collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Server and forum creation  (Read 499 times)

SaphTalon

• Trade Count: (0)
Server and forum creation
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »
I have posted this a long while back. Perhaps a year and a half.

Anyway I have learned a lot with programming and linux. I am still studying basics with Terminal command line but getting there slowly. I know how the basics of how an operating system works but I just barely scratched the surface.

I am really curious about the process of building a forum. I could never find a forum for Cello players so I think I might make one in the near future for musicians in general.

My question is this How did you decide on the language that MLParena was going to be written in and did you know in the beginning exactly that it was going to be for My little pony?

If the story of MLParena is written somewhere on here could you post a link?

I understand if you don't want to tell your story of the technical side. You can tell me how you met the first Admins and mods if you want. Although I would like to hear the story if your willing. Please :happy:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Server and forum creation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »
Ummmm..... No answers here sorry. Maybe someone else has them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
Going to wait for someone with more experience in the matter to take this one.  :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
I think that this forum is set up using an installer. It's just SimpleMachines and that's pretty user-friendly.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
The Arena was built as a MLP forum right from the start (it was a replacement/alternative for other degrading forums), originally built on a pre-made platform called DragonflyCMS. The new one is built on the Simple Machines/SMF platform.

There are also a lot of simple ones (like Invisionfree) where you just name the forum, set up the boards, and the background coding stuff it taken care of. But you can still customize is with your own colours and images.

All of our mods and admin have been brought up from the community, originally joining as just regular members. Some were picked and invited directly to be on staff, and others answered public calls for mods and were picked from the applicants.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:37:16 AM »
What Kiwi said.

I believe BM has a bit of a post going on how the Arena started in the birthday forum.  No 'creation' talk but there is a bit of a story^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SaphTalon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks Papaya. I should look into those. I think it is cool to do coding and programming. I think they give you a lot more freedom to create as apposed to coding that is already compiled and can't be changed. I think you got great mods and Admins here. Just thought I would make a compliment. I hope my forum goes as well as yours. I have plenty of time to learn since I am waiting to get a good enough career to support a forum without having to have advertisements. 

I started with integrated circuitry from MeLabs. I eventually got into computers and started to study how a computer worked. Needless to say my mother is looking into a college that is in Mexico for me. I work at a sheltered workshop now and have been for about four years now. I am so ready to take college serous now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal