collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?  (Read 15485 times)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
Re: What is the most expensive pony you've ever bought?
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »
The most expensive for me I think are in US Dollars:
Peruvian Baby Blossom - $45
Brazillian Shy Pose Gusty - $55
Munchy - $50
Jenny - $50

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:15 AM »
With all the budget minded people on this thread, I'm wondering who keeps winning those stupid expensive auctions on ebay:p 

I know, right?  Apparently you and me and just a few others here appear to be paying too much for ponies, everyone else seems to find them somewhere cheaper!  :lol:

It's hard being a collector in a country like Australia, where the US Dollar is considerably stronger than our local currency, because by the time you factor in the currency conversion AND the outrageously expensive international shipping costs, a single not-super-expensive pony which may originally have cost $10 USD often ends up costing $30+ Australian dollars.  That's per pony.  Consider that any rare ponies purchased overseas in USD or GBP once converted to AUD will end up cost one third to double as much as it would for someone buying the pony who lives in the country of origin. 

And countries like Australia have a much smaller market for ponies for sale locally, and 9/10 times the only ponies for sale are super common and not the ones you're looking for.  Which means you ship in almost every pony you want.  I've probably imported 94% of my collection, as those ponies just do not come up for sale here.  Like, ever. So many international collectors operate at a disadvantage due to their geographical location as well as the currency conversion expenses.  If I lived in the US or Europe I am certain I could afford twice as many ponies as I can now.  Everything just costs so muh money to bring to Australia  >_<

I completely agree starstrider, in South Africa we have currency conversion rates of $1-00 to ZAR13-00 and up. So I have to times the lot price by at least 13, and that does not include shipping. The British Pound is worse, for that I have to times by just over 17. We do have a limited amount of ponies for sale locally, but their prices have doubled in the past year.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »
My most expensive pony is this beauty:

Macau Jenny
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

When I found out about her, she jumped up to be my number one grail. I bought her for 60$ a couple of years ago. She is just so beautiful and special :inlove:

My second most expensive purchase isn’t a pony so much, but definitely pony-related!

Puffy stickers!

Baby Gusty & Baby Ribbon

I bought them together and the total was more than I’ve used on any pony :lookround: I really wanted them though!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Cloud Dreamer

• Custom Bait Pony
  • get all the ponies or die trying
    • View Profile
    • My Links
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
The most expensive pony I've bought was Night Light, I believe she came to around $103. Second most expensive is my funko Celestia, which was $90.
☁️ Cloud Dreamer ☁️
🎀

☁️ avatar created by poniesthatsparkle ☁️

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »
that...is a really good question. I buy most my ponies thrift, so.....hm.....probably my massive Sparkle TY Pinkie Pie, which says $24.95 on her tag. My FUNKO vinyl collectibles come in close second, which I think were $20 a pop at Hot Topic?

I can't fathom spending more than $20 on one pony, especially if it's small.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:08:26 PM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
Probably one of my mountain boys has been my most expensive purchase -- some of of them have been around the $115 range (can't remember their exact prices). I'd wanted them for a long time, and I'm happy with the amount I spent on them. I *think* I would consider spending more for Ice Crystal (the last one I want) or one of the birthday babies, but there aren't many ponies I would spend much more on. Groups of ponies, however, I've spent more on, mostly because when you do the math you're spending less per pony. I think the most I spent for a lot was about $700 (it included all the TAF babies with their ribbons and lots of other ponies that made it well worth the price). Sometimes my sister and I will go in on a lot together if it's expensive/risky.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2018, 12:14:30 AM »
Night Glider and Buttons have been the most expensive ponies I have bought so far at $35 each. The seller (I have bought from them on a few occasions now at a collectible swap meet type place) had them tagged at $50 but since I was buying quite a number of ponies on both those days they let me have them for $35 each. Amusingly (before I bought those a couple months ago) I had spent $25 each on a couple other ponies and I thought that was pushing it.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2018, 04:39:14 AM »
With all the budget minded people on this thread, I'm wondering who keeps winning those stupid expensive auctions on ebay:p 

I know, right?  Apparently you and me and just a few others here appear to be paying too much for ponies, everyone else seems to find them somewhere cheaper!  :lol:

It's hard being a collector in a country like Australia, where the US Dollar is considerably stronger than our local currency, because by the time you factor in the currency conversion AND the outrageously expensive international shipping costs, a single not-super-expensive pony which may originally have cost $10 USD often ends up costing $30+ Australian dollars.  That's per pony.  Consider that any rare ponies purchased overseas in USD or GBP once converted to AUD will end up cost one third to double as much as it would for someone buying the pony who lives in the country of origin. 

And countries like Australia have a much smaller market for ponies for sale locally, and 9/10 times the only ponies for sale are super common and not the ones you're looking for.  Which means you ship in almost every pony you want.  I've probably imported 94% of my collection, as those ponies just do not come up for sale here.  Like, ever. So many international collectors operate at a disadvantage due to their geographical location as well as the currency conversion expenses.  If I lived in the US or Europe I am certain I could afford twice as many ponies as I can now.  Everything just costs so muh money to bring to Australia  >_<

I completely agree starstrider, in South Africa we have currency conversion rates of $1-00 to ZAR13-00 and up. So I have to times the lot price by at least 13, and that does not include shipping. The British Pound is worse, for that I have to times by just over 17. We do have a limited amount of ponies for sale locally, but their prices have doubled in the past year.

Just to say that being in Europe is not really that advantageous. I mean, there are so many ponies that are not available here in all countries so trying to track them down is a pain.

And the cheap auctions are always the US only ones.

Our exchange rate to $ and Euro has been shot since the Brexit vote, there's the problem of customs duty which we might soon have for Europe as well as the US/everywhere else...and then there's the GSP.

US ponypeople are the truly blessed ones. No import duty, plenty of ponies within the US to choose from...cheaper prices overall for new stuff :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
Somewhere under 60 dollars shipped for a G1 Moondancer plush, with tags and the comb still intact. She is also clear white! Some eye wear, and the symbols have bled. But considering what a similar one shipped from USA would have costed with shipping and customs, she was well priced.

But for regular ponies it's somewhere 29-ish dollars shipped. Both Star Hopper and mexican Baby Northstar each costed me that amount. Sparkle ponies weren't sold where I live so 20€ + shipping was a good price for her at a local auction site - especialy considering she is nearly mint! Just has the previous owners initials on her hooves. The glitter inside her is well balanced too. The mexican Northstar looked good on the pictures but hasn't yet arrived so I can't say for sure. 1/3rd of her price was just shipping.
Also I payed something like 23 USD for a mysterious G1 Morning Glory, sold to the seller as authentic winged, but the seller wasn't sure. Turned out the wings were good quality reproductions. I decided then to search myself a Forget-Me-Not, put the wings on her, and now am attempting to sell the Morning Glory. It didn't end up that bad after all.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
Either my Peru Peg. Blossom or Baby Milky Way. SO WORTH IT!

WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »
Mommy Pony!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2018, 11:42:14 PM »
Just to say that being in Europe is not really that advantageous. I mean, there are so many ponies that are not available here in all countries so trying to track them down is a pain.

Our exchange rate to $ and Euro has been shot since the Brexit vote, there's the problem of customs duty which we might soon have for Europe as well as the US/everywhere else...and then there's the GSP.

US ponypeople are the truly blessed ones. No import duty, plenty of ponies within the US to choose from...cheaper prices overall for new stuff :/

Try being Canadian. 
We got the same ponies as the US but far fewer of any given pony, no real exclusives.  Shipping is an arm and a leg, anything over 20$ gets hit with taxes, customs, import duty handling (fees often total more than the item!), we're excluded from US only auctions despite being practically on top of each other, and our dollar is worth less.   There's no way I could come close to affording my G1 collection today if I hadn't started back in the early 90's.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2018, 01:25:44 AM »

Try being Canadian. 
We got the same ponies as the US but far fewer of any given pony, no real exclusives.  Shipping is an arm and a leg, anything over 20$ gets hit with taxes, customs, import duty handling (fees often total more than the item!), we're excluded from US only auctions despite being practically on top of each other, and our dollar is worth less.   There's no way I could come close to affording my G1 collection today if I hadn't started back in the early 90's.
Ah yeah. You guys have it rough too. :/ In the early days having exclusives really helped with filling all the gaps. But you do at least have a chance of finding some of the cool MO ponies in the wild, which is really unlikely here.

I think it's just back to that same thing. US ponypeople are really blessed...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:04 AM »

Try being Canadian. 
Ah yeah. You guys have it rough too. :/ In the early days having exclusives really helped with filling all the gaps. But you do at least have a chance of finding some of the cool MO ponies in the wild, which is really unlikely here.

I think it's just back to that same thing. US ponypeople are really blessed...

That they were.
While we did have most of the Mail Order offers, Canadian shipping was far more expensive even back then so you just don't find nearly as many MO's 'in the wild'.  The postage and handling was often similar to the cost of just buying a pony from the store, so I'd imagine a lot of parents just went 'no, I'm not getting you that' like mine did.  I only had one MO pony as a kid - Lucky, because he was a boy and that was deemed unique enough to justify - but I did get other things like MO Spike and the baby pony outfits, since they were a decent value.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
I can't really think of any ponies I've spent a good amount on...I would think the most I've spent is around $25, and that would be for the SDCC Muffin Pony. I was fortunate enough to get a few slighty sought after ponies for cheap - Nightglider for $16, 2xSDCC :muffin: Ponies for retail, a glitter Funko Luna for retail (ordered one, lucky enough for it to be a glitter!). I feel like there should be a few I spent more on, but I guess not...Ponies are sort of my cheaper toy collection.

Oh wait! I remembered, the HQG1C ponies. I think PepperJack is the most I've paid up til now. He was $35? $38? Something like that...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal