collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is a good bank to go with in the US  (Read 6978 times)

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
What is a good bank to go with in the US
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:28 AM »
So, I am moving to San Diego in August, but my husbands job (and pay) actually starts in July, so we're going to need to start up a US bank account to get that pay deposited into before we actually get to the states.  I was just wondering from you guys, what banks do you like and why, and are there any I should avoid like my life depends on it??

Offline DemonicSymphony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What is a good bank to go with in the US
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:33 AM »
Honestly, PLEASE look at credit unions. They are, by far, much better than banks. I live across the country from SD, but look into local credit unions in the area. They'll have websites.

Hopefully some San Diego locals can recommend one.
I rescue unwanted plushies. PM me for details!

Rocketeer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:20 AM »
I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find a credit union that will let you open an account from overseas, though...

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:45 AM »
all i am going to say is beware of chase bank
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
I say beware of all banks, make sure when you look into banks that you find out about all of their fees for everything because banks are really good at taking your money with the fees. I would look into a credit union, not sure if they will work with you overseas, if not you could always go with a bank while you're overseas and then go to a credit union when you get here. I don't really trust any banks with my familys money so we just use cash and money orders (for bills), I'm sure there are good options out there though!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »
Honestly, if you can't go with a credit union, find a small, local bank in the area.  The smaller banks are more willing to help customers and potential customers than the massive ones.  Going with Chase, US Bank, or any other large one gives you access to a wide ATM network and branches all over the USA; but, you're going to get stuck with high fees, terrible customer service, and little help when you need it.

If you were moving to Ohio, I know what bank I wold recommend!  Hopefully, some people in San Diego can provide good references.

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
Credit Union all the way! Avoid Bank of America, Chase and Wells Fargo. They all have too many fees and change policies all the time to charge you more fees!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »
Yeah, just avoid Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and CitiBank.  Finding a regional bank is the way to go.  The bank I'm with (which is in Southern states only) had no problem working with me internationally, either.  Get some recommendations from his work if you can!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
I'll third staying away from Bank of America. I was with them for several years and was never really ever happy with them.

This may be a little different, but I've had lots of people recommend IBC bank to me when I was looking for a new one. You'll need a local bank for physical deposits, but IBC is done all online, so it shouldn't matter if you're in CA, TX, NY, or even overseas right now.

Personally I use a credit union, which looks like they may be available in your area; RBFCU (Randolph brooks federal credit union.) Used to be a military only credit union, but lately they've been expanding their membership restrictions so usually as long as you live in a certain area, work at certain places, etc, they'll let you join. I'd highly recommend them.

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
I agree! Avoid banks if possible! 

I would go with a credit union too, but I'm actually banking at a small local bank here in Texas.

The big banks are a ripoff!!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
From my experience, regional banks can be OK, but I don't know about banks that are in the western part of the country to point you toward any in particular.

Another reason to avoid Bank of America, though, besides a lot of people not liking their service, is that some stores (generally ones that have a more environmental/green perspective, like food co-ops and organic markets) won't accept credit or debit cards from them because they disapprove of Bank of America's business practices. This probably isn't an issue for most people, but it's something to consider if you care about that kind of thing or like to use a debit card at those kinds of stores.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
Yeah I would stay away from big banks. Wells Fargo is by far one of the worse.

I have a local bank. So they don't have 24 hour access but the people are so happy to help you. I would recommend looking into a local bank or a credit union like some of the others have said.

I hope all goes smooth with the move. And I hope you like it here in the states.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
If you were moving to Ohio, I know what bank I wold recommend!  Hopefully, some people in San Diego can provide good references.

Fifth Third?

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
I agree with finding a local credit union instead of a big bank. Lots of people have been abandoning the big banks here because the OWS movement has illuminated some of their shady practices and people are sick of being taken advantage of.

If my parents didn't use Wells Fargo and transfer money into my account on a frequent basis, I would be gone in an instant. Wells Fargo is being sued for ripping off low-income customers and targeting them for subprime mortgages, which is a practice that leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. Many/most of the other big banks did the same thing, to varying degrees of legality. They're also instituting new fees just for keeping your money with them. This, after the American people bailed them out.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:48:23 AM by babystarz »

Offline XOXO

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/#!/toyzombies
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
I agree with finding a credit union as well. US Bank's been good to me for the past five or so years, but that's as long as I have money. The fees, especially when I overdraw, are brutal. As soon as I pay off my credit card with them, I'm planning on switching to the credit union that I've got my car loan through. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal