Snails.  Not because I find them offensive, I just think they're annoying/dumb.  But while :muffin: Pony comes across as making fun of the mentally handicapped (unintentionally, I am sure, but still in poor taste), these two are just annoying background characters.  They're not offensive.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

lovekangaroo

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »

I have never seen a goofy person make a face almost 24/7, no. XD

Not that i'm saying that anyone with such an eye problem is mentally disabled. In fact, the way they portray the only pony with this condition as an idiot is questionable in itself.

we haven't seen :muffin: Pony 24/7 plus i've seen some screenshots of :muffin: Pony with normal eyes most the other screen shots she looks like she's making a face. http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/:muffin: Pony/Gallery

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
About canadians - that's occured in maaaany comic shows.

For example the classic
"I'm from Canada and they think I'm slow"-quote from SImpsons (I think it was)

it's nothing to take offence of. I had a canadian science teacher, and one classmate said that in class.
all he said was
"sssoooooooo?" ( with a ;) )

US based shows make fun of other countries all the time. Russia, and/or East Europe, Germany, Italy, Sweden even...

Reminds me of when Conan O'Brien made fun of Europe. And Sweden. I find it hilarious.

I agree with what somepony said about if you get offended by any characters in FiM, you're taking it too seriously.
There's no Canada-hating going on, nor is there any "special needs" hating going on.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
What i don't understand is why people can go on and say that everyone who gets upset over these characters is overreacting? Now while I personally don't have an issue with them I can definitely see how a girl with mismatched eyes can be sensitive to this, or even someone with slight mental disability, or their family.

It's easy for us to stand on the side and tell them they're overreacting but if it does get so many people upset, who are we to tell them they are being unreasonable. Especially if we´re talking about kids. Some kids are simply sensitive whether we think it's justified or not. simply telling them they´re overreacting isn't really gonna help anyone.

Also, I wasn't insulted by Snips and Snails when I first saw them but I did find them obnoxious as hell. Not sure I can get insulted as I´ve never met a boy/guy that acts like that so in my eyes they are simply caricatures.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
To be honest I think folks are reading more into this then needs be.  It is meant as entertainment.  If you find it annoying then do not watch that episode.

There where many popular shows in my youth that I did not care for how they portrayed certain characters so I did not watch them and they where wildly popular shows too.

Also think to some of the older cartoons, such as Bugs Bunny and Road Runner.  There where tons of characters who made fun of whole groups so this nothing new sadly.

Everyone is entailed to there opinion and views, we just need to remember to be civil and respectful of that.  Sometimes it would be nice if those making our entertainment remembered that a little better but that is why there are 100's of channels and at times nothing to watch. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
Of course that's not all those traits mean or are, but the fact is they have often negatively associated with people with disabilities and for a very long time, especially when you put all of those traits together in one character and are expected to laugh at it. It's not at all an uncommon stereotype, even if you don't see it quite so much anymore, so of course people would be offended that others find it funny/mocking, even if that's not the intention. Honestly, I'm surprised Hasbro seems to not be aware of that, and that's what's insensitive.

As for not seeing :muffin: Pony making that face 24/7, she makes it often enough and in situations where it makes no sense that I think it's safe to say it's a mostly permanent character trait, not a face she makes sometimes.

My point is just that it's a known offensive stereotype, so why include it? That just seems...well..insensitive.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:54:15 AM by Elisto »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
:muffin: Pony, itself, is a slur against the disabled. (Look up 'derp face,' you'll be extremely offended. Unless you're too 'edgy', sigh. Basic human decency seems like it should trump 'edgy' teenager-like behavior, but whatevs.) :muffin: Pony came from the meme 'herpderp' or 'hurr durr,' which is often used to mimic/mock someone who is mentally disabled, as a joke. When Bronies came up with the name ':muffin: Pony Hooves,' it was because she had wall-eyes, which (to their minds) must mean that she was mentally disabled of some kind. Physical disability =/= mental disability.

In addition, :muffin: Pony is shown to be bad at working - she crashes into everything, she has no sense that she's messing things up, and she also has no realization that she's hurting herself. The joke seems to be, "Look how funny it is, she's so stupid she doesn't even realize she's hurt/breaking things." Rainbow Dash yells at her for attempting to help, and since no one contradicts her ... it kind of leaves the viewer to assume, 'It's okay to yell at people if they break things or act annoying, even if they can't help it.'

Snips and Snails, on the other hand, are kids. Kids are expected to do some stupid stuff - that's how they learn. They have the ability to realize when they've messed things up (like panicking when Trixie couldn't defeat the Ursa, and when they begged for forgiveness from Twilight Sparkle), even though they make foolish, impetuous decisions. It is clear that their desire to impress Trixie overwhelms their good sense, which is something that kids are prone to do; it doesn't mean they're inherently stupid or disabled. Some people here have kids - you KNOW your kids do stupid stuff sometimes, because they're kids! It doesn't make them inherently stupid, they just don't know any better yet.

Yes, Snails has a bit of a deeper, goofy voice, much like :muffin: Pony, but in his case, it's not as offensive because A) he's a kid, and B) his 'stupidity' is not made to seem like it's a disability. He still has a friend (Snips), he still can get things done (finding the Ursa), we still see him going to school and being a productive member of pony society. Everything he touches does not get destroyed; he has a sense of when he is in physical danger/risks getting hurt, both of which are the opposite to :muffin: Pony Hooves. (My feeling is, the voice could be all right, except that in conjunction with the name, it becomes stereotypical and offensive. If her name was 'Bubbles' or 'Bubblecup,' then it wouldn't be nearly as bad.)

In short, like I said before - I love :muffin: Pony Hooves. I think she's an awesome pony! I love how she's klutzy, cute and sweet. But I don't think her name should be :muffin: Pony, and I don't think she should be portrayed as a stereotype. You can make a klutzy, over-active, super-excited pony without making her demeaning - just look at Pinkie Pie!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

StarLite

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
My point is just that it's a known offensive stereotype, so why include it? That just seems...well..insensitive.

They're including it because the fanbase wanted it. They're not trying to create a hugely offensive stereotype, they're just trying to show the bronies that they care about them, and want them to keep watching.

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
I don't like him, but it's only because I'm not a fan of any characters like that- can't stand Spongebob's friend Patrick. Or Spongebob, for that matter, but he's a WHOLE other kind of idiotic. :) My kids love them, though.

I also don't like :muffin: Pony, just because of her voice. I can appreciate a clumsy character (like me!), and her eyes were kind of endearing. I'm not a big :muffin: Pony fan, but I had imagined her with a more pleasant voice and hoped maybe she was some kind of rocket scientist behind the eyes. I guess one problem with them taking a background character who's so well-known and giving her a voice is that when they put a voice/character traits to her, some people are going to be disappointed. I don't find her offensive, I just don't like her now.

And really? Canadian? I always find it funny when American TV shows do "Canadian accents," because they never sound like anyone I know. Except for "How I Met Your Mother," a little... I sometimes catch myself saying "aboat" instead of "about"- but never have I heard a Canadian say "Aboot"  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:41:37 AM by EmberBright »

Disregard the Prologue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal