collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 42503 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2023, 12:51:21 PM »
.. why is he wearing a hoodie on the beach. Like, plz.

Clawdeen's look is very odd, the colours just don't seem to suit her very well at all? That might change if we get a better photograph but I'm not feeling it.

I don't get why the dolls aren't in actual swimsuits, I think Clawdeen's outfit IS one with pants on top, but why doesn't it show the full suit? Seems weird for a BEACH line of all things.

The lines seem pretty thin on characters, like they're sticking with Clawdeen and Lala and leaving out Frankie or keeping her slot rotating between her, Cleo or 'Goona. I didn't feel it was as heavy with that with G1, even if the marketing made it seem that the core ghouls could be whittled down to removing Ghoula, then Lagoona, then Cleo, then Clawdeen, then a showdown between Draculara or Frankie.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 17/03 MattelCollector Fang Club
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2023, 06:14:24 AM »
I really want to see Venus!

Here she is! Well, her concept art at least haha :heart:

I finally found my grail! :heart:

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2023, 11:13:42 AM »
Oh! I think she looks amazing!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2023, 10:07:34 AM »
Ooooh, I love her outfit. I hope we get a proper photo soon, my interest is definitely piqued now <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2023, 05:12:36 AM »
Can we be sure that Venus is legit? She looks very overdesigned and detailed. Way too intricate for this gen. I realize that concepts get toned down in the production process to save money, but is this even from a legitimate source?

If that's from a real Mattel designer I wonder how they are allowed to share prototypes :lookround:

Could it be that we are getting Venus earlier than expected?

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2023, 08:26:25 AM »
This person I follow on IG shared images from a presentation at PowerCon. It’s cool to see the pets that never were.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2023, 01:34:41 PM »
It looks like that Catty design was later mostly recycled for the Fierce Rockers one, which I wasn't a fan of as it had the late G1 problem of far too much tacky plastic. It seems that either Catty is done SUPER right or she's very miss for me, this is on the miss side.

As far as I remember, the squid pet was called Aye-Aye and appeared in the movie, I don't think Kyomi had a pet in the movie and Porter absolutely didn't.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2023, 11:37:43 AM »
Omg I didn't know there were more pets that never went into full production!! I remember Garrett posted some others on his Instagram a while ago, IIRC River Styxx was meant to have a pet bird originally?

Garrett's definitely posted that Catty/Casta 2-pack image before - yeah, it's the proto for Fierce Rockers. Mattel requested Casta be swapped out for Toralei, can't remember if he explained why or not off the top of my head... I assume because she was popular. But that's why Tora was in that set despite being established as a bad singer and thus not making sense for a popstar 2-pack (Garrett even pointed that out himself).
personally I love that set as it is (and was never a huge fan of Casta), so I'm not going to complain about Mattel vetoing the original design :p but it is a shame they weren't able to recycle this Casta design for a later release.

The pets are so CUTE though!! I'm so sad they phased the pets out as G1 progressed :(

Online brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2023, 01:24:37 PM »
The pets!!! Awwww!

I'm embarrassed to say that even though I love all the new doll designs, I have an incredible weak spot for Draculaura and so far she's the only one I've succumbed to.  Goreganizer is still my favorite.  The others are just not measuring up.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
I love your Draculaura collex, @brightberry!

Where did you get that lavender dress?! It’s so cute on her.

You should get an Abbey! *nudge nudge*  :P
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Online brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2023, 10:10:38 AM »
thank you!  ^.^

I keep seeing Abbey and love her! But I end up saying ''better not" as that would open the door for all of them.   :|

Oh and the dress is from Ropitas Kawaii on Etsy.  I used to buy pullip clothes from her.  It cost as much as the doll so I hope these girls are all willing to share...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 10:12:55 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2023, 05:29:13 PM »
The pets!!! Awwww!

I'm embarrassed to say that even though I love all the new doll designs, I have an incredible weak spot for Draculaura and so far she's the only one I've succumbed to.  Goreganizer is still my favorite.  The others are just not measuring up.

I too have amassed a collection of Laura cause she's just so perfect. Most of my MH girls I have for halloween decor I'm trying to hold myself til sept first to pull out everything
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2023, 03:28:52 AM »
The only Draculaura I really like so far is the one that comes with yet another giant plastic box ^^;
She's so overpriced because of that but I love her E-girl face-up and 90s strappy dress over shirt with combat boots combo. Very simple yet it works so well. I wonder whether she'll ever be affordable because she seems to be everybody's favorite.

The other Lauras I have to say look too over the top for me. She always has one design element too many, imo. A problem a lot of G3s have (they are print-happier than G1 and G1 already had many overdesigned looks).

I also hate how they made her half Asian but never commit to that part of her. The G1 Japanese exchange student Laura was going all in with the cherry blossoms and paper art but G3 Laura is just a weird Ita most of the time. I'm not saying she needs to look stereotypical like Jinafire but they should really do more with these new heritages they have given the characters.
Put her in a true Lolita inspired outfit like they did with G1. Put her in some bloomers, give her longer skirts because her hips are so wide these minis she's in ride up and expose her butt quite a lot. She's supposed to be Thai, I think? Then take inspiration from that culture and put her in a nice dress for one.

The new beach Draculaura looks very cute with the sunhat:
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3176-monster-high-scare-adice-island-dolls-draculaura-clawdeen-wolf-frankie-stein-lagoona-blue-and-heath-burns.html
She should have had a hat from the beginning since they also made her a witch. Frankie also looks cute in a hat.
I have always loved the swimlines so maybe I am biased. Heath truly is the worst. I don't like how they are releasing new characters in their sig looks in random lines now. Heath looks like he is wearing a pyjama and they should have at least given him a top to swap. Maybe something cropped or mesh to tie in with the beach looks more.

For all that "diversity" they claim to champion, the guy dolls are still super bland and less fashionable than the girls. What they did to Clawd gave me late G1 slimbox vibes.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2023, 01:39:46 AM »
I've looked at these a lot of times in the stores but I just can't get excited about any of them.

True, I'm still annoyed about what they've done with Ghoulia, but it's more than that.

The dolls just don't seem as well crafted to me as the original ones. It's something to do with the colour density of the plastic. The new ones look cheaper somehow. I don't know how to explain it but that's how they make me feel.

I don't like Draculaura's fringe, either. It bothers me with its pointiness.

I remember admiring MH back when it came out, even though it took me a long time to crack and actually buy one. But these just don't have the same vibe. I wonder why...

I do really like the concept behind Frankie in G3, but that's about it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
I feel the same... I like them a lot, but they're just not the same as G1, somehow. I'll pick one up and go "Oh, this is nice, I'll have to get it when I've got some spare cash" and then put it back on the shelf... with G1 it was more "OMG I need her right now!!" you know? I like G3 in general, but I'm not getting excited about it like I did with G1 back in the day.

'Course, it doesn't help that the distribution over here has been so terrible thus far. -_-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal