collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do people really give negative feedback for backing out of a sale?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Do people really give negative feedback for backing out of a sale?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
I know that is a nuisance when we run into these types of buyers/time wasters. But technically since a transaction did not take place (the exchange of money or goods) here on the arena, feedback is not exchanged.

It has been discussed before in regards to this among the Mods. But since you would honestly have to take the time for each and every circumstance, such as hearing both sides of the story. It is not worth the time or effort that would go into dealing with it. So as it is, NO feedback does not get left in a situation such as you have described Sunshine.  The best course of action is to either contact a Mod or start a TS thread to warn others of the situation. If a thread is started then LBS can add them to her list of Bad Traders so others can be warned.   
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
Ponylady - that's what I thought, as many people have said - feedback is for TRANSACTIONS. Not verbal transactions, but monetary transactions...

But I do agree with Squirmy... though I do have to say - asking someone about a shipping quote, I really don't think it's a HUGE hassle. Some people want to tell me that it's $6.00 to ship 1 G1 pony in the US to the US... other people actually quote REAL prices and say $2.50 (or thereabouts)... so, I mean, you need to be able to know how that particular seller prices their shipping... right?

If I ask for a shipping price, I think it's acceptable to say, "Thank you so much for responding but the total is a little bit more than I expected so I think I will have to pass" if you do it quickly and not leave them hanging. I always mention when I'm inquiring that I do not expect them to HOLD them items I'm asking about until we come to an "agreement" - I also think that's "fair" to the seller, right?

I'm not typically one who talks to people and backs out and then never fixes the issues or completes the sale but it has happened a few times for various reason... One perhaps the shipping was just, WAY too high and I couldn't justify the cost once they quoted me. The other was a mix up of a trade as to what we were trading, and it's fixed now, but... it was a hassle and it was my fault. Of course, I keep my communication lines open always too so, if some seller asks me if I was interested in something that I may have forgotten about asking about, I usually respond within 24 hours or less.

For swaps and things, you do have to shop around, to try and get the most bang for your buck right, so other sellers... is asking for a quote on something a real hassle for you?
-Me personally, not really. The only hassle are large orders where the person wants like 10+ ponies, and after getting all those packed up and quoting the exact shipping, they back out. Usually I'll quote based on my expectation and past experience shipping to a country (so, like I know 1 G1 adult ALWAYS is costing me $12.75+ to ship to like the UK or Australia) but then I let the buyer know I will get them a REAL quote if we progress. That way, they can at least have an idea of the total cost before saying to me, "Okay yes let me know what the shipping will be and we'll go from there"...

So am I... being annoying? LOL As either a seller or buyer?
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
The question you originally asked was about leaving feedback on the arena, not on the whole etiquette of buying. Thus the answer I gave you.  ;)

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
I know that is a nuisance when we run into these types of buyers/time wasters. But technically since a transaction did not take place (the exchange of money or goods) here on the arena, feedback is not exchanged.

It has been discussed before in regards to this among the Mods. But since you would honestly have to take the time for each and every circumstance, such as hearing both sides of the story. It is not worth the time or effort that would go into dealing with it. So as it is, NO feedback does not get left in a situation such as you have described Sunshine.  The best course of action is to either contact a Mod or start a TS thread to warn others of the situation. If a thread is started then LBS can add them to her list of Bad Traders so others can be warned.   

*agrees with Ponylady*  :nod:  we've talked this situation over quite a lot.

As regards asking a shipping quote or price etc, thats fine , and  you dont have to go ahead with the purchase if say  the shipping is going to make it not worth it, and I'm sure any seller would understand that. Its different if you ask the person to hold the item and keep them waiting and then back out, or agree to make the payment but dont.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »
it'd be cool to have a tracking system for that, though, so a person who backs out* of more than a certain number of transactions(say, 15 or 20? something more than an occasional 'oops, I have an unexpected bill' number) in a month is reported to the mods...maybe a button that could be clicked and only mods could see the results or something(yep, I know it wouldn't be that easy, but it would be useful), that way a mod could contact them to see what's up, just in case?

*By 'backing out', I mean situations where someone says 'I will buy this' or 'Please hold this for me', NOT 'can I get a shipping quote'
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:47:39 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
To me, agree it's not a transaction unless money/goods are being exchanged, therefore you shouldn't be able to leave feedback, unless it's an auction style situation in which you're bidding on something and then you're entering into a contract like eBay. Non paying bidders are annoying.

However, holding ponies for a week or two and then having the buyer back out is extremely annoying, especially when during that time others have been interested in that exact same pony and you have to turn them down! I think that is very unfair of them. I don't think they should ask to have it held unless they know for sure they are going to be able to pay when they say they are. I've been that trusting seller too many times and been disappointed too many times.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:33 AM »
To my mind, asking for a shipping quote is in no way commiting to a purchase. I'm quoted some pretty random figures at times, and some sellers will have terms that I can't agree to, like sending payment as gift, so one has to be allowed to ask, without being branded as a "time waster", surely?

One thing that I have noticed is that some sellers will send me their paypal adress, or even mark the item as "on hold" after me just asking a question, without me agreeing to anything, so that goes to show people will have a very different opinion when a sale is actually agreed on.

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
To my mind, asking for a shipping quote is in no way commiting to a purchase. I'm quoted some pretty random figures at times, and some sellers will have terms that I can't agree to, like sending payment as gift, so one has to be allowed to ask, without being branded as a "time waster", surely?

One thing that I have noticed is that some sellers will send me their paypal adress, or even mark the item as "on hold" after me just asking a question, without me agreeing to anything, so that goes to show people will have a very different opinion when a sale is actually agreed on.

Not to mention, asking for a shipping quote online is about the same as looking at price tags on things in the store.  I've been known on regular shopping sites to go all the way up to the point where shipping was charged, just to see how much it was, then cancel if it raised the price by too much.   Until you pay for it, or specifically offer to pay, you're not "buying" yet, you're only still "considering."

If I don't ask for your paypal address, I'm not ready to buy it yet.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »
Rule #1:  Don't even BROWSE unless you have the money already in your account.  Don't PM and ask, don't bid, don't shop!

I'm mainly a buyer, though I do sell a bit on the side. I go by this rule religiously.

I know that I am on a tight budget, I simply cannot have everything I want. If I don't have funds available at the moment, I won't entertain the idea of making offers on anything, because I know something could come up and I may have to wait for those funds longer than I thought or I may even find something I want more once the money is in-hand. I don't offer to pay for something unless I am 100% sure I can do so.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »

Not to mention, asking for a shipping quote online is about the same as looking at price tags on things in the store.  I've been known on regular shopping sites to go all the way up to the point where shipping was charged, just to see how much it was, then cancel if it raised the price by too much.   Until you pay for it, or specifically offer to pay, you're not "buying" yet, you're only still "considering."

If I don't ask for your paypal address, I'm not ready to buy it yet.

I completely agree!

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
and some sellers will have terms that I can't agree to, like sending payment as gift, so one has to be allowed to ask, without being branded as a "time waster", surely?
Sellers shouldn't be doing that anyway. It's against Paypal's ToS to ask the buyer to send money for a good as a gift or asking them to pay the Paypal fees. You can get your account shut down for doing that.

It's weird because I've gotten like four sellers with good feedback scores who ask me to send payment as gifts. If they ask me to do that I just send it as goods with the fees on top but you'd think people would know the rules by now!

I'll start a seperate topic on that since it's a different kettle of fish.

Duster reference]

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
and some sellers will have terms that I can't agree to, like sending payment as gift, so one has to be allowed to ask, without being branded as a "time waster", surely?
Sellers shouldn't be doing that anyway. It's against Paypal's ToS to ask the buyer to send money for a good as a gift or asking them to pay the Paypal fees. You can get your account shut down for doing that.

It's weird because I've gotten like four sellers with good feedback scores who ask me to send payment as gifts. If they ask me to do that I just send it as goods with the fees on top but you'd think people would know the rules by now!

I'll start a seperate topic on that since it's a different kettle of fish.

Hmm I didn't know that.  I've had a few sellers that won't sell to me unless I send as gift or pay the fees.  :/ I thought I just missed that buyers were supposed to do that.

I think it all boils down to being labeled a time waster.  No one wants to be on that list.  People won't want to buy sell trade with you anymore.  ^^
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
Ponylady: Thanks for the clarifications on when to leave negative feedback or not.  :)

Little.fox: I agree with you, asking for a price or shipping quotes are not being a time waster. I think an agreement has been made first when the buyer says "yes I want that item".

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »

^ This. Exactly what I was trying to express. :)

Also... many sellers ask for gift payments, *shrug* NEVER bothers me. I either pay the fees and send as a "Goods" payment, or I send as gift. I understand that it's hardly worth it to sell a $3 item when the Paypal fees eat almost $0.40 out of a $3 sale... so, I guess we won't get into that here but, Paypal just is greedy... Done talking about that.

back to topic:

Yes I definitely am glad we clarified - makes much more sense to just leave feedback for actual transactions. It would be great if we had like an "easy time-wasters" log but, as many mods and people have mentioned, it'd be SO complicated to sort out who really IS a time waster, and who just annoyed someone enough to have them get "reported"... I really have never had anyone who I wouldn't deal with twice. No, that's a lie. Two transactions I can think of where I was totally annoyed and unsatisfied by the final transaction. BUT even then I didn't leave negative feedback because I just... didn't care that much I guess. I didn't feel like they were sellers who intentionally did something to tick me off during our sale. I feel like they were... "sellers of THAT caliber" (lower? is that too mean to say?) who just... weren't up to what my expectations of a seller are.

Enough rambling. Bottom line. Feedback = Transactions.
Thanks!
:sunny:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:36:44 PM by SunshinePony »
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »
It's never really bothered me. Sometimes, things pop up. Just sell to another person is what I go buy, simple as that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal