collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet my new kitten Toralei!  (Read 993 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Meet my new kitten Toralei!
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
A few months ago a cat was hanging around our house and she was super friendly. She would actually dart into our house whenever we opened the door! We found out she belonged to the neighbors so we were constantly taking her back to them even though we very much enjoyed her company. Though I will admit we kept her inside when it was late at night and bad weather, we couldn't help it ^^; We have two chihuahuas and a toy poodle and she loves playing with them!

I told my sister we should ask if the neighbors really want her because they didn't seem to be taking very good care of her. She was an indoor cat, but they always left her outside. She got stuck on our roof 3 times! She was also constantly hungry, had no collar, and we wondered if she was getting any attention at home. So we got up the courage to ask if we could have her. I've never talked to the neighbors before other than giving them the cat back and I don't even know their names so it was a bit awkward! The woman was not there, but her fiancee was and we asked him if we could have her. He said, "YES!!! We've been trying to get rid of her but couldn't find anyone to take her!!! I'll give you her litter and food as well!" So he ran inside to get the stuff and we were happily rejoicing over our new kitty :D We named her Taffy :)

We took her for a check up and the vet said she was between 5-7 months old and guess what... she's 4 weeks pregnant! I thought she was just getting fat at first! We usually get our pets spayed/neutered as soon as possible, but it's a different story when you find out your pet is pregnant! The vet said we could go ahead and get her spayed and abort the kittens, but we just couldn't do it. We decided to try to find a home for the kittens, which the vet said there were at least two.

A couple weeks later my sister saw the neighbor and told her about the pregnancy which turned into a very awkward conversation. Turns out our neighbor did NOT want to get rid of the cat, it appears her fiancee just did. Uh-oh. She didn't ask for her back and we did not offer her back. She works out of state and is not home most of the time. I feel Taffy would possibly be in danger leaving her with a person who didn't want her.

Fast forward a few more weeks and Taffy is finally in labor! We made a nice comfy box for her to give birth in and waited, waited, waited. After 10 hours of labor I was starting to think something was wrong and called the vet. They said that it wasn't normal for it to take that long and we should probably bring her in. I'm unable to drive so I had to wait til my sister got off work and then we took her in. While waiting in the examining room, my dad called and said my mom had a seizure so my sister rushed home. My mom is ok by the way. Thankfully she was sitting on her bed so she didn't fall! I stayed with Taffy and the vet told us she was dehydrated and had a fever and they would need to take x-rays to find out the problem. They took me to see the x-rays and I had a major melt down and started sobbing because I was right next to the room my poodle had died in a few years ago. The sight and smell just brought it all back on top of all the other stress. So they took me back to the room and when I finally stopped crying they explained the situation to me. Taffy was pregnant with four kittens and they were too big for her to have naturally. She's a very small cat with a small bone structure so there was no way they were coming out. They said c-sections in cats are very rare, but she needed one. I told them to do what they needed to do and I kissed Taffy good bye and went home and waited.

Two hours later, after 19 hours of labor, the kittens were finally out. One had been stuck in the birth canal and was stillborn. One died a few hours later. Taffy was hissing at them and biting them so they had to take the kittens away from her. They wanted to keep her an extra night and observe her so we said ok. I called the next day and they said Taffy still wasn't taking to the kittens, but they were all doing ok and that we could pick them up. So after my sister got off work we went to the vet and they brought out Taffy in her carrier and a single kitten in a small box. One of the kittens had died an hour before we arrived :( So we were left with just one. We thought about calling her Nemo if she was a boy since Nemo was the only one that survived. But they told us she was a girl and since my mind seems to always be on Ever After High or Monster High I immediately thought of the name Toralei haha! My sister loved it so that's what we named her :)

Today she is 2 weeks and 1 day old! She opened her eyes on June 30th - my birthday! It was the best present :D She's a little fighter and is doing great! We had to bottle feed her at first, but a few days after being home Taffy went into mommy-mode and has been feeding her and mothering her :) They're so sweet together <3 Taffy doesn't mind at all if we hold Toralei or if the dogs sniff her. Taffy is such a sweet cat and I hope Toralei turns out just like her mommy. And we've kinda decided we don't think we can part with Toralei so we'll be keeping her haha. Crazy how things end up sometimes.

I'm 100% positive that if we left Taffy with the neighbors that she and all the kittens would be dead. No question in my mind. I'm so glad we saved her <3

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Wish List

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Meet my new kitten Toralei!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
Awwwwww!!!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »
Awww!  What a pair of cuties.  Taffy is sooo beautiful.

How awkward one wanted to give up the cat and the other didn't.  I do think it's better for Taffy that she's with you.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:44:03 AM »
*melt!!*
So cute! Both of them. I'm glad they are in a home where someone will take care of them

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
 Taffy was really lucky to get to you! I'm glad to see that she's allright now :) And that she has at least one of her kittens. It's good that Toralei is now growing up in a loving home :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
What a crazy story! I'm glad both mommy and baby are doing okay. Great name. Glad they have a good home.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »
Glad to hear mom and baby are doing well. They are both adorable.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Taffy is so pretty and Toralei is the most precious little tortie ever!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
Oh my goddddd she even has the darker patch over one of her eyes like MH Toralei!!

She is so precious and you are such good people for giving her and her mother a loving, safe home.  :)  Did they spay Taffy during the c-section? 

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
Such a sweet and sad story with a happy ending! Such beautiful kitties!!

mskittylovesrobin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
Love!!!!!!!!!!!! X

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
Thank you all! I love my kitties so much and so happy they're safe and healthy :)

Oh my goddddd she even has the darker patch over one of her eyes like MH Toralei!!

She is so precious and you are such good people for giving her and her mother a loving, safe home.  :)  Did they spay Taffy during the c-section? 

You know I didn't even notice that! LOL thanks for pointing that out! And yes, they spayed her during the c-section so we won't have to worry again :)
My Wish List

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
:heart: :heart: :heart: What a precious little kitty. I'm glad Taffy and Toralei are doing okay. Seeing them snuggle together is too cute. Hopefully this Toralei doesn't grow up to be catty like her namesake. ;)

Also good call on not returning Taffy to the neighbours, that sounds like an absolutely toxic home for a pet; just because cats are more independent than dogs does not mean you toss it outside and let it fend for itself.  :mad:

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
So adorable!  Good job on saving her and her baby!  It's hard to lose them but you did everything right.

I adopted two kittens (total of four cats and four dogs now I'm crazy :p).  I got them off Facebook and I'm certain if I didn't take them in and they went to a home that didn't take them to a vet they wouldn't of made it.  Both had Several parasites (roundworms, coccidia, giardia) that made them have terrible diarrhea. They were so tiny it would not of taken long for them to get dehydrated.  And Kovu is deaf so he has to be indoor (all my cats are anyway) only!  I wasn't planning on keeping Vitani, I had a home lined up for her, but I don't have the heart to separate the siblings.

Kovu

Vitani

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:51:28 PM by slj84 »

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile