collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The good ol' G1 times  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
The good ol' G1 times
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:43:48 AM »
I was born in the late 90's and MLP wasn't a big hit here where I live. May you share your childhood memories when G1 was there?

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: The good ol' G1 times
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »
I actually didn't see the MLP cartoon until it was repeated on Disney in the early 90's.  Crunch the Rockdog and The Magic Coins were the episodes that really pulled me in.  Wind Whistler is best pony.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Oniontart

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:42:52 AM »
I also didn't see those when they came first time but I've watched them from videos and my favorite episode was Golden horseshoes and Ice Cream Wars. Mimic and Northstar are one on my favorite ponies in the episodes.

Most of my childhood ponies were my cousins old ponies but luckily I once got new G1 ponies for christmas about age of 3-4.
Those were baby Lollipop and Baby Meadowsweet. Somehow those two survived all these years to be part of my collection :lovey:

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:07:21 AM »
Oh I love this kind of threads <3

Well one memory might be the same for others, no matter what generation of ponies we talk about : standing in front of the shelves, being allowed to pick just one and thinking hard which one to pick!! Ooooooh my!!
I was born in Germany in 1982. I remember when a wave of NEW PONIES came (Raincurls, the Wedding Pony, the Schooltime Ponies,...), the adverts where almost everywhere and it was a really big thing back then.

The best person to go to pick a pony with was my grandma. "Oma Traudi" as I called her (I loved her sooo much, god bless her, she passed away in 2011) was always very patient with me and allowed me to stand there thinking as long as I wanted (and I sometimes really needed a longer while to decide...). I also remember, ponies were really pricey back then.
One of my favourite MLP memories is the following :
In my area the stores didnt carry MLP back then but the area where my grandma (Oma Traudi, said grandma from above) lived had a nice store with lots of toys. So, everytime we went to visit Oma Traudi I tried to get my parents to that store. I saved my pocket money for MLP only and every second visit I had enough money to buy a new pony.
One day  (it must have been 1990 / 1991) my father was about to drive to Oma to help her with something (cant remember what it was and since she had no husband she every now and then needed my fathers help for certain things) and I wanted to go with him (to visit the store of course, lol). I had saved enough money and badly wanted one of the Rainbow Curl ponies but since he had to carry some stuff in the car there wasnt enough space for me to sit. I was in tears!
Somehow though I managed to convince him to go to the store for me to pick up a pony. I gave him my money and one of the adverts where said ponies were pictured and he left. When he came back I was overjoyed!! At first because he came together with Oma Traudi (that was a planned surprise for me lol) and then because he really had gotten me a pony from the store (I had been afraid that he might not find them there or whatever...)! They then handed me a plastic bag telling me the pony was in there. I remember grabbing the bag and rushing off to my room. I reached into the bag and pulled my new pony out and to my surprise there was another one in there!!! Oma had gotten me a second pony :D I was soooo happy, you cant imagine!!
I got Raincurl and the Wedding Pony that day and played the whole afternoon with them. It was like christmas :D

Might share another story later, gotta go for now :)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:41:37 AM »
Oh, my! Memory lane!

The first mlp cartoon I watched was Rescue at Midnight Castle. We rented it from the local gas station and I loved it and everytime it was movierenting time I wanted it. Sometimes my vote got turned down and sometimes it got approved. Later a few more popped up but I loved the first one so much so it was a sad thing when it dissapeared from the shelf to make room for new movies. Mom and dad decided to buy me and my sister the movie and we got so excited til we realised it was the same cover but not the same episodes and it took a long time for me to get over it. Not saying I didn't watch this one tho, I knew all the lines by heart within weeks.

Besides that we have the usual memories of standing infront of the shelves deciding which pony to buy. I remember thinking of buying Heart Throb but then mom showed me Mainsail and since I loved boats I got her instead. Another time I was determined to buy a Barbie Horse and then mom showed me the boys! Instead of a Barbie Horse, Barnacle followed me home and got to merry Mainsail.

Or when a huge box got delivered to us around easter and it contained a bunch of giftwrapped christmaspresents from my aunt in USA and I got Pony Bride! I was soooo excited and bragged about getting a special US pony until I found the same pony in the stores over here a few months later, haha!

I have so many memories it's ridicoulus.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:50:47 AM »
I love these stories!  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to read all of them since I missed G1 as well  (I was a G3 kid). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:07:12 AM »
I actually didn't see the MLP cartoon until it was repeated on Disney in the early 90's.  Crunch the Rockdog and The Magic Coins were the episodes that really pulled me in.  Wind Whistler is best pony.

Like words spoken with my mouth!! I have an old VHS tape where I had recorded my favorite TV shows. Magic coins is on that tape. :) And Wind Whistler IS the best pony. ^.^

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »
I got the grooming parlour with Peachy when I was 6 years old. How I loved it...i still have it now :heart: I only really had a few ponies but i was so happy to have them. I had flutter Rosedust, UK Confetti, the baby buggy with BBE baby Cuddles, Quarterback and Tex. I may have had more but those are the ones I can remember.

I still have all these apart from Confetti and Rosedust.

How I would love to go back in time and go back to my local toy shops but armed with loads of money to buy all the MOC and MIB ponies!!! XD
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:47:24 AM »
I have lots of stories I could tell, but I will just tell this one.

When I turned 6, my grandmother took me to have my ears pierced.  We were at some kind of drug store I think.  I managed not to cry while getting my ears pierced and so on the way out when I saw Megan and Sundance I very sweetly asked my Grannie if I could have a pony since I had been so good and not cried.  She said I could but not right then.  She had other chores to do and so when we ended up at another store, she let me pick out two ponies.  One for myself and one for my little sister.  I got Dancing Butterflies for myself and Sugerberry for my sister.

Also, the only pony cartoons I got to see when I was that age came from the movie rental store.  So basically, RAMC ( which was my favorite both then and now). And the movie and the Katrina episode.  I didn't even know that there was a TV show except for that I caught the first episode of the Magic Coins at my grandparents house.  It was maybe 20 years before I ever found out if that managed to save the baby seaponies.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »
I rember when I was 9 and was redicovering my little pony, I'd go internet surfing and use to play this sticker game someone made, it was a drag n drop game. Idk what ever happned to it to went down sometime in 2003.

I rember it would cold out side and I'd play the sticker game. Also I was looking at someones collection and saw snail rockers! I wanted some so bad.

I recorded the mlp songs on a cassete tape from baby 'lofty song site'.

I know all this dosen't seem like a grate deal, mostly cus it has to do with the internet..kinda lame. I can't discribe the feeling ya know.

Of course I remember getting ponies..too

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:14:08 AM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
i am so in love with g1 ponies and i think i always will be

i got my first pony when i was 4, it was a plush blossom and i still have her.

we had moved from Newfoundland Canada to Quebec Canada and i was not happy to be in a truck and driving for 3 days LOL apparently my mom stopped at a toys r us and got me that pony to keep me happy on the trip.  after that the rest is history

i used to watch the my little pony and friends cartoons on Saturday morning every week

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
I love this thread! I wish this forum had a "like" function, I would like all the posts with so many fond memories!

I was born in 1982, so G1 was my first and greatest pony love. My first memory of MLP is finding Baby Moondancer in the store, I thought she was so cute, she was a baby (still love the babies) and I loved that she came with so many accessories that I could play with.

Then... much to my hearts desire, I saw the MLP special "Escape from Katrina" when it aried on TV, I remember watching it with my parents. And my Mom was like... "You have the pony"! (Baby Moondancer) and it was love, ever since!

Every birthday, Christmas, ect ... I always asked for ponies.

I remember going to the toy store, and seeing a WALL of different ponies to choose from, it would take me a very long time to carefully select the next pony to join my collection. That's why "repeat ponies" make me sad!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
When we lived on Andrews, I used to load up my ponies in a wagon and go down the street to a friend's house to play. My best friend lived next door, and one time her hair got caught up in my Twirler's tail. My friend went home with a bit of her hair trimmed off that day...I'm sure she was not the only casualty of the Dance N Prance ponies  :drunk:

My brother used to play ponies with me as well...our Ninja Turtles rode into battle on them more than once...

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
I think I have told most of my pony stories several times before :) But the one most vivid was when I got Masquerade. I was in Primary 1 at school and my mum and dad were moving which meant I was leaving all my friends and having to go to a brand new school. This was pretty scary for a 5 year old as you can imagine. So because I was a good girl, my mum took me into the town and to the Woolworths store where I was allowed to stand in front of the "wall of pony" and pick a pony. I choose Masquerade. I still remember hugging her to me as I walked out that store. Totally made moving worth it to get an extra pony! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »
Some favorite G1 memories:

- Getting introduced to MLP when I saw the first special on TV in September (I think) 1984.
- First pony: Cotton Candy, Christmas 1984 (30 years together!)
- I was so in love with the early commercials (still am) that I remembered the lyrics after 20+ years and contributed some of them to the Dream Valley website.
- I remember seeing the Show Stable commercial on TV where the little girl jumps Lemon Drop over the pole jump and I remember the Rainbow Ponies commercial where all the ponies were in a basket together--looked like heaven to me!
- I *LOVED* the backcard art and stared at Cotton Candy's backcard for hours.
- I remember when I first saw the Baby Ponies commercial in 1985 and flipped out b/c BABY COTTON CANDY! I did get to go to the store and buy her.
- I had some bad luck: went to the toy store to buy Lullabye Nursery and it wasn't there:(
- My favorites changed with time but my top favorites were probably the classics: CC and Blossom.
- At the time I thought the Year 3 Rainbow Ponies were quite ugly, especially Pinwheel.
- For Year 3 I was most in love with Lickety-Split (got her), Sparkler (nope!), and the Baby Ponies.
- I loved Sundance but did not like the Megan toy.
- Year 4 - I told a friend the So-Soft Ponies looked like bathroom toys. I did get a few of them.
- I wasn't crazy about the Beddy-Bye Eyes but tolerated them b/c babies and their accessories are always fun.
- I cut off Baby Cotton Candy's forelock and was surprised that the hair holes were still there.
- Once when washing my ponies I saw that Glory's glitter symbol was washing off and at that moment I became a pony conservationist and was much more careful with my ponies.
- I warned a friend with Heart Throb not to brush her hair when wet.
- I desperately wanted Bubbles and Seashell but never even saw them in person/the store as a child.
- I didn't like MLP as much from Year 5 on, although in Year 5 I did love Crumpet and the FT Babies. I thought the ponies were getting too "busy."
- By 1988-89 I was only collecting Years 1-3, then I ended up only collecting Year 2.
- I sold or gave away all my ponies except Cotton Candy by the end of 1994:(
- I started collecting again in 1998 when I found Seashell at a rummage sale! Again, only Year 2 for me:)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal