collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is on a real 80s / G1 kick on Facebook this year, anyone noticed?  (Read 14453 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is on a real 80s / G1 kick on Facebook this year, anyone noticed?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Rainbow Magic's wings are missing o.O.

I was going to make a cynical comment about the choice of image because one of the Fluttershys looks a lot like Rainbow Magic, but missing off the wings in the playdoh version isn't a great way of doing that.

As a kid, I would have probably had a monumental grudge against Hasbro for missing her wings off xD. Rainbow Magic was super special to me back then :)

On another note, if Hasbro want to cater to G1 fans, maybe do more to support Basic Fun instead of telling everyone that they basically have nothing to do with the retros. And maybe also ditch the mane 6 core pony squad idea and get back to actual creative different ideas and themes centred on a toyline...?

I'm not bothered about them remaking G1 or even making ponies that look like G1 ever again, if they don't want to. But at least give the kids the chance to choose more and imagine more, rather than telling them a fixed story and only selling them the characters from that story.

:iconclap: :iconclap:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
OMG, I love that lunchbox!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
There were no 80s metal lunchboxes for MLP as far as I know.  The ones my family had were from the 70s I think?  Scooby Doo, etc.
My first few lunchboxes were metal.  Dark Crystal, Strawberry Shortcake, but then I wanted a MLP one.

I was the reverse of that and wanted the Dark Crystal one the most. Sadly, I never got it but I did get a Labyrinth one. A plastic one, wish I'd kept that what with all the new interest in the movie.

Those folks who are hating on this, do they even realize that without G1 there would be no G4. Show some respect for how the brand started. *sigh* That's why I have distanced myself from G4.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 05:53:04 AM »
We only rarely had character themed lunch boxes in primary school here in Australia in the 80s and 90s, I don't think they were as widely available in stores here as they were in the US.  Always wanted one, though!  Bought this one earlier this week, can't wait for it to arrive  :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
I had a plastic MLP lunchbox, it was all brand new too. Sadly, it met a disgusting fate. I forgot it at school over the weekend with food in it. The smell was so foul I threw it away on the spot and boooy did I get in trouble with my grandma, because she was the one who bought it for me.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:18:52 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 06:16:18 AM »
I never had any of the MLP lunch boxes as a kid.
Honestly I think the only MLP merch I had as a kid other than a few of the ponies was a puzzle XD

But yes I have noticed Hasbro posting these things, along with their G4 remakes of some 80's sitcom opening themes (which for those I honestly cringe XD)

Sad to see that there are still some people hating on Hasbro bringing this stuff to the forefront
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:18:10 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 06:19:56 AM »
I never had any of the MLP lunch boxes as a kid.
Honestly I think the only MLP merch I had as a kid other than a few of the ponies was a puzzle XD

But yes I have noticed Hasbro posting these things, along with their G4 remakes of some 80's sitcom opening themes (which for those I honestly cringe XD)

Sad to see that there are still some people hating on Hasbro bringing this stuff to the forefront

It is astonishing how some people think they're the only fans who count.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:42 AM »
I think they have realized the G4 brony fad has died down a lot; and now they are like “oh yeah remember the other group of pony fans? Let’s cater to them now!”
They could also be trying to get bronies to appreciate G4, as I still remember them asking them to appreciate the "pre-Equestria ponies" or whatever it was they referred to G4 as.  The cool thing about Hasbro is that it never really forgets its generations, as they'll often release something from the older generations, or at least do something to remind you that the older generations still exit (Hasbro still upload clips of old generations to YouTube for example, or at least they did.) I think they want to give the older fans something, but also gain some newer fans too, which is awesome.

I wouldn't be surprised if when we get the G5 or further, they'll still bring out the odd G4 thing for the same reasons.

Quote from: Sky_Rocket_Sammie
Those folks who are hating on this, do they even realize that without G1 there would be no G4. Show some respect for how the brand started. *sigh* That's why I have distanced myself from G4.
As much as I love all generations ofMy Little Pony, I've never found this to be a good counter for the pre-G4 haters.  Even if the old generations were bad (which they weren't) there's still a chance that G4 would still get made.  It's not a good defence, as I have seen Hater-Bronies point out that just because the "bad" generations led up to G4, it doesn't stop them being bad.  One Hater-Brony even said something like "Flowers may come from the soil, but we still wipe dirt from our shoes" (Note: I always regret not countering that with "The previous generations aren't the dirt, they are the flowers that seeded this generation.")

Basically, if we're going to defend the previous generations and/or open the minds of Hater-Bronies, we need to do more than "The remake wouldn't exist without the original" style comments - we should explain what about the previous generations is actually good.  We should explain that the episodes actually did have stuff going on, we should show them that the ponies had character, that the episodes were entertaining, and most of all we should show them that G4 isn't even that different from the older generations!  I mean yeah, it's distanced itself now, but when it began, and bronies agreed that it was the most awesome show ever, it really wasn't that different from the previous generations, so if they had given the previous generations a chance, they would have loved them, because it's pretty much exactly like what they fell in love with back when My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic first came into their lives.

That is what we should use for our defence of the older generations.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:24:41 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
The cool thing about Hasbro is that it never really forgets its generations,

Except G2.  :P

To be fair, G2 had suuuuch a short run in the US, I can understand why they're (seemingly) unaware of it.

As much as I love all generations ofMy Little Pony, I've never found this to be a good counter for the pre-G4 haters.

I welcome the opportunity to drink their tears.  Every whiny comment they post increases my dark power.  :devious:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »
G2 was also licensed to Kenner, wasn't it? Was it Kenner? To someone, anyway. At least at some point in the production. Like as not Hasbro don't really even think about it for this reason (and I think Hasbro did take over Kenner, but there is something there lodged in my brain regarding that).

With the bronies - and with the greatest of respect - I disagree.

We owe the bronies nothing.

And nor do they owe us anything, either.

If they want to hate older generations, they have the right. I mean, I don't respect those who just troll and say they hate them because "Faust said X" or whatever, but it's a free universe. I don't visit brony fandoms so I don't really care about the trolling.

For me if someone is willing to actually know something about another gen before dismissing it, then I can respect that. I watched FIM and I didn't like it, but I feel like I can say I don't like it and articulate why, because I took the time to look at it before making a decision. If people do that about older generations, even if their view isn't my view, I can deal with that.

The thing that bothers me is the idea that we somehow owe the bronies something, like an education. This has come up before, and it bothers me just as much now. I don't feel inclined to want to reward ignorance with attention...people are lazy these days and expect to be spoonfed everything, while they just sit there and absorb it. If they want to know, they can do the work to find out. It's not my job to direct them to all the source material which they could easily find themselves if they typed into Google.

More than that, it bothers me that there's some sense we need their positive reaction as a validation of the older generations. But we don't. Pony collectors existed as a community long before even G3 was a thing. What the bronies think or do is irrelevant to us. We don't have to win them over. We don't need them to declare their love for old MLP for old MLP to still be awesome.

I find it amusing they're annoyed at hasbro giving older gens attention, to be honest. It's back to that insecurity whereby they have to trample older gens into the ground to validate THEIR fandom. But we have never needed to do that, so let them complain...

(As a disclaimer, I use the word brony here advisedly. I am aware there are fans of G4 who call themselves bronies but who are not disrespectful to older gens, even if they do not follow them. The above comments are not directed at those kinds of fans. I really strongly believe in an integrated community going forwards - but I do not feel the urge to try to force people to love G1 stuff just because I love it. )
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
Part of it is, I admit, because I am a brony who loves all generations, so I do kind of want to educate the unknowing ones - the ones who have just heard other bronies say they are bad, and not checked out the generations themselves.  I do think it's good to motivate them to actually look at the generations and decide if they hate them, rather than go with what people are doing.

Basically, I wonder how many of the haters have actually seen the older generations, or whether they're just going with what they've heard, or what they assume My Little Pony to be.  It's like G3 for example, a common complaint amongst its haters is that every single pony acted exactly the same, but it only takes a short glance at G3 to realise that this couldn't be further from the truth, and that each pony had a distinct personality.  Basically, Hater-Bronies in general seem to think that every previous generation was Newborn Cuties... and to be honest, I even like that one.

But yeah, if they tried them, and still don't like them, I respect their opinions, but even they shouldn't act like Hasbro aren't allowed to promote them, or get overly nasty to the people who do like them.  Especially when it's the same level of nastiness that their haters give them.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »
I would have pined over that lunchbox as a kid.

It might just be me, but when I was a kid it was kind of the cusp of changing from metal to plastic lunchboxes. And I just didn't like the plastic lunchboxes as much because they were completely flat (most of the lunchboxes I had were dimensional) and they felt way cheaper.

This would have been an awesome compromise.

Because this is just OK in my opinion.

ohhhh ahhhh I had that lunchbox as a kid! came with a thermos too.

Did you notice it's the same design as the one originally posted by the OP of this thread :)  Which means you need it.

omg my friend would have loved this because Streaky was her favourite pony ever (close to tears now)...
its really pretty, I like to fresh colors on it!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
Dude, if someone is that invested in hating on a toy you can't help them.  It's the whole Transformers Beast Wars "truck not monkey" thing.  It's not based on logic, it's based on emotion and, in this case, insecurity.

What really bothers them is the idea that they might like something "girly" because they see "girly" as being "bad."  Therefore they try to create this narrative where all the OTHER generations of MLP were girly, but not this one.  "We're the real target demographic of FIM!" Absolutely ridiculous.  MLP FIM is girly and is aimed squarely at 4 - 10 year old girls.

But you will only upset them by pointing out the similarities between the generations, because you are destroying the narrative that they are using to shield their fragile, fragile masculinity.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
Dude, if someone is that invested in hating on a toy you can't help them.  It's the whole Transformers Beast Wars "truck not monkey" thing.  It's not based on logic, it's based on emotion and, in this case, insecurity.

What really bothers them is the idea that they might like something "girly" because they see "girly" as being "bad."  Therefore they try to create this narrative where all the OTHER generations of MLP were girly, but not this one.  "We're the real target demographic of FIM!" Absolutely ridiculous.  MLP FIM is girly and is aimed squarely at 4 - 10 year old girls.

But you will only upset them by pointing out the similarities between the generations, because you are destroying the narrative that they are using to shield their fragile, fragile masculinity.
Yeah, I often think it's insecurity too.  It really is a shame, they also go the opposite way and over compensate whenever FiM does something "cool" as well, like "Hey look!  They included a fight scene - it can't be for little girls!" it really is embarrassing to be honest.  It really is a shame, as girly things really can be cool, and My Little Pony is one of the many things that show it (most of my favorite shows are very clearly for girls.)  In fact, I'm sure one of Lauren Faust's main points with FiM was that you can be girly and be awesome at the same time, so those bronies really got that part wrong.

But yeah, I get what you mean.  I'm just really defensive of things I like when they hate it for untrue reasons (in fact, I'm even like that for things I don't like), I'll just never understand the need to invent reasons to hate things they already hate - they already hate it, so why make up reasons if you have them already, if that makes sense?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:46:48 PM by MJNSEIFER »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 01:11:16 PM »

But yeah, I get what you mean.  I'm just really defensive of things I like when they hate it for untrue reasons (in fact, I'm even like that for things I don't like), I'll just never understand the need to invent reasons to hate things they already hate - they already hate it, so why make up reasons if you have them already, if that makes sense?

Don't worry, we all know you're not part of the problem ;) and it's awesome you want to be part of the solution, but you'll end up upsetting yourself more than you will change them.

I do understand your frustration about people believing things that are not true. This is a twitch of mine as well, because I am such a detail obsessive that wrong information of any kind just eats my brain and makes me want to fix it. BUT that said, I've learned that there are times you have to walk away because the other person is an idiot. The crazy bronies come under that umbrella. They are not going to listen or change their mind. And really, the person who is going to end up upset is gonna be you, not them.

I was a mod on a Bleach (anime) forum for a good six years or so and the number of arguments over whether Bleach, One Piece or Naruto was best was mindnumbing at the best of times. Because aside the fact it didn't matter, everyone was entitled to their own views, the need some people had to come onto a Bleach forum to trash it because they liked Naruto and had never seen/read Bleach was just...gah.

So this example is applicable to FIM and stuff too. Within a FIM community, trashing other pony stuff is probably not that big a deal, and I kind of feel like if I was to go in there and try and convert them to G1, I'd be like the annoying Naruto fans on my Bleach forum who just wanted to put their view over without really having any justification to be there.

But then if the brony people who cause issues came here with the intention of lecturing about G4 being better, same rules apply.

The Hasbro group though is neutral space. And posting negative comments in neutral space has a purpose. People who do that take power from having a reaction. The more you protest at them, the more they think they're big and clever because they're getting attention. And attention validates their actions, and it does nothing to help improve relations between them and other fans.

I don't really understand the need for some FIM fans to validate their fandom by trashing someone else's, not least because they give other FIM and G4 fans a bad name by doing it. And their behaviour is annoying, but I think challenging them basically brings you down to their level, and you're really not at their level :)

So don't let them wind you up. You don't have anything to prove to people who get their kicks from trolling.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal