collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to do curls?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
How to do curls?
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
Hiii~

Just wondering: what do you use to style ponies hair with loose curls and tight curls (like a candy cane effect, you know?). I really want to give some curls to some ponies that I have and I was just wondering how you guys did it :) I do have an idea, but I really would like to hear your experiences~

Thanks in advance ! :D

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How to do curls?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
Wooden chopsticks, dreadlock elastics, facial tissue, a flea comb (or other fine toothed comb), conditioner, and lots of patience. X3  Some people like to use straws and bobby pins.  Anything pencil shaped will generally do, simply wrap damp hair starting at the top, fasten off the end and let dry.

There are some tutorials hanging around, though I don't think they've made the move from the old Arena yet?
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Wooden chopsticks, dreadlock elastics, facial tissue, a flea comb (or other fine toothed comb), conditioner, and lots of patience. X3  Some people like to use straws and bobby pins.  Anything pencil shaped will generally do, simply wrap damp hair starting at the top, fasten off the end and let dry.

There are some tutorials hanging around, though I don't think they've made the move from the old Arena yet?

Nop, I haven't seen any of those here yet so far, but I did take a look at some tutorials on the web, so yes. Now I'm pretty sure of everything, thanksss !! :D

Offline yum-yum

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Yummie!
    • View Profile
    • ThePonyBusiness
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
I'd love to write a tutorial how to (re)-curl, but I don't have the time right now :(

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
I use perm rods, they come in different sizes, large ones for loose curls, small for tighter curls.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
There was a wonderful tutorial for straw curls on the old Arena:

http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=88983/highlight=straw+curls.html

Good luck!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
That tutorial is here, in the customs section, under custom information, tutorials and where to buy!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:52:52 AM »
I love the Hasbro Guide to it that came with the Candy Canes....lol....it such an 80s flash back but thats what I use....although it is pretty much the same as the tutorial here. The curls dont last as long but I like it!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
That tutorial is here, in the customs section, under custom information, tutorials and where to buy!

Oh ! I totally missed it, thanks ! :D

Also, thank you everyone ! I'll give it a shot soon enough :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
I use perm rods and perm papers. They makes several sizes of perm rods for the tighter or looser curl.  I have all sizes at home.  I wet the hair down after its been conditioned and cleaned and roll it up and leave it a couple of days and presto..perfect curls.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
I do read that everyone lets the hair dry by itself. Personally, I had always washed the hair with shampoo, conditioner and then dried the hair with a hairdryer. I never encountered any problems so far and I've been doing it to my ponies since I am a child, but is there any problem in doing it?

Thanks everyone, keep suggestions coming~ :D

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
I do read that everyone lets the hair dry by itself. Personally, I had always washed the hair with shampoo, conditioner and then dried the hair with a hairdryer. I never encountered any problems so far and I've been doing it to my ponies since I am a child, but is there any problem in doing it?

The only potential problem I can think of is the hair dryer being too hot and melting the hair, but this is unlikely to happen :) Just make sure you keep the hair dryer far enough away from the pony and move it around a lot so you're not concentrating too much heat in one place, the same as you would if you were drying your own hair.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
Ive got a tutorial on my page, its in german (sadly) but you can pretty good see how to do it with the pics :)
http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/tutorial_recurling.htm

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »

The only potential problem I can think of is the hair dryer being too hot and melting the hair, but this is unlikely to happen :) Just make sure you keep the hair dryer far enough away from the pony and move it around a lot so you're not concentrating too much heat in one place, the same as you would if you were drying your own hair.

Oh, so that's the only problem... Okay, I thought there was a bigger problem on that xD Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, my hairdryer isn't very strong and I always keep it far away enough :) I love how the hair looks afterwards on the ponies ! So shiny and silky~

Ive got a tutorial on my page, its in german (sadly) but you can pretty good see how to do it with the pics :)
http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/tutorial_recurling.htm

Thanks for the tutorial ! It is something very simple indeed, I shall try it one of these days and see what happens haha :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal