collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebays new user agreement  (Read 531 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Ebays new user agreement
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:19 AM »
I notice that every time I log on, I feel forced to agree with the new user agreement.   The problem I have with it is that it says you agree to participate in the GSP.  I don't agree to do that.  So, I will not agree to the agreement. This means I won't be able to sell I guess. I don't want any part of the GSP.  That one line in the user agreement is not okay with me.  Has anyone else felt this was wrong for them to force this program onto us when in the beginning they said we could choose?  I guess if I have to click on "accept" I won't be selling at all on this site.  I can handle my own international shipping and certainly not charge my buyers these crazy prices and chance and item getting lost adding that third party in the mix. I don't like it at all. :mad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Skitterbug

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ebays new user agreement
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
I HATE the global shipping program... was looking at an item that shouldn't have cost any more than 8 dollars to ship from USA to canada (even with the USPS's price jump recently)... 21$. ridiculous. If ebay is making it mandatory i'm jumping ship. I have enough complaints about them already, but they're small, and ebay is sort of the only real option in the market. But with the GSP i can't afford to get anything shipped.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »
I thought that there was an option in the account settings where a seller could opt out of that? I read it in another thread on the arena. I'm also pretty sure that only applies to sellers who use ebay.com as opposed to ebay.ca (no clue about ebay.co.uk)

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
If that is the case, I just will no longer ship overseas. That is absolutely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:20:44 AM by bluerose9978 »

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
There is a way to opt out.

To opt out of the Global Shipping Program:
Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences. You may need to sign in.
Click the Show link to the right of the Shipping Preferences section.
Click the Edit link to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Program.
Click on the Opt Out button.
Review the information. If you still wish to opt out, click the Continue to opt out button.

There also has been many discussions on this particular subject and it seems the consensus is that it I not beneficial to sellers.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,315354.msg512707.html#msg512707

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,330479.msg767731.html#msg767731

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,337091.msg884221.html#msg884221

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,332728.msg806577.html#msg806577

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,336432.0.html
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Yes I was aware there were many topics but I hadn't seen any about the use agreement we had to agree to.  That made it different to me.  Sorry if I started another thread that had been discussed.  I was concerned that my desire to opt out would not be acknowledged if I agreed to the use agreement.  I didn't realize anyone else asked this question. Sorry.

Post Merge: September 23, 2013, 11:50:15 AM

I thought that there was an option in the account settings where a seller could opt out of that? I read it in another thread on the arena. I'm also pretty sure that only applies to sellers who use ebay.com as opposed to ebay.ca (no clue about ebay.co.uk)

Yea I knew about this, but this new user agreement is popping up when I sign into my account and it wants me to agree or look at it later.  For the past month, I have been choosing look at it later. I was concerned that even though I opted out...my agreeing to the agreement would change my ability to opt out.  I know its confusing...I hope I am making sense. LOL
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:50:59 AM by tulagirl »

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
I suppose the only way to know if you can opt out is trying what I suggested above. I know months back when they launched this I made sure to not opt in. They didn't make it so blatant though, as far as a pop-up goes. I kept getting a little message when I went into my Seller Summary page but I finally figured out with the above method to make it go away.

Plus they can't make you opt into it so don't feel you have to. Just try the method above and if it doesn't work then I deeply apologize.  >_<

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
@Ponylady, yea I already have done that its just that this new user agreement requires that you accept GSP.  So, if I click "agree" on it, I am worried I will have no choice but to accept the GSP even though I am currently opted out.  Its so confusing.  I have not agreed to it yet, but lately every day that I log in, its the first thing I see. I have no idea how long they will allow me to bypass it.

Post Merge: September 23, 2013, 06:59:07 PM

I think the fact that they have made it mandatory in the user agreement makes me wonder if at some point it will be mandatory for everyone.  Or maybe someone made a mistake by adding it to the user agreement.  Perhaps they think people won't actually read the agreement.  I know they say they are not making people use the program, but the user agreement says otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:59:07 PM by tulagirl »

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
Why did ebay even start up this global shipping program since it's so expensive? Do they profit off of it?
My Wish List

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
This is just a thought since like I stated before, the GSP is not a requirement or even an option on ebay.ca.
Perhaps the agreement is just stating that you understand what the GSP is, what the terms are and if you choose to use it you are bound by those terms?
I don't think that it makes you do it, as other sellers have stated that they just opted out of it by changing account settings.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Ebays new user agreement RESOLVED
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
Well, I have gone and read the site agreement and it has a section in it that is different from the pop up thing I was getting.  The site agreement does mention the ability to opt out even though you are agreeing to use the GSP by agreeing to the agreement.  I am not sure why my pop up didn't cover that at the time I read it. Its just nice to know that confusion I was having is resolved at this point.  I read through the whole thing and it didn't quite match what I am reading now. Perhaps they revised it or I need new glasses. :lol:  Thanks Mikeysgirrl...I have already long since opted out. :)

Post Merge: September 23, 2013, 07:26:47 PM

Why did ebay even start up this global shipping program since it's so expensive? Do they profit off of it?

I mean since its so much more expensive than us just doing our own shipping one has to wonder about this idea for sure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:41:29 PM by tulagirl »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:28 AM »
I'm glad you managed to make sense of it Tula - it does sound like the pop up was confusing! :drunk:

My thoughts on this = probably. I dont know for sure (like Canada, we dont have the GSP on  ebay UK either)   but it seems likely that ebay are promoting this to pocket even more of peoples monies :(

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal