collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice for a new seller?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Advice for a new seller?
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
I've got some ponies to sell and I've finally decided to do it... But I'm not sure how to get myself fully prepared. I've only shipped a couple of gifts before. Can I just get some simple and sweet advice for selling? Do you guys buy padded envelopes in bulk or wait until someone makes a purchase? Do I need to invest in a scale? (What kind?) How can I be super prepared?

Thanks! :heart:

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice for a new seller?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
I must say I do prepare with some postage materials...ones I find at a decent price mind you. So getting a pack of padded envelopes wouldn't hurt and some sellotape to seal them up with!  ^.^ I also use mailing bags too :)

This is all for my eBay sales  :)
I've got a lot of my stuff from a pound shop or reasonable price stationary shops etc. Also I have recycled some good envelopes/bags from my purchases before if they are in really good condition. I think it's good for the environment to re-use  :P

But I don't have scales....I know some people do though so that's up to you :)

Good luck!  ^.^

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
I procure my postage supplies from work ;D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
I once went on a slight shopping spree on a site called Tophatter and I am now well stocked with several sizes of bubble envelopes. Depending on how much shipping you plan to do you prob won't need to buy in bulk or anything. I also save any boxes and bubble wrap I receive and reuse. If you want to use Priority Flat rate boxes and envelopes they are offered for free at post offices.
It is very worth it investing in a scale. It makes it so easy to weigh your stuff and get an accurate shipping quote. I got mine for about $30 and it weighs up to 30lbs. There are others that actually use super cheap kitchen scales.

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »
I can give you advice for good customer service that worked for me ;)

-Take pictures of ponies. Extras if there are any flaws. There are picky people out there!
-Be as thorough and honest on your descriptions. Buyers love honest sellers!
-Keep in contact with your buyer, such as "thanks for purchasing" when you receive payment, and let them know when you ship the item. Be nice, and let them know if they have any problems that they can address you.
-Add a little "Thank you" note to your package! Makes them feel that you "personally" dealt with them and they're just not another customer.

Been following that advice and things have been going well for me:)
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »
I think the first consideration is how many ponies you are planning on selling? Don't go buying in bulk if we are talking a dozen or so ponies. Hit up your local Walmart or cheap stationary supplier and purchase some bubble envelopes and plenty of bubble wrap. Also go on a house search for small empty boxes - things like small shoe boxes, anything not used for foot stuff of course. Sometimes when people purchase more than one pony [or even just one pony] shipping is better for the ponies to be done in a small box.

The next thing - start out small - list 3 or 4 and sell 3 or 4 before you start adding more. Sell them, parcel them, send them and get your feedback. Once you have sold this first 3 or 4 ponies you will be more than comfortable to move on and sell more. But its worth selling a small amount at the start to practice and to make sure you dont have any issues with shipping or shipping pricing.

Maronas points are spot on for the customer service side. As many pictures as possible, an accurate as possible description - people will expect this and you don't need the headaches of returns/feedbacks if you miss something. Stay in touch with your buyers and give them a shipping expectation time, as reasonably fast as possible. Also make sure when you are shipping that a buyer does not want tracking or insurance - check both parties are aware of the type of shipping being used.

Unless you want to run to the post office to get shipping prices every time or unless you are willing to risk charging incorrect shipping,  you should have some kind of scales. You dont need to invest in fancy digital scales unless you are doing a lot of selling. Standard kitchen scales should give you a ballpark weight which is enough to work out shipping.

And most of all good luck and have fun! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Thank you guys for the advice! I'll see about picking up shipping supplies tomorrow while I'm out.

Offline sparkleset80

• Trade Count: (+178)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:40:41 PM »
My advice on shipping:
The only shipping supplies I buy are bubble mailers. I bought in bulk cause I have a lot to sell. I bought a digital scale from USPS and it has never failed me. I usually pack up everything and then weigh it and then look up calculate a price on USPS. I never buy boxes, bubble mailers and packaging peanuts because I take them from my work. I also take any paper to be thrown out at my work and take it home to shred to use as packing material as well. We get so many shipments of things and the boxes and stuffing just gets thrown out so I take anything I can get! I do buy baggies for sending my sale stuff in. I get small baggies from Hobby Lobby and bigger ones from the grocery store. I sell internationally as well so it's a good idea to pick up any international forms at the post office so you can fill them out at home instead of the post office.

My advice on selling:
Be detailed in your descriptions and take good pictures! :)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
Here's a few random tips for you.  I hope you find them helpful!

Always document all flaws, even if they're not things you consider flaws, and post pictures of them.  Some flaws that get missed by a lot of sellers include: cancer spots, writing under the feet, head and body color mismatch, rattling, and of course smells.  If you smoke, even if you never smoke near the ponies, put that in the description.  And make sure to add any pets in the home, and if you clean the ponies with scented soaps or shampoos.  Some people are sensitive. 

Documenting all this stuff helps you in two ways.  First, as long as your buyer actually reads the description and looks at the pictures(sometimes they don't...), they know what they're getting.  You shouldn't have any buyers coming back to you and wanting to return a pony because it wasn't as expected, which is a huge hassle for you, and usually ends up costing you money for shipping the pony back and forth.  Second, if it's all there to see already, you shouldn't have a bunch of buyers asking you for more pictures or better descriptions, which can save you A LOT of time if you've got several interested buyers and a lot of ponies for sale.

I like to be crazy picky with my descriptions so any surprises on the buyer's end are happy ones:)

I keep all bubble envelopes and boxes I get.  Let your buyer know if you're using "recycled" packaging material "to save them money".  Most buyers don't care as long as their item arrives ok, but sometimes you run into the odd one that does.  And make sure if you are recycling boxes and envelopes, they're in good enough condition to actually protect your item. 

Charging a handling fee to cover materials is ok, just be up front about it, and make sure you use the handling fee to pay for the packaging materials.  If you charge them for a bubble envelope, don't send it in a recycled envelope.  Buyers generally don't like to pay handling fees, and some will avoid sellers who charge them, but it is acceptable to charge handling. 

Do NOT overload bubble mailers!  I've had a few bubble envelopes arrive with too much stuff crammed into them, and they tend to burst at the seams when that happens.  Taping all the seams of the bubble mailer with packaging tape can help prevent these types of accidents, but it's best to use the right sized envelope to begin with. 

If you're sending small items, make sure they're contained in a baggie and not just loose floating around the envelope or box.  I had a bubble mailer full of accessories burst, and the seller just dumped the accessories in the envelope.  Several were lost, and their was a trail of pony bits leading up to my door from where the mailman carried it.

When packing up things to sell, I like to cover all addresses with clear packing tape to protect them from being torn or getting wet.  I've gotten some inkjet printed packages with smeared or torn addresses because of the weather or rough handling.  If the address becomes unreadable, it can't be delivered:p

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal