collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Vets/Vet techs? Cat question.  (Read 2104 times)

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Any Vets/Vet techs? Cat question.
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
I had to have one of my cats put to sleep few months ago.  Ever since then Psycho Kitty has been meowing like she's in heat.  Psycho Kitty hated the other cat, and the only interaction they had was when she was trying to beat her up.  They were seldom even in the same room together.
This constant caterwauling is driving me crazy.  She does in the middle of the night, and off and on all day.  But only when I'm home, my son says when I'm not there she's quiet. She's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping just fine, so I don't think she's sick.   I'm desperate for suggestions!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Any Vets/Vet techs? Cat question.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
Oh...I ll wait for an answer with you...

3 years ago we had 4 cats, up until 6 months ago we had 3, then since November we have had just the one....

Luna is a cat stuck in "kitten-hood" we have never brought a kitten in since getting her for the simple fact she is stuck at about 10 months old...however since we lost Kizzy [who she took nothing to do with] and she is the only cat in the house she is constantly demanding more and more attention....I cant decide if she is genuinely lonely or she just sees this as her time to get complete attention of her humans...

Sounds like a similar thing maybe?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
even if she didn't like the other cat in your eyes, she may have bonded with it in some way.  animals grieve - your kitty may be looking for your recently departed.

consider trying a natural supplement like composure/anxitane to help with her anxiety, or possibly getting her a new friend.

*hugs* sorry for your loss.
looking into a re-branding.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
Is she after your attention?  If she is you might need to change your approach to her?
I don't know about cats but getting our dog to be quiet was a case of standing near her cage, when she made a noise you turn away, if she makes more noise you take a step away.  If she's quiet for 3 second you turn around and say "good girl", if she's still quiet take another step until you reach her cage and then give her a small treat without much fuss.  I only had to do this for about 20 minutes the first morning she was with us and she hasn't been a problem since.
Now cats... not sure if that would have the slightest effect at all!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
I think your cat might be grieving too!  Cats have strange ways of showing emotions.

I'm also so sorry for your loss.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
Your cat is definitely in mourning. My cat did that for a full year after my old cat passed away, and now that I don't live at home she does that all the time when my mom comes home. She probably won't do it for as long as my cat since my cat does have some other emotional issues, but it'll be a while. We also had cats at the shelter I worked at that would do that after they arrived and had to deal with no longer having their owners around. Just try to spend more time with her is the only thing I can honestly suggest. Also you can try a Feliway pheromone wall plug-in that has calming pheromones which generally soothes them quite a bit. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
I hope you can help her the poor thing.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
Cats are as much "pack" animals as dogs are. Even though they fight, they are still bonded in some way that we might not quite understand.

One of my cats Nadia will sometimes do the same thing, especially when she has a toy mouse in her mouth. I pulled her from a shelter, and I told my husband I believe she had a litter of kittens and was taken from them. She does this off and on, calling at random times. Bear in mind I've had her for about 8/9 years and she's fixed - but I know there are times she still misses those kittens.

if you feel it's too much for you to deal with, I agree with looking into the pheromone sprays or Sentry makes a cat collar that has the pheromones/lavender in it. You can also try some of the cat calming tabs that have tryptophan. It will take some time for her to get used to the silence.

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
I'm not sure if she's trying to get my attention,  half the time when she's meowing she's not even on the same floor of the house that I'm on.  But I'm trying to give her extra attention.
I'd get another cat to keep her company but she's so mean it wouldn't be fair to the other animal.  I've got some stuff called Bach's Rescue Remedy, I'll have to give that a try.  It helped a few years ago when she went a little crazy and started tearing up the other cat.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
Vet nursing student here.  I wondered if there have been any changes in routine since the other cat passed away.  For example, are you feeding her at the same time, in the same place?  Cats don't respond to change very well, she is most likely grieving and the best way to help her adjust is to keep her routines exactly the same, give her a bit of extra affection and hopefully she will calm down soon.  I haven't heard of Bach's Rescue Remedy, however a calming pheromone spray may be useful.
If it continues for much longer, a trip to the vet might be in order, especially if your cat is older.  Howling can accompany a number of illnesses common in older cats including renal failure and hyperthyroidism, and it would be good to rule these out just to be on the safe side.  If she has lost weight, please see a vet as soon as possible. 
All the best to you and your kitty. 

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
I'm also a Vet Tech student, and I agree with foalpatrol, It could be something internal, so I would try to get to the vet ASAP! Better safe than sorry, ya know?

And as gross of a question as this might be, how often does your cat hack up hairballs? My cats both start making horrible noises whenever they get them. And my male cat makes the same ugly "herowwwwwww" noise whenever he sees another cat outside. Talk about being territorial...*rolls eyes*

Hope your kee-kee feels better soon!  :)

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
Let's see-no change in routine.  I feed her in the same place, at the same time as before.  No hairballs, both cats  stopped upchucking when I switched them to mainly canned food. I know she needs to go for a check up, I just hate to do it because she getting older & has to be sedated to go to the vet.  Even sedated they have to put a muzzle on her.  When I call her Psycho Kitty I'm not kidding.  Here she is looking innocent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal