collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NonMLP Issue - Pretty sure buyer is trying to pull a fast one...  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
NonMLP Issue - Pretty sure buyer is trying to pull a fast one...
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
So, I sold an American Girls doll on eBay for a pretty hefty price. She's mine from my childhood, bought for me by my Grandmother and I've had her in perfect condition all these years.

I sell her, buyer pays, and I ship her.

I get a message today:
"I received the doll today--the doll has medium brown eyes and medium brown hair. Samantha has dark brown eyes and very dark brown hair. She does not match the other Samantha I have nor does she match any of the archive photos on American girl. Please advise. "

Okay, first of all, I posted in our dollhouse forum and was shown a really great website on identifying my American Girl doll, and got some advice from people here. I also did additional research to figure out exactly what year my doll was from. I had about 10 pictures on the site, all where you can easily see what tone her hair is, and I have an up close photo of her eyes.

I think this buyer is trying to pull a fast one, switch my doll out with some fake, return it and get a full refund. What should I do?

I know for a fact I sold everything with a good solid description, CLEAR photos and everything like that. This person is off their rocker saying that she doesn't match "any of the archive photos of American girl"...

I'm shaking I'm so angry right now. I am planning on calling eBay tomorrow and seeing what I can do...

I already responded in a message saying that she's an authentic Samantha that I've had since childhood, she's been researched, advised and I even referred her to one of the sites that show her from doll collectors....
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: NonMLP Issue - Pretty sure buyer is trying to pull a fast one...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
How frustrating! It sounds like she might be fishing for a partial refund or trying to switch it out with a fakie doll. Let us know what happens :hug:
My Wish List

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »
Yeah I mean I've seen the "American Girl Wiki" and it's... not good. I mean, it shows one Samantha doll. Whereas this site, which I was referred to by members here, and you can easily find on Google Search under "White Bodied Samantha American Girl Doll" - http://agplaythings.proboards.com/thread/4520

Shows clearly that she can have different colored hair... and my auction has bright pictures where you can see her hair is light brown, not like dark dark chestnut.

I'm really freakin' annoyed because I just... always have a feeling that when I sell a high dollar item that someone is going to try and do something like this, and I -know- this doll was sold completely honestly with as much information and pictures as I could show, and there was plenty of opportunity for someone to ask questions if they had any hesitation!

My Want List

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Oh yikes that sounds very iffy indeed :( I would think that since your photos show that the colour of the doll's hair is not in fact "very dark brown", the buyer shouldn't be able to claim "not as described" in order to force the issue :/ I would also think that if the buyer *does* send you a fakie in place of the real doll, you also should not be obligated to issue a refund--you'll be able to show via your photos that it's not the same doll.

I hope this gets sorted out for you quickly, Sunshine :hug: I think calling ebay/paypal tomorrow is the best plan, even if just to get yourself on record as being immediately in touch through official channels and willing to provide all your links and references up front.
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »
Oooooooh not good at all!  :(  I definitely say it sounds like a scam from someone who knows what they bought. 

I really hope you are able to get your doll back! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
I'm so sorry Sunshine :hug:

I don't know what to advise here. I know that if the buyer opens a case, paypal will side with them (a friend of mine worked there and had told me that it's their policy that the buyer is always right, even when there is proof that they are not). That may not be the case now with all the changes, this was last year. :huh:

The best thing to do would be to politely explain that you know exactly what you sold, you had clear pictures of the doll which showed both eye and hair colour (it's possible that the colours on their monitor were off and that's why maybe they thought they were buying something else, which is not your fault in any way), perhaps advise them to return the doll to you at their cost. I know you're concerned that they will pull a fast one, it certainly sounds like something to be concerned about.

I agree that calling ebay/paypal and explaining the situation to them will provide you with the best possible solution to this issue.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out for you and that you can get this resolved.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
Things like this are so frustrating. It seems like this buyer knows less about american girl dolls than they think they do, because it's pretty clear that early white bodied Samantha did have lighter hair and lighter eyes. Hopefully your buyer will be able to look at the sources and see that.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:18 AM »
It may be that your buyer really doesn't know- and thinks she got tricked, in which case pointing out that the doll comes with different colored hair might help-

but because of the terrible way ebay works these days, I would definitely offer a refund if she sends the doll back in the same condition, otherwise I'd be afraid ebay will just side with the buyer anyway and take your money leaving you both doll-less and without the $$.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:33 AM »
Things like this are so frustrating. It seems like this buyer knows less about american girl dolls than they think they do, because it's pretty clear that early white bodied Samantha did have lighter hair and lighter eyes. Hopefully your buyer will be able to look at the sources and see that.

This...she is the first one made, the wigs were even differently made and a different color.  She is up to something,or totally uneducated in her collectibles.  Either take a full refund and get your doll back...block her and try again.  I would not partial.  Buyers remorse.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »

This...she is the first one made, the wigs were even differently made and a different color.  She is up to something,or totally uneducated in her collectibles.  Either take a full refund and get your doll back...block her and try again.  I would not partial.  Buyers remorse.

Oh I'm definitely NOT offering any sort of refund! The doll was perfectly shown and described. I haven't had a chance to call yet - they haven't responded to the case and I think a PERSON needs to hear this, not some back and forth BS through eBay's case stuff.

You don't have to refund until you get the item back, right?

Edit: Sorry I meant "partial" - obviously, if I get my doll back and she's in the pristine condition that I sent her to this person in, they will get their money back, but I'm not offering any partial because they didn't know that Sam has multiple versions...

(Also eBay isn't picking up the phone?? :huh:)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:58:35 AM by Sunshine »

My Want List

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:56:44 AM »

Oh I'm definitely NOT offering any sort of refund! The doll was perfectly shown and described. I haven't had a chance to call yet - they haven't responded to the case and I think a PERSON needs to hear this, not some back and forth BS through eBay's case stuff.

You don't have to refund until you get the item back, right?

No you DON'T refund until the item has arrived to you safely. The buyer is also required to pay for tracking so they can prove that you have received it.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:00:15 AM »
They took that money out of my Paypal and are "holding it" now... I KNEW this was going to happen! I never sell anything expensive...

Last week I've sold three expensive things. One non payer, this person who's complaining, and I'm just waiting to see what the third person will do... :facepalm:

Seriously I am not a bad seller trying to rip anyone off. This was my childhood doll from my grandma who's passed away and selling her to pay my bills is KILLING ME inside and I DID it and now I get someone trying to either... rip me off or... buys it and doesn't know anything about AGDs and... now it's my fault... I'm still on the verge of tears.... :cry:

My Want List

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:17 AM »
 :hug: Why is your money on hold? Did she open a case against you via ebay/paypal?

It's really a shame to hear about you and other sellers having difficulties with all these buyers who just don't know what they are doing, buyers remorse etc. I really hope that you can get this resolved asap. It's strange that ebay isn't answering, have you tried calling paypal to see if they can advise you in any way?

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 04:30:44 AM »
Yeah I think now... like if you contact a seller at all, it just opens a case for you automatically?

Because this case thing has seemed to be the "new" thing they're doing... I just got a message all of a sudden that said the case was open last night, without anything prior, no contact or anything of the like... and at the bottom of the page, I guess because the seller put the option of "I want a full refund" as their "resolution" it said something about "Funds from this transaction are now on hold in your Paypal until this is resolved" - I'm just paraphrasing, I only briefly saw it, then went into my Paypal and noticed all my money was gone... :facepalm:

My Want List

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
Right, I think that's a ebay.com thing, that's so frustrating. I honestly think you should just message the buyer and state that you will accept the return but she is responsible for the return shipping including tracking and that you need to receive it in the same condition as when you sent it.

That's exactly what paypal would decide to do if the case got escalated.

I don't know why ebay does the auto open for cases. I think that just makes things worse.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal