collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would like a doll or two... where to start?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Zoundz

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishrats.co.uk
Would like a doll or two... where to start?
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
OK - I want a doll or two I *love* BJDs - and honestly don't think I'd be really happy with anything else... but money is a major issue - there's no way I will ever be able to justify the €100's that BJDs cost - so I need something super cheap (second hand is fine I guess)...

Can anyone recommend some dolls to me? :)

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sol28

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Would like a doll or two... where to start?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »
What sort of price range are you looking at? Resinsoul has bjds starting from $75 USD. If that's still a bit pricey perhaps try looking into Obitsus? They're more BJD styled but the little ones are pretty cheap (around 30-40$ I think).

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:33:51 AM »
I would say an absolute maximum of $50... if that's around €30-40 - and I think I'd be shot for that too! XD

Monster High - tell me more? :)

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.

Sol28

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:32:07 AM »
Monster high are pretty cool. They're fun and articulated and customisable which is a bonus, plus they come with clothes. I can't comment on their prices since I'm an Aussie and they're priced higher here than in other countries *sigh*

Tagi

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:52:58 AM »
OK - I want a doll or two I *love* BJDs - and honestly don't think I'd be really happy with anything else... :)

If the above statement is true, I think you will be a little disappointed with a fashion doll. Never the less, this board has a forum dedicated entirely to MH: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/board,177.0.html

Although if you were still keen on trying out BJD, there is always Hujoo if you like them.

http://www.hujoo.kr/index.php
http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »
hujoo dolls maybe? :D
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
I was going to recommend Hujoo dolls as well, Junky Spot is a great place! http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 06:52:11 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions :) will look through, but a quick glance I suspect I'll get very disheartened when I can't modify them and buy extra bits for them, so I'd probably just best ogle other people's dolls :)

xx

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
The Hujoos are as customizable as any other BJD - eyes, wig, clothes, etc. And Junkypot carries add on fantasy parts like ears, horns, and tails.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »
Hujoo dolls are wonderful! I have their Action Doll, Dana, and I love her to bits!!!

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:15 AM »
I can see they're customisable :) I just purely meant affording to buy the bits I want! :) so I think for now I'll just have to keep watching everyone else's! :)

Love that one above <3

xx

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
Get yourself a very large piggy bank!  :D  That's where you start! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »
Hahaha! Good one ;)

xx

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
there's no way I will ever be able to justify the €100's that BJDs cost - so I need something super cheap (second hand is fine I guess)

*gigglesnort*  I said something very similar about $1,000 ago.  :lookround:

I started with Pullips, since they seemed like a cheaper alternative to BJDs.  I loved my girls, but was always envious of other members' BJDs.

My first BJD was an eBay score, my little Dalsoo.  She was used for only $75 and I snatched her up right away.  I didn't feel the need for another BJD for a couple years, but then I got my Unicorn Molly and fell head over heels!  She was pretty affordable at $100, then I paid $45 to get her a nice faceup.  I loved her so much that I started browsing DoA a little, just for fun.  I happened to stumble across my absolute grail dolly for $550 and after some back and forth debating with myself, I decided that it was just too good of a deal to pass up and I asked the seller if I could do a 3-month layaway.  She said yes, I sold my Pullips, and that's how I became the owner of Soom Beyla.  Then only a month after paying her off, I went to a dolly meet and saw a gorgeous SD, B&G Aurora (only minutes after telling someone I would never own a big doll).  I kept wandering back to the sales table and admiring her, I just couldn't stay away.  She was $300, but her seller agreed to let me pay only $50 a month for 6 months and even let me bring her home with nothing more than a promise to PayPal the money later that night.  In a week, I'll be able to send my third payment and I will be halfway done with my layaway!

OK - I want a doll or two I *love* BJDs - and honestly don't think I'd be really happy with anything else... :)

If the above statement is true, I think you will be a little disappointed with a fashion doll.

Seconding this.

You can get a cheaper doll that you like, but don't love, or you can save up and splurge on one that you adore.  If you fall in love with a cheaper doll (like I did with my Molly), then lucky you!  But if you are drawn to the more pricey high-end dolls, I think you will be much happier in the long run if you just save your money and get the doll that makes your heart skip a beat every time you look at her.

If you really truly have a hard time with the cost, then you can always make the doll a reward.  Set goals and whenever you achieve them, add $20 to a doll fund.  Maybe you're trying to break a bad habit, maybe you're trying to be healthy, or maybe you just are trying to remember to floss your teeth every night (lol).  Set up a reward system for yourself and EARN your doll.  It will keep you motivated and also make you feel like a million bucks when you are able to finally buy the dolly you've been eyeballing.  And remember that most sellers are really awesome about layaway, which makes even the expensive dolls do-able.

GOOD LUCK!

**edited because apparently I've forgotten how quoting works lol**
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:26:48 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Alicat

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »
Very good points zenna!  While I love my two hujoo dolls, I immediately notice the difference in quality to my resin babies. Starting with hujoo is great! Remember if you love them, than remain is even more worth it!

Good luck, keep scouring eBay and maybe you will find a steal!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal