collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 66271 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2017, 03:25:14 AM »
I predict when MLP gets rebooted, whenever that may be, the Mane Six will comprise at least half the main characters.

Ever since G2, when it seemed like every other released pony with Ivy, Hasbro has wanted to have a core set of recognizable ponies. Now they finally have that, and there is no way they're going to give it up. 

However it's possible there will be new characters introduced with the old characters (the way G4 had two core G3 ponies (revamped Pinkie and Rainbow Dash), but also new characters.)  Which is what I'm hoping for. ;)

I think so too. You can argue that Hasbro has attempted to establish a group of core characters ever since MLP Tales "Seven Characters" (they probably would have kept pushing these characters if the toyline hadn't ended at that point). But not until G4 did they manage to create a group of characters that truly became recognized by the mainstream, similar to Optimus Prime/Megatron/Bumblebee of Transformers. These are the faces of MLP now, even if we'll probably be seeing different interpretations of them for every generation.

Pretty sure I said that eight pages ago. And about the previous generations and core characters. The difference between 7characters and now is nothing to do with the show or toy, it's to do with the opportunity technology offers now to mainstream those images and ideas. Those simply didn't exist in 1992 when the 7 Characters came into being. In spite of that they then took over all of the MLP media from about late 92 to the end of production. The show even aired in the US even though the ponies didn't happen there. I think relatively speaking that's the same thing. G4's popularity with the mane six has nothing to do with the show or characters so much as the platforms on which those can now be made globally recogniseable. We live in a different world.

This is just one of the many reasons I really dislike when people try to take G4 and look back comparatively, because it ends in an anachronism. Each generation was what it was in its own context. I think we can only really say that G2 didn't make an impression because of its failure in the US.

Spoiler
Going back on topic, I have sympathy for all bronies who are not psycho. The ones who attack old generations or simply don't bother to understand the roots of their fandom, it's time they got a clue. If they are real fans, they'll stick with it regardless of whether it ends or not. As I said before, most of us here have survived the end of multiple generations.

The thing that gets me is that G1 is still here and collected and popular in spite of the fact it's been over more than 20 years. I think that we'll only know what kind of impact G4 really had a generation after it ended. I would hope to see lots of collectors remembering their childhoods and hunting up their favourites, just as we did and just as the generation 3 collectors now are starting to do. If G4 ends and loses the stupid fad fans in the process, so much for the better. So I don't like seeing them suffer per se, but they really need to get over themselves -and it - fast. I saw a few comments when looking for more information on that image and saw someone complaining that Hasbro don't care about the bronies even though they watch the show. The obvious point in that is no, Hasbro don't care about the people who just watch the show. They care about the people who buy their toys, and I guess they're realising now as a company that the bronies might be out there, but a lot of the more manic ones do not buy the toys that the series is there to sell. So no wonder they're wanting to cut ties and redevelop for a new launch (if that is what they are actually doing). They want people to spend money on their products. No point in catering to a group who don't want to do that.

Jem in the 80s had one of the best TV series and it is still a cult classic. But the toy line still failed and the show got cut because of it. Ultimately, whatever the FIM fans want to think, for Hasbro it's not about DVD sales. It's entirely about selling the toys. And if you aren't buying the toys, then the line isn't going to feed your fantasies for the rest of eternity. Life doesn't work like that...

As I said before, I don't mind if G4 ends or if it continues. I am just sick of those six ponies. If Hasbro bring out new characters in the new style, then I'll be interested in looking at them at least. If it's just remashed g4, not interested. Going back to what I said about toys, Mane 6 shelf-sit more than the original characters in a set here in the UK. While it's fact that they tend to put more Pinkie Pies in distribution boxes than any other mane 6 pony, it's mostly Rainbow Dash that shelf-sits here. Hasbro need new ponies to spearhead a new franchise. Keep one or two - maybe AJ as Wardah said, the legacy back to G1 - but let's have something c completely new. Not reworked G1, not G2, G3...or G4. Something new and unique to G5. If indeed that is what is going to happen, rather than what the concept art suggests is actually a G4.5.

Otherwise I agree with everything goddessofpeep said. The thing is, I think the 'shadow' war happened because then we were all a lot younger as G1 people. I think maybe a lot of G4 people are now in that bracket, so it might be angry for a while. But probably not here. We're used to change by now...so whatever is coming,  bring it on. Ultimately, it's the kids that matter most in the equation and always will be. The kids who buy toys.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CastletonSnob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2017, 05:15:52 AM »
How would you rate the leaked episodes?

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »
Ultimately regardless of what happens with the core ponies' designs (I would prefer we have as little resemblance to G3 Core 7 or G4 Mane 6 ponies as possible), my main want is for them to not constantly re-release whoever ends up being in G5's core ponies over and over again. I want the wide variety of ponies there were to buy in G1 through pre-Core 7 G3 again.

Basically my thoughts, I don't mind having a main cast for the TV series but for the toys it feels like they're really not trying to make it interesting. I don't even think kids want the same character in 40 slightly different themes.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »
Ultimately regardless of what happens with the core ponies' designs (I would prefer we have as little resemblance to G3 Core 7 or G4 Mane 6 ponies as possible), my main want is for them to not constantly re-release whoever ends up being in G5's core ponies over and over again. I want the wide variety of ponies there were to buy in G1 through pre-Core 7 G3 again.

Basically my thoughts, I don't mind having a main cast for the TV series but for the toys it feels like they're really not trying to make it interesting. I don't even think kids want the same character in 40 slightly different themes.
Agreed here too.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »
I agree with wishing there was a break between generations and forming a new one. Hasbro needs to let these six ponies go. People are getting tired of them. Your customers like variety Hasbro.

I can also understand the unhappiness between one thing and the next.

I didn't understand where the ponies went between MLP and Friends and Tales, but it was an easy transition for me to make because they were drawn the same.

I was super annoyed when 3.5 and 4 replaced G3s in stores. The styles were so drastically different that to me that it was jarring.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:36:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »
Having been in the pony community when the G2s came out, and having witnessed the whole "Shadow War" thing in person, I find it very interesting that Hasbro seems to have gone towards a G2 style design.  They weren't prepared for the blowback over the G2s back in 1997, and most of that was due to the long legged design. The G4 fanbase is much bigger and even more opinionated than MLP collectors were back in the day.  It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

I was hoping that there would *finally* be a break between generations when G4s ended, but if all the information is correct, it looks like that's not going to happen.  Maybe it should.  A "cooling off" period between generations to give the more rabid G4 fans a chance to calm down might have been a good idea.  Also, having brand new ponies in stores sharing shelf space with last year's unsold peg warmers always sucks a bit of the excitement out any new release.  They're probably trying to keep the old G4 momentum up, but a break to clear out old stock and a fresh start a bit later might have made things a bit easier and more exciting for the fans of the older ponies.

*shrugs*
I've personally witnessed every MLP generation change, so this really doesn't bother me in the slightest.  G4s have definitely had their time and run their course.  I just hope Hasbro goes away from the Core 7/Mane 6 garbage, and back to the huge variety that you could see in the G1s and most of the G3 line.

yes yes all of this.  I honestly don't care what they do as long as it's something kind of new and with less focus on only making toys of certain characters.

Monster High does a lot of dolls of the main characters but they also do a lot of side characters from specials/movies, and sometimes those characters get more releases in the future (Honey Swamp is from one of the movies, but she's had four or so dolls since then!).  so while there's a big focus on a main characters, there's still a lot of selection.

but I don't even care what they look like.  it'll be disappointing if I don't care for the toys, because I want mooore poonniiees, but that saves me...... a lot... of money lol.  but objectively I'm okay with any design they might come up with, it is what it is.  but oh geez I really wish we could have a break between gens.  it would be so much better for the toyline and so much better for a fandom that is very much... set in what they want from the franchise.
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
A bit of a break would be nice, I would like at least a year, but I doubt it. It would be nice though, to have a slow period so I can focus more on buying older ponies, as opposed to constantly getting distracted by new releases. :P

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
I don't care if they have a set of main/core characters, as others have said they seem pretty hellbent on doing that and honestly I can sort of see the logic behind it. I just wish they'd do what Monster High used to do and what LPS did around the beginning of G3 (are they still doing it..? LPS kind of disappeared from shops around here so idk, but I haven't seen the main show chars for LPS in a while.. if that makes sense..) - have a set of "core" characters, but release other characters AS WELL. They managed to do it just fine at the beginning of G4, what happened to change that?!?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
They still do the core base without compromising diversity in Transformers too.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
There's provably never going to be a full break if it can be avoided. MLP is for Hasbro like Barbie is for Mattel. The closest thing to a break would be selling random ponies without any show to back it up like they briefly did for LPS after the cartoon with Blythe ended.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
There's provably never going to be a full break if it can be avoided. MLP is for Hasbro like Barbie is for Mattel. The closest thing to a break would be selling random ponies without any show to back it up like they briefly did for LPS after the cartoon with Blythe ended.

Points to the gaps in G1 to G2 and G2 to G3.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »

Wellllll, technically there wasn't really a gap between G2 and G3 for the Euro countries :P

That aside! I really like the concept art if it's legit.  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:42:12 PM by Moonbreeze »

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »

That was before Hasbro realized they needed evergreen flagship brands. But I do think they should at least have a year break between the shows like they did with LPS. It gets another year out of existing molds and gives fans of the original show time to get used to it being over.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
Yeah, they're probably not taking a break unless MLP becomes too unprofitable.  :lol:

I think it's interesting that MLP used to be a "hundreds of characters, gotta catch 'em all" type of thing, but now it hasn't really been that for a decade (except for blindbags at the moment). Brands like Transformers and LPS (and of course Pokemon) still work by that principle, but what sets them apart is that each character is very different visually. With MLP most look the same except for color schemes and details like horns and wings. There is likely a smaller limit on how many ponies you can get the average consumer to buy.

I think relatively speaking that's the same thing. G4's popularity with the mane six has nothing to do with the show or characters so much as the platforms on which those can now be made globally recogniseable. We live in a different world.

That's a good point too! There are for sure many factors that led to G4 becoming a big success. Also, times change, so you can never know for sure what will be prioritized by the consumers of the future.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
Wow I don't know how I missed such a long thread for so long, haha
I found the images by searching for leaked G5

I couldn't get through all 10 pages, but it looks like the images I found are the right ones.

My opinion
Spoiler
The images are cute. If they are real. They look a lot like OC or fan art you'd find on Deviantart or even here. I swear I've seen that style before...

If it is real- I like it? I wonder though why keep the characters but then change them into different kinds of ponies - ie Fluttershy a unicorn and Twilight an earth pony?  That seems odd to me unless this is a big hoax to troll the bronies... which I'm not ruling out. 

If these are the new characters, than I'm keen to see what the toys will look like... they do look more equine, which seems like a good thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal