collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of April 28: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 9226 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Week of April 28: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 12:42:37 AM »
I was also going to mention that guns are not really an everyday thing here, so it would be more 'tv drama' than 'actually happening' from a UK perspective in most areas. I think the first time I ever saw a real gun was at the airport in Prague. I was 28. So that maybe gives some context.

Either way it's a horrible occurrence. I hope they got the person involved :(

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
Just been in touch wi a pal & we were of course talking about the virus & its effects. Pal told me some Covidiots (cheers Taffeta) got hosed down in Aberdeen for protesting the lockdown...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 05:59:30 AM »
People don't carry guns round generally in the UK. So it's nearly impossible for many of us to wrap our heads round some random person shooting somebody for something that small, especially when it's been deemed an important measure to fight against this virus.

I live in a notorious gun loving state and I don't get it either.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 06:06:20 AM »
Here is the latest from here. Today was supposed to be the day to celebrate that we have been a free country for 75 years now after World War 2. But you guessed it, like Kings Day and the memorial of those who have fallen during wars it had to be celebrated at home.
It does give me the extra feeling to treasure the freedom I have combined with the restictions.

Also today the information has been leaked that the plan is to open up terraces per June 1st. But how and what we hear on this press conference tomorrow. To be honest is the idea is a bit weird. Because not everyone has enough space outside to seat a lot of people.

Our death figure has gone up to 5168. The amount per day still differs because not everyone is reported the same day. But you can see the amount is going down.

The Royal Dutch Airlines aka KLM has decided that everyone must wear a face mask on their flights. The period is set until August 31st. And they are not providing them.
At this daily entertainment show one of the crime experts came with something interesting. It is by law forbidden to cover up your face pointing to the burka. But if we all have to wear masks what does the law do with it?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 07:31:01 AM »
:shocked: :enraged:
It seems like Security boy was "please protect the health of everybody in this shop", & shooter was "I don't care about their health... or yours!!!" (cue sinister theme to shot)
It's like a movie scene featuring the dastardly villain!!!

If you read about the incident, that's not how it happened.

The lady had a mask on, but her daughter did not. The security guard said the daughter was not allowed in -- and then said that the cashier couldn't serve the lady. They ended up leaving, then coming back with other people, who then shot the guard. That's very summarized, I don't know what was said between the people.

It sounds more like "I didn't like how you treated me" then "you told me to wear a mask and I don't believe in that". Any act of violence, be it gun, knife, or fist breaks my heart. :( I'm very sad to hear this story.

My mom visited yesterday to drop off some medicine. Her and my stepdad wore a mask. It didn't strike me as too weird in my head. They kept their distance and it was just a very short hello. I think I see masks more for medical purposes, rather then burglary. If I think of someone stealing, I think of a ski mask. If I see people outside in masks, I think those people want to protect others. And how could that be wrong? Even to those who don't want to wear masks.

(And if I don't see someone wearing a mask, I don't make a judgement. Because I don't know why they aren't-- it could be physical, mental, or something else but it's not my business imo.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:32:55 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
:shocked: :enraged:
It seems like Security boy was "please protect the health of everybody in this shop", & shooter was "I don't care about their health... or yours!!!" (cue sinister theme to shot)
It's like a movie scene featuring the dastardly villain!!!

If you read about the incident, that's not how it happened.

The lady had a mask on, but her daughter did not. The security guard said the daughter was not allowed in -- and then said that the cashier couldn't serve the lady. They ended up leaving, then coming back with other people, who then shot the guard. That's very summarized, I don't know what was said between the people.

It sounds more like "I didn't like how you treated me" then "you told me to wear a mask and I don't believe in that". Any act of violence, be it gun, knife, or fist breaks my heart. :( I'm very sad to hear this story.

My mom visited yesterday to drop off some medicine. Her and my stepdad wore a mask. It didn't strike me as too weird in my head. They kept their distance and it was just a very short hello. I think I see masks more for medical purposes, rather then burglary. If I think of someone stealing, I think of a ski mask. If I see people outside in masks, I think those people want to protect others. And how could that be wrong? Even to those who don't want to wear masks.

(And if I don't see someone wearing a mask, I don't make a judgement. Because I don't know why they aren't-- it could be physical, mental, or something else but it's not my business imo.)
Cheers for the update. It's just so unreal to me I came out wi a garble. Apologies if I made no sense.

In a way, the fact they left, came back then shot the guard makes it worse. Not like it isn't horrific enough in the first place
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »
Latest info from my county/state.

May 8th: Hair and nail salons can reopen

May 18th: Gyms can reopen but must keep capacity at 25% Non-essential  manufactures may also reopen on that day.

High school graduations can happen after June 1st. Ceremonies must be held outside and graduates will only be allowed to have 4 guests.

My county is at 567 cases, 272 recovered and 46 deaths. The lake that I mentioned over the weekend is now limiting guests to 10 per car and has closed the shore so people can't gather in large crowds around it.

I keep hearing people talk about "Only" (x amount of deaths) as well. Sorry, but I really find all that stuff so distasteful. Or the talk of people "who would have died anyway". Tell that to their families.

I don't like when the media talks about deaths that way either. Every death is important.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
welp.

the law makers have started a bill rolling that will cancel out any stay at home orders longer then 14 days.

We don't have difficult rules to follow. People are allowed out, they just have to follow social distancing when they do so. We have a slow opening with businesses, but everything WILL open with some rules in place.

u.u; we'll see how this goes, but I have a bad feeling it will eventually get passed.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 07:57:16 PM »
welp.

the law makers have started a bill rolling that will cancel out any stay at home orders longer then 14 days.

We don't have difficult rules to follow. People are allowed out, they just have to follow social distancing when they do so. We have a slow opening with businesses, but everything WILL open with some rules in place.

u.u; we'll see how this goes, but I have a bad feeling it will eventually get passed.
I really hope not.  While this pandemic is bad... there are a lot of reasons in the future why a state might issue a stay at home order longer than 14 days.  Natural disaster, riots, war, other diseases come to mind.  And some states are are actually more at risk than others even now.

At the grocery, I saw an elderly man with no mask buying some lottery tickets. His optimism made me smile.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 02:19:29 AM »
So a lot came out from the press conference yesterday. The main message is now stay at home if you have health problems and keep the distance. And the advice is to keep on work from home. Everything that came out is only possible if there is no new peek of the virus.

11 May:
- Most contact professions are allowed again
- Practice sports outside
- Libraries are allowed to open
- A visiting arrangement for nursing homes is possible but it starts with a pilot

1 June:
- Outside terraces are allowed to open, inside restaurant 30 people only and with reservations upfront.
- Cinemas open up but 30 people only
- Museums up to 30 people so reservations upfront
- And the most drastic one: Public Transport start their complete service again but people have to wear face masks. If you don't you will be fined. It also says to travel only if necessary and keep the distance. To discourage people for a "day out" its not allowed anymore to take your bicycle on the train. Very silly because they forget that a lot of people have to travel further than just the train station.

Well the schedule goes on until September but first I have to see how this is going. I would be very glad to visit my favourite sushi place again. As for the public transport. The hunt for the masks has started. A shawl is not allowed.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2020, 02:30:13 AM »
Rumours are that there will be some easing here from Monday, but starting slow with unlimited outdoor exercise, allowed to sunbathe in parks and such, possibly some pub gardens will open if they are able to do it safely, and garden centres which several MPs have been arguing for (if we can have stores like the Range opening despite selling about 3 items of food and in spite of the social distancing being an absolute fail, then having 90% outside garden centres with social distancing is a no brainer, surely. But this is what happens when urban people make national decisions.)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2020, 05:56:35 AM »
Latest info from where I live.

575 cases, 47 deaths, 283 recovered.

The governor has ordered that bars, tattoo and massage parlors, bowling alleys, amusement parks, water parks, pools and splash pads will remain closed until further notice and will not reopen until the governor gives a specific order saying these businesses can reopen. 

A woman in a major city in my state was arrested and put in jail for operating her hair salon when all salons were to remain closed under the  non essential businesses order.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 06:09:51 AM »
 >_<  This morning the news came that organizing massive events probably won't happen before there is a vaccin. And with massive they mean festivals, large concerts and every other event where people are packed like sardines.
Which means there is no exact date when people can start organise. And this is for after September 1st because all events are off until then.
Ofcourse this calls for a discussion because the neighbour countries could decide differently and it won't solve anything if the dutch decide to go over there.

I ordered a small stock of disposable masks since I would need them to travel to my job interviews. This is until I found a nice and affordable cloth one.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2020, 06:18:12 AM »
I ordered a small stock of disposable masks since I would need them to travel to my job interviews. This is until I found a nice and affordable cloth one.

I'm sorry if this isn't the thread for it, but may I ask where you ordered them? I am depended on public transportation too, and to be honest I have absolutely no idea where to get masks...

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2020, 06:59:04 AM »
Here's a link to an article about a study done on the best materials for DIY masks: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/best-coronavirus-face-mask-materials-new-study_l_5e99b576c5b6a92100e63129

tldr: Canvas, denim, cotton sheets, paper towel are the most effective materials while still being breathable.  Natural fibers are much more effective than synthetic.  Scarves and single layer bandanas do little more than nothing.

Stay safe, y'all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal