collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Windows 8, ready to throw my laptop out of the window...  (Read 1848 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Windows 8, ready to throw my laptop out of the window...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
I hated Windows 8 so much that I actually went out and bought Windows 7 to install, but my computer refused to install it!!  Then my computer went kablooie (just after the six month warranty expired, naturally) and I bought a new computer, this time making SURE it had Windows 7.

I remember spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to close the crappy built-in Windows 8 apps.  No "close" or X button, really?  I never did figure it out.  I always had to ctrl+alt+del and close them from the program manager.

Then there were the random windows that would pop open if I moved my mouse "wrong".  Urrrrgh.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
I've had windows 8 for over a year now so I am used to it. HATE it though.  >_<
I've never used the stupid apps. Like, not even once. It still ticks me off when I move the cursor and they randomly pop up, and then they remain open until I restart my computer.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »
I've looked at it in the stores, NOPE! I've chatted with our tech team at work and they've said 7 is as far as we are going (they also skipped ME and Vista, thankfully). Just too many problems, and it's not made to be a desktop OS - it's made for mobile devices. It's not the type of OS you sit in front of for 8 hours in an office.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
I hated Windows 8 so much that I actually went out and bought Windows 7 to install, but my computer refused to install it!!  Then my computer went kablooie (just after the six month warranty expired, naturally) and I bought a new computer, this time making SURE it had Windows 7.

I remember spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to close the crappy built-in Windows 8 apps.  No "close" or X button, really?  I never did figure it out.  I always had to ctrl+alt+del and close them from the program manager.

Then there were the random windows that would pop open if I moved my mouse "wrong".  Urrrrgh.

The ESCAPE key.  :D

I wasn't notified about the office switchover when it happened - we came in one morning and everything was migrated and we had Windows 8.  OMG it has been a nightmare ever since...  I have so much hate for this OS that I have sworn to learn Linux and switch over to Android/Linux stuff after my current home devices die off, because I am done with Microsoft.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
I have windows 7 myself, no way I ever want to have a lap top with windows 8.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
My lap top is starting to go out on me and I don't want to get one with the 8. I will drive out of town just to get a lap top with 7. Why do they have to keep changing it!!!!!!!!????

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
I've looked at it in the stores, NOPE! I've chatted with our tech team at work and they've said 7 is as far as we are going (they also skipped ME and Vista, thankfully). Just too many problems, and it's not made to be a desktop OS - it's made for mobile devices. It's not the type of OS you sit in front of for 8 hours in an office.
I was actually pretty satisfied with ME and Vista. Didn't notice a very big change with them.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
BTW, there is a third party program that makes Windows 8 look and act much more like Windows 7.  (You can get the Start button back!)  It's called Classic Shell.

It's free and doesn't install any ads or viruses as far as I know.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 05:08:42 AM »
BTW, there is a third party program that makes Windows 8 look and act much more like Windows 7.  (You can get the Start button back!)  It's called Classic Shell.

Yes,  it was one of the things I found on google and I couldn't get it fast enough. I love having my startbutton act like a startbutton! I've had no problem with it at all.

I do however loath the right side menu that pops up if I move the cursor to the left. I found a way to make it not come up when doing a number of things, but just moving the cursor to the left drives me insane. It happen mostly when I use the touchpad as well..

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »
Have you guys seen the previews of Windows 10??? That looks really good :) Plus it'll be free to upgrade if you have 7 or 8. Glad to know i'm not alone on my 8 hate lol XD

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:46 AM »
Have you guys seen the previews of Windows 10??? That looks really good :) Plus it'll be free to upgrade if you have 7 or 8. Glad to know i'm not alone on my 8 hate lol XD

It'll be a free upgrade from 7?  Awesome!  I knew about the 8 upgrade, but not 7. 
Instagram / Want List

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
I do however loath the right side menu that pops up if I move the cursor to the left. I found a way to make it not come up when doing a number of things, but just moving the cursor to the left drives me insane. It happen mostly when I use the touchpad as well..

Using Windows 8 with a touchpad is pure hell.  WHOOPS, you accidentally opened a side menu.  WHOOPS, you accidentally swiped back to the Metro screen!  WHOOPS, you opened another invisible menu!  Like, I'm already dealing with this tiny touchpad, please do not saddle me with parts of the screen I can't approach or finger swipes I can't do without causing random things to happen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:19:14 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
If I could, I would still have Windows XP on my laptop  :P

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »

When I got my current computer, as soon as I was able to figure out how to get online, I searched and found this program.  Without it, I would find Windows 8 to be completely unusable.  My mom and I were visiting a lady we know and she happened to mention the trouble she'd been having with her new computer - I offered to help and downloaded this for her too which fixed most of the problems she was having.

We've been thinking about getting a new laptop, but the thought of being stuck with Windows 8 on it  :yikes: - we decided to wait.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 03:17:08 AM »
My Surface keeps prompting me to upgrade to Windows 8 and I keep laughing and clicking "no."

:lol:

I know that one.

Post Merge: February 05, 2015, 03:18:01 AM

Using Windows 8 with a touchpad is pure hell.  WHOOPS, you accidentally opened a side menu.  WHOOPS, you accidentally swiped back to the Metro screen!  WHOOPS, you opened another invisible menu!  Like, I'm already dealing with this tiny touchpad, please do not saddle me with parts of the screen I can't approach or finger swipes I can't do without causing random things to happen.

And this one!

:drunk: :enraged: :yikes:

Post Merge: February 05, 2015, 03:19:13 AM

We've been thinking about getting a new laptop, but the thought of being stuck with Windows 8 on it  :yikes: - we decided to wait.

The one good thing about this is the windows 8 - it's on a work laptop. Which I have to give back at the end of next week

:lol:

Then I will hopefully be able to get a new one in due course

Post Merge: February 05, 2015, 03:20:14 AM

The ESCAPE key.  :D

I wasn't notified about the office switchover when it happened - we came in one morning and everything was migrated and we had Windows 8.  OMG it has been a nightmare ever since...  I have so much hate for this OS that I have sworn to learn Linux and switch over to Android/Linux stuff after my current home devices die off, because I am done with Microsoft.

Yes, thanks heavens the basic keyboard shortcuts are still the same, like friendly fossils of the user interface!

Post Merge: February 05, 2015, 03:23:39 AM

Thank you!  If I did have to keep this laptop I think this would be the answer.

One other cool thing - I discovered OPERA as a browser, thanks to good ol' WIKI HOW.
It works well in Windows 8 and uses some clever compression to make your bandwidth go a lot further - made my communal network connection actually usable from nada.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:23:39 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal