collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Next on MLP Talk - When collecting becomes a burden 3/2/2015  (Read 1721 times)

Offline pandorarose3

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Next on MLP Talk - When collecting becomes a burden 3/2/2015
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
Our next topic we want some help from the community at large, give us some reasons and some solutions to this topic.  Please note this show might be pushed back if I am still not 100%, its been a rough week medically for me and trying to get back into the groove is hard.  Thank you to everyone whom helps.

Now on to the announcement, which I am sorry I started to get lax in posting.

We will explore the topic of when does collecting become a burden rather than a joy.  A post on Facebook a few weeks ago brought this topic to mind.  A person was becoming burdened by collecting all of the ponys and that it was becoming a financial and space burden to her.  We will discuss this type and other types on MLP Talk we get serious.

Also join us for our wacky conversations.
Please note that we maybe late in starting our topic due to issues beyond our control.  If co-hosts are not yet at their computers or we get distracted please bare with us.  We are not always perfect.  PONY HUGS.
Also if we continue to be off topic we will change the topic of the show to reflect that.  Also we don't take random callers due to the issues we have had with random people in the chat rooms.  We keep this a family friendly show and want to keep it that way.

Air Date: 3/2/2015
Time:   8pm eastern standard time(see the link below for time conversion, use America New York for the first time slot on there)
Show  URL: My Little Pony Talk]http://www.blogtalkradio.com/my-little-pony-talk]My Little Pony Talk

Pony Hugs,

PandoraRose
NichiTsukinoko
SummerXBlade
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:17:25 PM by pandorarose3 »
Find the Original My Little Pony Talk Show only on blogtalkradio.com http://www.blogtalkradio.com/My-Little-Pony-Talk  We are live every Monday night at 8pm Eastern time.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Next on MLP Talk - When collecting becomes a burden 3/2/2015
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather. I hope you start feeling better! :)

Collecting issues, huh? Hmm.

Well, it helps to focus on just one line. Space-wise, unless you have a mansion or a few extra rooms you don't use for much, collecting more than one line can be difficult - especially where the play sets are concerned! I tried it for awhile with the G3 and G1 lines, and finally cried uncle. My collection is being parred down to mostly G1s, with a small scattering of G3s that I like the most. Then again, I had trouble keeping up with all the new releases for the G3s! I don't have that problem with the G1s. ;)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:25 PM »
Hi there! Great topic choice. :)

I'm new to ponies and posted seeking advice about starting to collect a few weeks ago. (I originally joined to talk about dolls.) Preventing burn out is actually one of the topics that came up in our conversation on that thread, since I had mentioned I ran a young adult book blog for three years and ultimately closed that because it was starting to turn reading into a task. (Something I could not permit as a writer!)

While book blogging and MLP are very different things, I think that the topic of burn out in pretty much any hobby does have a few root causes. I will do my best to focus these toward ponies for your convenience. :)

1. Avoid Gotta Catch 'Em All Syndrome

Trying to get every single release of every single gen on a worldwide basis seems like a recipe for headaches and stress. One of the biggest and most important pieces of advice that I was given was to collect what I love. As someone at a starting point that just makes sense. But even for someone who is at a much further point than me I think this should be the core of collecting. If you don't love the pony, why have it? The point of a collection should be to look at it / play with it / spend time with it / etc. and enjoy every little bit of it.

2. Decide what you want from your collection and reassess this if you find yourself getting stressed or anxious.

The core of my collecting, currently, is G4 since I got into MLP from watching Friendship is Magic. However, I've discovered that I love certain ponies from each of the different generations. I'm not interested in collecting "every G1", but I would like Crumpet since I'm an avid tea drinker, Minty since she was my one remembered childhood pony, Baby Paws because I had a dog that looked like his symbol who passed away last year and the pink Sweet Talkin' Pony because Chatterbox was my nickname as a kid, and my bf and I met long distance (we like to think that the two people are like that; silly I know.)

My point is: if space and finances are a concern, pick your battles (err, ponies) wisely. I can't speak for everyone, but my philosophy is that I would rather have a small collection with ponies I passionately love then a large one filled with random ponies I have no connection to.

3. Know what skills you do / don't possess in relation to ponies.

I do not have amazing restorative skills. I know this. May or may not acquire these as time goes on. For now, though, this means that if I am buying older ponies, I do what I can to make sure they're going to come to me in a form that I will find presentable since I'm currently not capable of changing it. I'd rather get one nice pony that I really want and whom I can immediately enjoy, rather than 7 ponies I'm not really into who need work that I currently cannot do.

4. Ask Yourself WHY It's Not Fun Anymore

Be honest with yourself... why isn't the pony thing working for you anymore? (Stressing you / becoming too hard / etc.) Do you have bills or a family emergency that simply -needs- to come first. Is there another hobby or collection that has stolen your heart? Do your friends and loved ones view your hobby negatively and has that impacted your enjoyment? Are you spending too much energy lusting over a grail pony you cannot currently obtain and not enjoying the ponies you have? I'm not gonna go into solutions and strategies for all of these (we'd be here all day) but getting to the heart of the matter is the first and most crucial step to figuring out what you need to find a solution -for-.

5. Re-connect with your ponies / whatever made you start to love collecting in the first place.

Make a cup of tea and grab a snack. Sit at a table and relax for a few minutes. Think about what brought you to ponies to begin with. What made it fun for you in the first place? One of the most powerful ways to deal with any sort of burn out is to look at the then / now mentality and see if it can point out where things have gone off kilter.

6. Take a break if you need to.

Whether you need to back off from spending, store your ponies for a while or just put your heart into another hobby when online, sometimes some space is what is needed to help us clear our heads and reassess our priorities. The ponies will be ready and waiting when you come back. :)

We live in a crazy, fast moving world that can really let us get overwhelmed easily if we let it. It can be hard to separate our hobbies and passions from family obligations, job requirements, etc. The desire to be "the best", to "have more" and to "drive harder" are constant and unrelenting in many aspects of life. It's no wonder that people mistakenly let those kinds of pressure slip into their hobbies--if we're giving 110% to the things we -have- to give it to, how much do we really want to give to the things we actually -want- to do? But of course, that kind of energy corrodes over time and can wear out passion and joy if we are not careful with it. The vast majority of us got here because we love ponies and find collecting them fun. If something is blocking someone from saying "Yes!" to the question of whether collecting them is fun, that tells me they've got something blocking them and they need to figure out what it is.

I hope this is helpful. Have a great day! :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Beckie-Ann

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »
I think the main (mane) burdens with collecting are always involving playsets. When I first found PE I was so happy, until I realized I couldn't display it normally on a shelf. I found it a second time thinking I'd have more room, but to no avail. Focusing on mainly ponies has helped me control my collection. Another thing is to keep the doubles moving, if I get lazy and don't sell extras it becomes near-hoarding. Maintaining a collection is part of it, not just buying and storing.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »
Oh gosh I am at the stage right now were I love my ponies but I don't have a big want for anymore. I have them in curio cabinets right now but cant see them all due to having to pack them in. I feel bad when I look at them and don't enjoy them. Sometimes I think about selling them but then I know I would kick myself later. So I have kind of come to a slow down right now. Not a total stop but a very good slow down. That is helping me right now.

And another reason that I have stopped buying so much is that I kind of feel bad when I spend that much money on a toy.  I think to myself...... I could be saving all this money on things that need to be fixed or replaced. Like I need to have my ducks cleaned out in my house. I am almost done with my basement but still need to buy the paint and flooring. I think those are more important right now in my life. 

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:55 AM »

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

(points to personal quote in avatar)

Too bad I can't just stick my collection in an easily portable Poke-ball, though; it would make moving a lot easier.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:35:19 AM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
Great advice!

Post Merge: February 27, 2015, 07:28:27 AM

Hi there! Great topic choice. :)

I'm new to ponies and posted seeking advice about starting to collect a few weeks ago. (I originally joined to talk about dolls.) Preventing burn out is actually one of the topics that came up in our conversation on that thread, since I had mentioned I ran a young adult book blog for three years and ultimately closed that because it was starting to turn reading into a task. (Something I could not permit as a writer!)

While book blogging and MLP are very different things, I think that the topic of burn out in pretty much any hobby does have a few root causes. I will do my best to focus these toward ponies for your convenience. :)

Trying to get every single release of every single gen on a worldwide basis seems like a recipe for headaches and stress. One of the biggest and most important pieces of advice that I was given was to collect what I love. As someone at a starting point that just makes sense. But even for someone who is at a much further point than me I think this should be the core of collecting. If you don't love the pony, why have it? The point of a collection should be to look at it / play with it / spend time with it / etc. and enjoy every little bit of it.

2. Decide what you want from your collection and reassess this if you find yourself getting stressed or anxious.

The core of my collecting, currently, is G4 since I got into MLP from watching Friendship is Magic. However, I've discovered that I love certain ponies from each of the different generations. I'm not interested in collecting "every G1", but I would like Crumpet since I'm an avid tea drinker, Minty since she was my one remembered childhood pony, Baby Paws because I had a dog that looked like his symbol who passed away last year and the pink Sweet Talkin' Pony because Chatterbox was my nickname as a kid, and my bf and I met long distance (we like to think that the two people are like that; silly I know.)

My point is: if space and finances are a concern, pick your battles (err, ponies) wisely. I can't speak for everyone, but my philosophy is that I would rather have a small collection with ponies I passionately love then a large one filled with random ponies I have no connection to.

3. Know what skills you do / don't possess in relation to ponies.

I do not have amazing restorative skills. I know this. May or may not acquire these as time goes on. For now, though, this means that if I am buying older ponies, I do what I can to make sure they're going to come to me in a form that I will find presentable since I'm currently not capable of changing it. I'd rather get one nice pony that I really want and whom I can immediately enjoy, rather than 7 ponies I'm not really into who need work that I currently cannot do.

4. Ask Yourself WHY It's Not Fun Anymore

Be honest with yourself... why isn't the pony thing working for you anymore? (Stressing you / becoming too hard / etc.) Do you have bills or a family emergency that simply -needs- to come first. Is there another hobby or collection that has stolen your heart? Do your friends and loved ones view your hobby negatively and has that impacted your enjoyment? Are you spending too much energy lusting over a grail pony you cannot currently obtain and not enjoying the ponies you have? I'm not gonna go into solutions and strategies for all of these (we'd be here all day) but getting to the heart of the matter is the first and most crucial step to figuring out what you need to find a solution -for-.

5. Re-connect with your ponies / whatever made you start to love collecting in the first place.

Make a cup of tea and grab a snack. Sit at a table and relax for a few minutes. Think about what brought you to ponies to begin with. What made it fun for you in the first place? One of the most powerful ways to deal with any sort of burn out is to look at the then / now mentality and see if it can point out where things have gone off kilter.

6. Take a break if you need to.

Whether you need to back off from spending, store your ponies for a while or just put your heart into another hobby when online, sometimes some space is what is needed to help us clear our heads and reassess our priorities. The ponies will be ready and waiting when you come back. :)

We live in a crazy, fast moving world that can really let us get overwhelmed easily if we let it. It can be hard to separate our hobbies and passions from family obligations, job requirements, etc. The desire to be "the best", to "have more" and to "drive harder" are constant and unrelenting in many aspects of life. It's no wonder that people mistakenly let those kinds of pressure slip into their hobbies--if we're giving 110% to the things we -have- to give it to, how much do we really want to give to the things we actually -want- to do? But of course, that kind of energy corrodes over time and can wear out passion and joy if we are not careful with it. The vast majority of us got here because we love ponies and find collecting them fun. If something is blocking someone from saying "Yes!" to the question of whether collecting them is fun, that tells me they've got something blocking them and they need to figure out what it is.

I hope this is helpful. Have a great day! :)

Great advice!
:happy:

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
OMG thanks for the idea's guys keep them coming.

As I said before we plan to have this topic on Monday and will edit this post when needed.  With home health walking in and out its been hard to schedule ANYTHING this week.  So cross your fingers pony fans and keep an eye on this post for more information.
Find the Original My Little Pony Talk Show only on blogtalkradio.com http://www.blogtalkradio.com/My-Little-Pony-Talk  We are live every Monday night at 8pm Eastern time.

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
Hello everyone! Nichi Tsukinoko here. Many of you may not know, but I'm one of the co-hosts of MLP Talk. I just wanted to ask, if we mention your ideas on the air, How many would like to be mentioned by their user name and how many people would prefer to be known as "One user on the arena..."?

If I don't hear back by the time the show starts, I will just call people arena users because I don't want to put people on the spot if they do not want to be. :)

Lady Bastilla, I particularly like your list and would like to use it on the air.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:17:07 PM by NichiTsukinoko »
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
My ponies and pony stuff take up a corner in my room.  I cannot have tall shelves, as much as I'd like to.  I have attic type ceilings where the ceilings are low and slanted.  I think at max I can have shelves which are about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall.  I had a small bookcase and I transferred my pony stuff there instead.  Then, I got another small bookcase for my books and I ended up using that for ponies too.  I do officially have a book case now but it's full and when I get new books I just lay them down in it.  I need a tall bookcase for books too.  :P

I have one bookcase where I put my G4 related stuff and one bookcase for my G3's and G1's.  I'm constantly reorganizing to stop my cat from getting into my ponies on the shelves.  I also reorganize basically for a change of scenery as I sometimes get tired of looking at the same setup all the time.  The floor in that same corner has my Dream Castle, G1, G3, and G4 plushies, a Wysteria Easter Basket where I put pennies in, my G4 card binder--I put all the series into one binder.  I also have a G1 pony carrying case that can fit about 12 ponies.  It was a late birthday and christmas present from my pony pal cutie storm.  He also gave me other random mlp things but it has G1 art all over it and it's pretty neat.  I have some G4 posters one one part of that wall in the corner and a G3 pamplet for the crystal princess castle playset that I also turned into a poster.  I had to put most of the customs I commissioned in my closet for now, because I don't have the room.  I am also running out of room to put my art ponies, my fair ponies, and my comic con ponies.  I keep getting other MLP merchandise and keep having to move them.  I can't fit them onto the G3 section, because I have too many G3's.  Luckily with this line I don't have many brushables.  I got all the McDonald's ponies last year, I have a couple of blind bags, some random Rarity merchandise for my small Rarity army, and I have four funko vinyls soon to be 7 hopefully if I get them for my birthday on sunday.  I recently acquired the G4zillas of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy and I already had Rarity.

I just want one long shelving unit or something along those lines to put all my pony and pony stuff in ones spot.

I'm sort of in the same situation with Monster High. I don't have nearly as many dolls as some people.  Right now I think my doll count is 25 and I have a few misc Monster High related stuff.  I have them all on one of my bureaus and the bureau is full, nearly to the max.  I want more dolls but I just don't have the room.  My parents keep telling me that if we ever move they don't know how I'm packing up all my stuff.  I'm sure totes will suffice.  But, as much as I love Monster High, I sort of wish I kept my collection to maybe 5 dolls max but I went a little crazy.  I have several Draculaura dolls, I think about five, I have two different Abbey dolls, two different Cleo dolls, and I think that's it as far as doubles.  I would like to downsize my Monster High dolls but I think it would be too difficult to decide which ones I want to give up.  Some aren't in stores anymore.  If I could find another place to put them that would be great.

Luckily, since I don't want many G4's at the moment I focused on getting G3's on my want list, which went great for a while but my poor G3's are crammed together and as much as I'd like to get more I don't really have the room.

So, long story short I can see how collecting can be a burden.  I always get nagged at by my parents and they tell me how much money I've wasted on my ponies and monster high dolls.  They don't get it, never have.  They don't collect anything that's why.

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:10:33 PM »
We want to thank everyone whom posted here.  It really helped our show tonight and it was a great help.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
I'm glad that my feedback was able to help. :) As someone who has experienced burnout in a hobby, and who knows how destructive it can be, I will be glad if anything I said can prevent that from happening to someone else.

(Edited to add) -- Hey guys! I listened to the show and really enjoyed it. :) I love the idea of people feeling encouraged to actually show things that they -do- with their ponies. I also love the fact that you guys were talking about the importance that the community has / should have in someone's experience with ponies. When I got into Friendship is Magic one of the first things I did was make sure I remembered my info for the Arena, because despite ponies not being my focus back in 2010 I really liked this community. There are now many MLP communities, but this has remained my favorite--especially since I'm now here for the main topic.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:24:10 PM by ladybastilla »

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
It can be only one allows them selfes to give in to the 'oh my gosh if I don't get it now the price will go up!'

Or the I need blah blah to complete my set of blah.

Or this one is popular so I gotta get it beacuse there arn't enugh to go around.

I go through phases where I find it boring to collect another pony when I have so many, other times I get back into it and thing what the frog was I thinking?! I feel behind taking a brake!!! I could have gotten blah blah insted of new doll! Ahhhhh!

But over all its how you handle life that defines your collecting life.
:accomplished:

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Yes, Lady Bastilla, Thank you again. We hope you get a chance to listen to the show. You can listen directly from blogtalk or you can download the show from iTunes. 

We may continue this topic in future episodes as 2 hours just isn't enough time to really do it justice. 

Just out of curiosity, what other kinds of episodes would you guys like to see? Beyond our reviews of the toys and merchandise?
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:13 AM »
How about something on the importance of budgeting for your collection?  It's along similar lines, and it's not something we talk about a lot, but it's an important subject.

Elf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal