collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion wanted on value of the new FIM trading cards.  (Read 2304 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion wanted on value of the new FIM trading cards.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
I honestly don't think they will be very valuable. Everyone is buying them now and there is a big craze going ont. Many people are buying them to resell them like with many other G4 things right now.
I could be wrong, who knows?

My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SabreMau

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
For almost all of them, prices will go down as supply catches up with and passes demand. It's just those few exclusives that I'm concerned about. If the Bronycon card remains exclusive, with only those ones you got at the con printed and no more, supply can't catch up with demand and they're going to remain high-ish for a while until demand lessens. This will happen eventually, sure (years?), but I could see demand going up in the short term with extra printing runs of the regular and foil cards. People get what's available out of those packs, look at what's left, and think, "Oh, if I could just get that ONE MORE card for a totally complete set." and enter the market for the exclusives.

Now, if #F37 and #F40 make repeat appearances at future events, then you can look forward to a price drop. But if the next Bronycon or the next Comic-Con get new exclusives, those'll be picked up in 5 minutes and it's off to the auction houses all over again.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:36:46 PM by SabreMau »

stormwing

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
If you check out ToyWiz, the gold foils are listed for $49 (if I remember correctly). Which made me :shocked:. And doing a quick search on ebay, there are only 17 results listed. So, for right now, the demand seems good. Who knows if it'll stay that way, though.

Either way, I vastly enjoy them and intend to collect the whole set (preordered binder included lol).

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
 I bought a pack to check them out. Ehh, not especially excited about it. I used to collect and play mtg these are more like baseball cards. Nonplaying.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

SabreMau

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
    Oh, Toywiz also got the boxes back in stock. $100. Enterplay's store is back down to "Back Ordered", so their relatively cheap $60 price isn't lasting very long.

And the gold foils vary in price at Toywiz, not all $50. As of right now, they're at:

• G1 Celestia - $30 "Only 3 left in stock."
    • G2 Luna - $50 "Only 2 left in stock."
    • G3 Cadance - $50 "Only 1 left in stock."
    • G4 Twilight Sparkle - $30 "Only 3 left in stock."
    • G5 Princess Mi Amore Cadenza - $20
    • G6 Discord - $25
    • G7 Nightmare Moon - $20
    • G8 Queen Chrysalis - $20

Expecting all of these prices to drop because all of them are still in production. But the standard gold series are still harder to come across than the guaranteed-in-each-box topper cards.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
If you check out ToyWiz, the gold foils are listed for $49 (if I remember correctly). Which made me :shocked:. And doing a quick search on ebay, there are only 17 results listed. So, for right now, the demand seems good. Who knows if it'll stay that way, though.

Either way, I vastly enjoy them and intend to collect the whole set (preordered binder included lol).

Toywiz tend to try and cash in on whats popular - their prices are much higher than they should be.

They have Ditzy Doo at $120 and they have the new Spa Pony Mini Figures at $14 - the latter is going to retail at 1/2 that price when it hits stores.

The only thing Toywiz is a good indication of is "whats hot" - the hotter and more sought after the more they charge - thats not necessarily a good rate just what they feel they will [and clearly do] get away with charging.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

stormwing

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
Oh for certain. The prices are a little outrageous, to say the least. Take the regular, non gold foil trading cards, for instance. Zecora is $.25 but if you want the Pon-3 and Octavia card, you've gotta shell out $1.99. Buy a pack for that and you're just as likely to get either card. Sounds like highway robbery to me! :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »
Oh for certain. The prices are a little outrageous, to say the least. Take the regular, non gold foil trading cards, for instance. Zecora is $.25 but if you want the Pon-3 and Octavia card, you've gotta shell out $1.99. Buy a pack for that and you're just as likely to get either card. Sounds like highway robbery to me! :P

Lol I think its called "price gouging" :P...because they know those cards although as common as others are going to be sought after. Fair play to the I guess, if they can get people to pay that - thank goodness we have an awesome Trader system on here so hopefully people can track down the cards they are looking for. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
Yeah our trading system is working great so far, I'm proud of it! I've almost completed my set, including foils, thanks to the Arena! :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
They're $2 a pack for four cards, that's obnoxious. They're already valuable.

The rare ones will fetch a decent price now, for sure, but I'm sure they'll drop when interest in FiM wanes.

I kind of think the same way.  I can't bring myself to spend$2 for a small handful of cards when I could spend the same $2 and get a blind bag figure.  Or even better, save my money for brushables.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
i dont know i doughtthey will become like pokemon but they will be a little valuable and so everyone knows the first edish chrizard is still worth antwhere from 20-1500  :shocked:

WorldEdit

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Card collecting is always an up and down roller-coaster in terms of value and pricing. As someone who has been collecting sports cards for years I can tell you that the "value" of the card is determined by a variety of factors to include: condition, rarity, and stock.

Lets say the company printing them decides to create a series 2 and discontinues printing the first series. Those cards are surely going to go up in value depending on the availability of the left over unopened stock of cards at various retailers. I think the reason why some of the foils are going for $50 dollars is because they are brand new and people are trying to collect the entire sets before anyone else.

The foils don't seem all that rare to me because I have bought a total of 9 packs and I have received the foil Twilight Sparkle. My PFF has the Luna Foil (so jelly) and she has purchased nearly the same amount of packs. Doing a little math and being a little generous I get a 1/10 packs or maybe a 1/12 packs pull rate for a foil or rarer card which makes sense. Now this logic is kind shooting from the hip, it could not be accurate at all, but its going to be interesting seeing what the coming months bring in terms of pricing and availability in terms of these cards.   

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »
I am going to say the most valuable cards will be FULL sets, and to have a full set you will need a rarity promo card,fluttershy promo card and a rainbow dash promo card, they made I hear around 1500 of the fluttershy and rarity cards and a few hundred rainbow dash cards(I do hear they plan to release more of the rainbow dash cards at future events, this is from enterplays web site A very special Rarity™ foil card (#F40) was released as an exclusive for the Brony Con convention held recently at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. If you weren’t able to get your hands on one of these very cool cards, you will have to trade. Also, a very special Rainbow Dash™ foil card (#F37) was given out to a few hundred lucky consumers at Comic Con in San Diego. While this is not an exclusive card for Comic Con, it is a limited edition, and this is the only way this card has been distributed so far. (Look for Rainbow Dash #F37 to make an appearance at future fan events.) Check back here for news on more exciting cards and card product announcements in the very near future!.) so the number of full sets is limited to the number of rare promo cards they make, so if they make no more rarity and fluttershy promo cards then there will never be more than 1500 full sets. the prices will go down at some point as people move on, but a full set with ALL the cards will become harder and harder to find.

before long the common cards will be cheaper than dirt ,but the promo cards will vanish as everypony gets one to make a set, that is why i always but a set together as fast as i can, because most of the time the rare stuff is gone fast and you have to wait for a seller to put one on ebay.
if the price goes up or down it does not matter to me because i do not collect to make money , i collect because i like it and it makes me happy,  if a pony can they sould put together a set now, because it is better to get them while you can then to wait for the prices to fall and missing out because the rare ones are gone.

sure the promo cards might only be worth .01 in a few years, but then again they might be worth 1000. who knows?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:11:09 AM by mlpfan »
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal