collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Friendship is Magic Collection wave 2 (blind-bag sized character/story figs)  (Read 5923 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Maud Pie blind bag-sized
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »
Love the new poses, they're so cute! I also like how they are actually tying the toys to the show made to advertise them. What a concept!

However, as much as I'd like to see new brushable poses, molded hair is really the better look for some of them. Especially the new sculpt for Pinkie, it looks much better than the old one.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »
I love the new poses.

I guess this means more VERY high priced mini sets instead of new brushable ponies.  Is this the future of pony ?

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
Please we have Explore Equestria coming as well. I'm sure they make new brushable characters. G3 also had Ponyville I don't see difference imo. Im still happy they produce new things ^^

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
I don't collect mini figures (haven't since 2013), honestly Hasbro is paying way too much attention to them recently, probably because bronies want 'show-accurate' stuff, which is easier to achieve with a mini figure (especially with hair molds), and they're worried that a certain fan base will be angry if otherwise. Sigh...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
Is this the future of pony ?
I hope not.  Though, I've compared them to the one-step Transformers which seem to be becoming the rigor over there.  Why, Hasbro?  We you so cheap with your toys?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
Wow, okay, I'm kind of regretting posting this now. Do we really need the same copy+pasted complaints people have been posting for the last four years in a news topic?
I guess this means more VERY high priced mini sets
But most of them are cheaper than the actual blind bags.
On another note, has anyone noticed that most of the new poses are Earth pony only? I realize that the apple family is pretty much all earth ponies but I don't think I've seen new poses for the other two species lately...
Eh, as you say, the minifig line has been very focused on the apple family lately. Judging by the Amazon listings, though, seeing all this Pinkie Pie stuff first is just coincidence. Maud and Mrs. Cake are likely from the "Pinkie Pie Pack," and there'll be other figures for the rest of the main characters, like the "Rainbow Fash Winning Kick."

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »
I don't collect mini figures (haven't since 2013), honestly Hasbro is paying way too much attention to them recently, probably because bronies want 'show-accurate' stuff, which is easier to achieve with a mini figure (especially with hair molds), and they're worried that a certain fan base will be angry if otherwise. Sigh...

I think they are also popular with the target audience. Kids tend to like to act out their favorite scenes and all the accessories and playsets are good for that and because they are smaller they are more affordable than a huge plastic castle. If anything is to blame it's toy trends favoring tiny stuff again.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
Except Hasbro's not Micro Machines.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
Is this the future of pony ?
I hope not.  Though, I've compared them to the one-step Transformers which seem to be becoming the rigor over there.  Why, Hasbro?  We you so cheap with your toys?

With Transformers, I've heard it's because the audience has shifted younger, due to kids losing interest in toys earlier.  For really young kids, a one-step transformation is easier that remembering a set of directions.

All I really want out of Transformers is a show-accurate Knock Out someday.

I agree that the mini-figures are probably popular with kids.  I had tons of plastic animals as a kid . . . Not really any different from blind bags, except they weren't licensed characters (and weren't pink or purple, ha ha). 

I don't mind the blind bags being around, I'm just disappointed that Hasbro STILL has not expanded the poses for the brushables.  Apparently they realize that creating new poses for the blind bags makes them more exciting and interesting, so how come they don't realize that creating new poses for the brushables would also make them more exciting and interesting?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »

I think they are also popular with the target audience. Kids tend to like to act out their favorite scenes and all the accessories and playsets are good for that and because they are smaller they are more affordable than a huge plastic castle. If anything is to blame it's toy trends favoring tiny stuff again.

This. Most popular toys at the moment have several sets of blind bags (Moshi Monsters was almost exclusively made of tiny figures, as are Shopkins, etc, Pokemon was HUGE on this too, and Disney's Tsumtsums work on the same logic - for a canon that has a LOT of characters, small and cheap is the best way because most people will want all their favourites). Plus, it's likely easier to get people to spend more via lots of little purchases than one large one.

I think these new blind bags look great! I'm pretty much done with collecting them personally, but I love the playsets and really hope they'll continue to bring them out until you can have a whole miniature Equestria  :biggrin:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
Yeah, I actually like the little plastic figures, and really like the sets- I just think they are overpriced. But I am sure they are selling well, and the cost of production is certainly less than it would be for the brushables.

I also agree that younger kids often like the tiny figures.  I did when I was small- I had mountains of "little people" and their animals. 

But not all kids.  One of my nieces really REALLY loved MLP and when she was 4-6 (alas she is losing interest now at 7) preferred greatly the "princess" size- bigger than brushable but smaller than fashion style.  I think they just fit in her hand best.  The other kids weren't much into MLP. None of the kids have been particularly interested in the blind bag ones for whatever reason. My sister says they get played with for 5 seconds and then are lost underfoot.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
I just find it funny that we finally get something new but "This isn't what I wanted so it's terrible" is the general feeling I'm getting from a lot of comments.  It's okay not to like it, but I see the same comments all the time any time something new is posted.  It's getting a little stale, guys.  Also, I dislike the term brony, but when are we going to stop blaming everything on them?  I highly doubt that group has very much to do with the fact that Hasbro is putting out more blind bag ponies with better poses and more accurate looks.

To each their own though, right?

I've been in the pony aisle plenty of times and have seen little kids going through the boxes of blind bag ponies, seemingly excited about picking a few out.  When I went to get the Apple family barn playset, a little girl begged her mom to get one for her while she kept pointing at the one I had in my hands.  While this may not be true of all kids, there is certainly an audience for them.  Many of my collector friends enjoyed the Apple family sets and, I'll admit it, when I spoke to the Hasbro reps at the Fair this past June, I told them that I'd love to see these tiny figures expand to include all of Equestria. *dodges fakies* :throw:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm just sick and tired of seeing this statement) but where does it explicitly state that My Little Pony toys are only meant to be brushables and anything else "isn't a real pony"? 

When I was younger, I loved having tiny figures to play with. Polly Pocket was my favorite thing, I had so many sets!  I didn't care about brushing hair or anything like that, I just wanted some toys to use to act out the stories I came up with in my head.

While I agree that it would be nice to see more diversity in the brushables, it's not like they're ignoring them completely.  Coco Pommel is absolutely gorgeous in person and they've done a great job with her show-accurate hair style.  But yes, I'm just as disappointed as the next collector that we haven't seen anything new in the standard brushable lines.

Anyway, I think these new figures are cute.  The poses are great and I can't wait until we're able to purchase them in stores!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:16:47 PM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
I hope this means each of the mane 6 are going to get a series of playsets based around them.  I got tired of the blind bags and the 3 pony sets pretty quickly.  But I love the elaborate playsets with lots of accessories and even more poses.  When Target's cartwheel had them 25% off, I gave in and bought almost all of them.

Grant you, I would still prefer brushables.  But I like these playsets better than most of the brushable sized playsets.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
All I have to say is that I'm resentful that the blind bags have so many more poses than the brushables.

I'm resentful that there are so much more blind bags in general.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
I just find it funny that we finally get something new but "This isn't what I wanted so it's terrible" is the general feeling I'm getting from a lot of comments.  It's okay not to like it, but I see the same comments all the time any time something new is posted.  It's getting a little stale, guys.  Also, I dislike the term brony, but when are we going to stop blaming everything on them?  I highly doubt that group has very much to do with the fact that Hasbro is putting out more blind bag ponies with better poses and more accurate looks.

To each their own though, right?

I've been in the pony aisle plenty of times and have seen little kids going through the boxes of blind bag ponies, seemingly excited about picking a few out.  When I went to get the Apple family barn playset, a little girl begged her mom to get one for her while she kept pointing at the one I had in my hands.  While this may not be true of all kids, there is certainly an audience for them.  Many of my collector friends enjoyed the Apple family sets and, I'll admit it, when I spoke to the Hasbro reps at the Fair this past June, I told them that I'd love to see these tiny figures expand to include all of Equestria. *dodges fakies* :throw:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm just sick and tired of seeing this statement) but where does it explicitly state that My Little Pony toys are only meant to be brushables and anything else "isn't a real pony"? 

When I was younger, I loved having tiny figures to play with. Polly Pocket was my favorite thing, I had so many sets!  I didn't care about brushing hair or anything like that, I just wanted some toys to use to act out the stories I came up with in my head.

While I agree that it would be nice to see more diversity in the brushables, it's not like they're ignoring them completely.  Coco Pommel is absolutely gorgeous in person and they've done a great job with her show-accurate hair style.  But yes, I'm just as disappointed as the next collector that we haven't seen anything new in the standard brushable lines.

Anyway, I think these new figures are cute.  The poses are great and I can't wait until we're able to purchase them in stores!

I agree completely! And I'm not too keen on new brushable poses - they'd be harder to display, and we'd probably see a full year exclusively of ponies we've already seen in the newer poses.

But anyway, I agree with pretty much everything said in this post, and I'm very excited about these new figures! (That leaning Pinkie is absolutely ADORABLE).
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal