collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Pick some favorite cheeses.

American
47 (4.4%)
Blue
39 (3.6%)
Brie
53 (5%)
Camembert
23 (2.1%)
Cheddar
136 (12.7%)
Colby
25 (2.3%)
Cottage
39 (3.6%)
Edam
9 (0.8%)
Feta
68 (6.4%)
Goat
52 (4.9%)
Gorgonzola
11 (1%)
Gouda
61 (5.7%)
Gruyère
15 (1.4%)
Havarti
29 (2.7%)
Montery Jack
39 (3.6%)
Mozzarella
134 (12.5%)
Muenster
29 (2.7%)
Parmigiano-Reggiano (Parmesan)
57 (5.3%)
Provolone
45 (4.2%)
Ricotta
36 (3.4%)
Swiss
50 (4.7%)
Other (specify in a post)
46 (4.3%)
Cheese? Eww!
12 (1.1%)
I am unable to have dairy.
15 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 255

Author Topic: I'd like to talk to you about cheeses.  (Read 7585 times)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
I'd like to talk to you about cheeses.
« on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

When I was still consuming cow dairy,  among my favorites were aged cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella. Monterey jack was especially delicious on refried beans. :yummy: Mr. Stomper makes a lasagna to die for, all melty with mozzarella. :drool:

I grew up on processed American cheese as a kid, but I don't know if I can rightly call it "food" now. :P Although it did make for a great grilled-cheese sandwich.

:hatsuharu: I discovered that grain-fed, processed, pasteurized, lactose-laden cow dairy doesn't sit so well in my stomach anymore. I don't know if I'm lactose intolerant as I've never been tested. Maybe just conventional milk is bad for me. I'd be open to trying grass-fed raw milk if it were legal and available. But alas, I simply gave up cow dairy altogether.

However, one day I was brave enough to try goat cheese. It doesn't cause any reaction at all, and I eventually got used to its flavor. Now I treat myself to some goat cheese and goat yogurt now and then. Occasionally, a 2-liter jug of goat milk, but that costs over $8.00 CAD. :faint: So only once in awhile. (That's more than a 4-liter jug of cow milk!)

This list is hardly exhaustive as I know there are a skillion varieties of cheese, and I probably missed some "international cheeses" as well. So if you don't see your favorite on the list, please let us know what you like. :cheese:

Diamond, am I going to have to make a wine poll and a cracker poll next? :lol: :serve:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline QueenNatalie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to talk to you about cheeses.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
Mozzarella is my favorite!!! I also recently tried Pinconning cheese and am quite fond of it. :)

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
Cheese fan here! (Raises hand and nods) I've also tried sheep's cheese on holiday in Turkey, that was nice too, quite mild the one I had. Nom nom nom for cheese :)

Jules x

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:24:10 PM »
I'd love to try sheep cheese. :) I don't know if that's easy to find here, though. Hmmm..
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
I'm not very widely experienced when it comes to cheese, as I usually have it as a complement to other things, like cream cheese with smoked salmon or - the classic! - mature cheddar on a tuna melt (bonus points if it's got red onion and sundried tomatoes in it!!!) I love a good bit of Wensleydale as well, especially when it's got cranberries in it! A few years back, I also came across white stilton with blueberries, which was amazing but alas, I haven't been able to find any since! :drool:

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
Provolone on sandwiches, goat cheese on salads, and any kind of sharp cheddar for snacking! Mmm... cheddar... love finding new varieties! Oh my gosh the cheese we had in France was the best ever. And pricey... but worth it...

I took a picture of a huge slice of cheese we bought at a Fromagerie in downtown Strasbourg... just gotta get it into photobucket!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
I love cheese, although I'm pretty boring in that I really love cheddar and that's mostly what I stick with.  I do also enjoy Brie and Havarti though.

The rest is alright - the only two I really don't care for is mozzarella and cottage cheese.

Oh and French Canadian curd cheese aka "squeaky" cheese (my own nickname for it)- yuck! LOL.  It's a big staple here.  If I ever go somewhere and order poutine, I always have to ask for them NOT to use that kind, haha.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
I don't like it and it makes me sick so NOPE!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
Asiago (nom, nom, nom), smoked gouda, and a goat's milk extra sharp cheddar made by flagship. Love cheese, spent years working with it as my specialty, five was really not enough choices. So thankful I'm not allergic or sensitive to it. However, the dryer, harder cheeses are less likely to irritate, as well as goat or sheep's milk cheeses.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
I love cheese so much. lol. I wish those little Babybel mini snack cheeses weren't so expensive, because I could eat those things all day.

When my mom and I were in New Zealand a couple of years ago, we took the bus from Christchurch out to Akaroa with an old schoolmate of hers, and the bus stopped at a cheese factory on the way back to the city. I sampled an applewood smoked cheddar that was so delicious; I wasn't sure if I could bring it back through customs with me, though, and I didn't want to have to worry about filling out loads of claims or anything on it when I got back to the States, so I didn't buy any.   :blush:

I'm also really excited that chain pizza places now have started that thing where they'll sprinkle things onto the crust for you - so if I'm in the mood for an extra cheesy pizza, sometimes I'll order from Pizza Hut just so I can get extra cheese on a pizza with a parmesan sauce and toasted asiago on the crust.  :yummy:

What's funny to me about it is that when I was very young, I was a bit skeptical of foods I'd never tried before, and had for some reason convinced myself that I didn't like cheese - but I LOVED pizza. I would tell people that I didn't want cheese, I just wanted mine with "that stretchy white stuff" and my parents would silently urge servers to go along with it, at the risk of putting me off one of the few foods I could be counted on to never turn down  :drunk:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
"Sometimes I dream about cheese..."

I love all cheese! But blue is my favorite <3
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
Im lactoseintolerant BUT I can usually get away with a  bit of cheese if its harder, or aged.

I tend to like milder ones though and that can get the best of me.

Typically a good smoked gruyere (it comes in a lactose free variety and 1 small block lasts me over a month!) or provolone or fresh mozzarella (in a ball) are my guilty pleasures..though I will react to the later if I have more then a few small pieces.. 

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
I loooooooove cheese so much just call me a rat!!! I particularly like sharp cheddar... I can't eat Feta but have tried and enjoy most of the more popular kinds.

XD

nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
I love cheese.  In France there are certain styles but then you buy named cheeses made by particular producers.  My favorites this year are Bleu de Brebi and Comte and I also love Dutch cheeses like Gouda or a nice mild, nutty Maasdammer.  My favourite English cheese at the moment is Cornish Cruncher sold in M&S but I know there are loads of great artisan English cheese out there.  I just need to watch the pennies a the moment so staying out of http://www.cambridgecheese.com/

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
Mmm cheese. I love cheese. My five picks were

Sharp Cheddar
Montery Jack
Muenster
Havarti and
Provolone.

Yum.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:39:30 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal