collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Funny" food offer (warning, may offend!)  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: "Funny" food offer (warning, may offend!)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

I know my parents my have eaten cat for their wedding reception it is a traditional wedding dish though illegal in the states. 

thank goodness !!!!!!!  :shocked:

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
Well, I think the main issue is that although they knew you didn't eat meat, they still offered it to you, which wasn't very nice of them. Other than that, I don't see the big deal - it's a cultural thing. We eat rabbit where I come from, so I don't find it weird at all that they eat dog.

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
I could never bring myself to eat dog, but I don't have a problem with other cultures eating them.

they are sentient beings - just like pigs, cows, fish, chicken, etc.  aside from the fact that we keep them in our homes, they are no different than any other animal we might find on our plate.  I keep fish as pets, and I enjoy seafood.

somewhere, there was a point made.  my head cold is making me a little unable to complete a whole thought.
looking into a re-branding.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
I could never bring myself to eat dog, but I don't have a problem with other cultures eating them.

they are sentient beings - just like pigs, cows, fish, chicken, etc.  aside from the fact that we keep them in our homes, they are no different than any other animal we might find on our plate.  I keep fish as pets, and I enjoy seafood.

somewhere, there was a point made.  my head cold is making me a little unable to complete a whole thought.

I actually studied the phenomenon.  People put animals into assigned categories.  They find it hard to move them.  Dog=pet  therefore dog cannot be food.  Cows are food, so it is difficult to put that into pet.  It's very interesting.  I'd actually like to do a PhD on it.  Because it is possible to move things.  Whales were changed from food to something else.  It would be nice to do that with endangered fish, because no one seems to care about them very much.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

I actually studied the phenomenon.  People put animals into assigned categories.  They find it hard to move them.  Dog=pet  therefore dog cannot be food.  Cows are food, so it is difficult to put that into pet.  It's very interesting.  I'd actually like to do a PhD on it.  Because it is possible to move things.  Whales were changed from food to something else.  It would be nice to do that with endangered fish, because no one seems to care about them very much.

Now THAT is interesting ! Never thought about it ! :D

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
On one hand, people have to eat. If you are going to eat meat, however, the animal should be bred for purpose in ethical conditions. Not dragged of the street, skinned alive and then hung for hours :(

I've been veggie for a long time - nearly 30 years - yet I happily feed fresh meat to my dogs; I know the animal has been treated with respect and in the best of conditions. But i would have been pretty horrified if someone had offered me dog meat :(

I also don't see how people can eat meat if the last thing that animal knew was pain and suffering - that energy is still in the meat, why would you want to eat that sort of energy?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
which is why I would never step foot in China or any other country that eats stuff like this...
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
I am not saying this in any way to be racist or discriminative because I am not like that, so please don't get me wrong. But IMO, there is a lot of stuff wrong with China's meat market.

I cannot condemn the eating of dog meat. I eat cows, pigs, chickens, etc. They are all living beings with emotions and they want to live. But what I DO have an issue with is their method of prepping them..... it consists of prolonged torture. And I won't even get started on the fur trade. :(

And I know it's definitely a cultural thing, but I could never eat dog. I have a Chihuahua and I could never imagine eating a small dog (or a big one either, lol). But yes, that's the culture I live in. But I bet if I lived in a place where cattle or pigs were common pets, I'd never be able to eat them either. I agree with the afformentioned statement about people lumping animals into categories.

I have nothing against China. I've love to visit that country someday and get to know the other aspects of their culture and see what the people are like. Plus, I have a serious adoration for oriental men. There is a tall Chinese man at work with the cutest accent that I have a little crush on. *sigh* I just wish they could change their views on the treatment of animals.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
They have a totally different view from us, animals are objects to most people here, even to the kids. Be it a pet (dog, rabbit, hamster, ...) or fish, frog, turtle, chicken in the supermarkets. The way some kids treat their pets is just heartbreaking. On this topic, they need to learn a lot. But that will take time I think.

As for offering me that, his mum just meant it in a nice way. They give me all kinds of food, all the time, and always want me to eat everything, and a lot of. It wasn't meant in an offensive way at all.

And yes, Xevee, here in Guangdong, they literally eat everything.  :lol:

Xaniss

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
And yes, Xevee, here in Guangdong, they literally eat everything.  :lol:

:lol:  I once saw a TV program (can't remember what) and the Chinese tour guide gave the saying, 'Everything on the ground, not car: we eat. Everything in sky, not plane: we eat'  and this topic just reminds me of the Jet Li movie 'Once Upon a Time in China' ... Part 2 .. not sure, but Jet's character is offered 'fragrant meat' which they later discover is dog and they are most shocked at.

I realise people find this topic unsettling, but it is part of the Chinese culture - much like in Australian emu, kangaroo and crocodile can be found on the menu ... on Australia Day (2011), a news reporter stated 'It wouldn’t be Australia Day, if we didn’t eat our National Emblem'  :huh:

Offline tornadoe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »
I find all types of meat an insult and would be deeply offended if some one offered it to me. All animals are equal to us  in my opinion. I know not a lot of people agree with my view but that is what I believe
Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen cloesly..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal