collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you do with your 'Cancer Ward'?  (Read 735 times)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
What do you do with your 'Cancer Ward'?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
So... I'm a G1 Purist, with a capital P.  I hate passing up on G1s, I hate seeing G1s that are damaged, and although taken aback by the beauty of some of the customs produced by our artists, I do admit I prefer those that don't use G1s as a base.

To try to prevent Cancer Ward ponies from being a problem, I likely spend more time on them than I do most of my ponies.  They all go through bleach baths and boilings.  Still, no one seems interested in buying Cancer ponies, outside of customs... and it seems a shame to customize a pony that would be perfectly mint, except for cancer.

So... what do you do with your cancer ward?

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do you do with your 'Cancer Ward'?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
I have a Skydancer who is in perfect condition except for cancer spots on her tummy and both symbol sides. It's a shame. Any way, as I only have 1 other G1, she sits on my window still away from the others. She is next to my G4s which I am not too worried about.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
I collect so-called "baity" ponies, including ones with cancer. Right now I think I have less than 5 with cancer, if even that many. One of them is my favorite, so he's not separated at all and chills out with his gal on my dresser at all times. All my other paranoia-inducing ponies (rusty, moldy, etc) get cleaned up and put in with the other sickly ones. Right now they hang out in a drawer, but they used to have a special space on my dresser away from other toys. I should do that again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »
I'm...a little bit uncomfortable with the term 'cancer ward' being used here... =/
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »
You mean age spots?  I don't do anything particularly special with those ponies, they live with everyone else on my shelves and cabinets.  Pony "cancer" doesn't spread, it's not an infection but a break down of the plastic itself.  Isolating ponies with it will not stop it from happening.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »
You mean age spots?  I don't do anything particularly special with those ponies, they live with everyone else on my shelves and cabinets.  Pony "cancer" doesn't spread, it's not an infection but a break down of the plastic itself.  Isolating ponies with it will not stop it from happening.

BabySugarberry's absolutely correct.  :D  Either you want to collect 30 year old vinyl toys with their eventual flaws and breakdown, or you don't.  There is no stopping the process of aging! 

*rubs your cancerous ponies all over your mint ponies*  :-p   
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Sarah Jo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
Pony "cancer" doesn't spread, it's not an infection but a break down of the plastic itself.  Isolating ponies with it will not stop it from happening.

Yep, mine are all neatly stored in boxes together. With rotating ones I switch out that I keep on display. No exclusions !

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
I play doctor with them :D
The great thing about baity ponies is you can play with them less carefully :P
Whenever I don't, they are displayed normally.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
I collect 'baity' G1 ponies! I clean them up as best as I can and keep them out on display alongside their more minty sisters & brothers. The only pony I have separated is a FF Blossom with outrageous pindot. She's missing her tail as well. She hangs out on the other side of the room. One day I'll finish scraping all that mold off and then I'll get a tail for her. I also have a Medley with almost no symbols left and no tail. I really love her though. I've been thinking of adding a different color to her mane and making her a tail.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
Pindot's not mold, it's ingrained dirt!  :3  Your Blossom's just been out in the garden tending too many flowers.  Hot water, soap and patience will generally clear it all off.  Or you could just bow to the inevitable and make her a cute gardener's outfit.  :silly:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
Pindot's not mold, it's ingrained dirt!  :3  Your Blossom's just been out in the garden tending too many flowers.  Hot water, soap and patience will generally clear it all off.  Or you could just bow to the inevitable and make her a cute gardener's outfit.  :silly:

Oh wow, I always thought it was mold, that's why I keep her by herself! I've got about 1/3 of it off but now I know she's not 'contagious' I'll let her back in the herd. Maybe I can find her a pair of overalls to wear until I can get the rest of it off :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »
There probably are mold spores in there, but there's literally mold spores on everything, everywhere.  You can't avoid mold, and it's not the bulk of what you see.  Pindot's been conclusively replicated with a good scrubbing of dirt + sand, so that's generally what's causing the spots.  Certain ponies are far more prone to it than others, due to their plastic makeup being more porous. 

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
I usually keep my worst ponies and sell those a little better. More money for the nicer ones and then I spend less to get ones that aren't perfect and it equals more ponies for me!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Most of my winger army have some degree of flaws.  I prefer them to be that way.  I thoroughly enjoy rescuing ponies and I love them just the way they are.  Taxel, I think you and I are probably the only 2 people who enjoy collecting ponies with age spots! 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline DannyAzazel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
I don't mind collecting Ponies with flaws and enjoy the rescue of damaged ponies. But I have yet to own any G1s so I haven't had a pony with age spots yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal