collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this pony a prototype?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Fluttershy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Is this pony a prototype?
« on: March 27, 2024, 09:30:37 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so I apologize if it's not. Earlier this month, I won a pony that was listed as a prototype/mock up pack on eBay, and she finally arrived today. However, upon doing a little research, I found that this particular pony seemed to have slightly different packaging between the US and Europe (she was a Target exclusive in the US, so it makes sense). I would immediately assume that what I got was actually just the European packaging variation, but the seller did actually have other prototype toys for auction. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm happy either way, but I think it'd be cool to know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this pony a prototype?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 10:46:48 AM »
what's supposed to be a prototype about her? the packaging being multilanguage? :o That looks like a standard international release to me. IIRC here in the UK these were Argos exclusives, I think they ended up shelfwarming for a bit in The Entertainer too (The Entertainer gets a lot of end-of-line merch and overstock). What's the top of the box look like? Is there a sticker with numbers on it?

Offline Fluttershy

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:28 AM »
what's supposed to be a prototype about her? the packaging being multilanguage? :o That looks like a standard international release to me. IIRC here in the UK these were Argos exclusives, I think they ended up shelfwarming for a bit in The Entertainer too (The Entertainer gets a lot of end-of-line merch and overstock). What's the top of the box look like? Is there a sticker with numbers on it?
I believe it's because the package looks different compared to the US release (the most notable difference being the lack of the "Only at Target" on the front, but there are several other small differences). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller was unfamiliar with the toyline and genuinely mistook it as a prototype. As for the top of the box, there is no sticker. Thank you for the information, though!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:22:49 AM by Fluttershy »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 11:29:45 AM »
It looks like a standard UK/European package to me. I think Carrehz is right about where they were exclusive to here. Can't remember where I got mine, not 100% if they have a sticker on or not (I have them still in box somewhere in my cupboard). But yeah. European box, for sure. Probably not a prototype.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 02:16:41 PM »
I think I phrased it misleadingly before - by "sticker" I just meant the sticker with the product code/number Argos usually puts on their stuff, lol.

And yeah, I checked my collection spreadsheet and the Equestria Girls 3-pack at least was an Argos exclusive, so I'm pretty sure the ponies were too. I don't think the dolls ever turned up at Entertainer though.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 12:31:02 AM »
I also go for Euro packaging since we don't have Argos or Target :) But they were commonly available

Offline cowboyopossum

• So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 05:33:26 AM »
I don't really see how a packaged pony could be a prototype. Seems odd, no? Most prototype ponies I have seen have been packaged in just a plastic bag.

Definitely just European packaging. If the seller charged for a prototype pony I would ask for a partial refund.

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline Fluttershy

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 06:10:58 AM »
I don't really see how a packaged pony could be a prototype. Seems odd, no? Most prototype ponies I have seen have been packaged in just a plastic bag.

Definitely just European packaging. If the seller charged for a prototype pony I would ask for a partial refund.
I think the seller was trying to sell it as a "mock up pack", like a sort of example of what the final packaging would look like. I only paid $40 USD for it though, so I'm not too concerned about getting my money back.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 11:28:15 AM »

I think the seller was trying to sell it as a "mock up pack", like a sort of example of what the final packaging would look like. I only paid $40 USD for it though, so I'm not too concerned about getting my money back.

It doesn't take a lot of work for them to find out what they really have before they sell it though. Unfortunately there's a lot of this uninformed selling going on :/

If you are ok with the price then there's probably no need to ask for a refund or whatever, but maybe drop the seller a line so they don't make the same mistake in the future :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 12:06:11 PM »
Sadly this seems to happen a lot with G4s. I once saw someone trying to sell a Sugarcup for hundreds because she was in "rare variant packaging" (she was initially released as "Cupcake" before they changed her name to "Sugarcup".. or the other way around, I forget) -___-

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 07:26:47 PM »
I agree with everyone else.  I think it's just an international release.

A while back on Ebay I saw a mock up of a Princess Guinevere/Starla and the Jewel Riders doll.  There was a handwritten note attached to the packaging that listed a few changes that the person checking the doll noted.  I think it also had the wrong clothes or color of clothes for that character.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2024, 01:30:27 AM »
The closest "mistake" that can happen is that another ponyname is mentioned on the packaging.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2024, 12:07:24 PM »
The closest "mistake" that can happen is that another ponyname is mentioned on the packaging.

Or the pony can be put in upsidedown. I've seen that in sealed packages before (NOT ST AJ, LOL). It's still fairly lowkey in G3 or G4, though...unlike G1 where it's the whole bubble/pony/brush and comb shenanigans, and it's pretty noticeable. Especially when it's the wrong set (Twinkle Eyes on baby sea pony cards ftw!)

I have a G2 Clever Clover on Berry Bright's card I think, somewhere.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal