collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does Size Matter?  (Read 492 times)

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
Does Size Matter?
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
An age old question that most of us probably have a flippant response to, but in this instance; when selling or buying a custom pony, does size matter?

Would you pay the same for an adult as you would for a baby, or would the cost go down for the smaller pony? Would they go down because of the cost of the supplies being less for a smaller pony, or would it remain the same because of the amount of time and effort you're putting in? Would a G1 or G3 pony cost more than a G4, assuming we're comparing adults to adults, etc? Would the cost be less for a McDonald's pony, even though they're the same approximate size as a G4, or even a Blind Bag pony than a "full size" pony? Or, because we're working in miniature, and smaller scale is harder, would the costs go up? What are your thoughts?

I know that there are a number of factors to consider; materials, time, effort, detail, etc, but this is in a "pony vacuum" of sorts where we're comparing applejacks to applejacks. There are no wrong answers; I'm simply pondering this while I work on a custom pony.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Does Size Matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
Actually it really depends, I often wouldn't charge as much for a baby as an adult but when it comes to g4 vs g1 or g3; g4 can be more expensive sometimes because the bait is more expensive to buy. Really though my customs are priced on detail and how much work I put into them.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Blind bags are more difficult to work with because of their size and design so I don't think that their price is negatively effected by size. However a mcdonalds bait is both cheap and relatively small. I would charge less for a mccustom, partly because production cost is less, and partly because they are not a desirable base. G4s take less hair to rehair so that will shave a few dollars of the materials calculation but the actual bait will cost more to offset it. So where are we. I think generally size does not matter as much as the cost of handling the bait and difficulty of the work. As far as baby verse adult. I can see little less if sculpting but realistically the work load and materials requirements are going to be pretty close.so I could see a lowering but not significantly. Like 10 percent less not like half cost.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:48:38 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Kimmers4Ever

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
For me... G4's are not as readily available as say G3's... Getting a G1 is almost impossible for me... but G3's I have by the ton if a person isn't overly picky about that.  About 90% of my supplies have to be shipped in... so my prices are affected by that a LOT.  So for me size doesn't count to a point.  All depends on bait and supply availability.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
For me it all depends on whether it is a commission or something that I came up with. For my personal projects that I just create to create - it doesn't matter. I price by what I am willing to part with it for. It could be a smaller project but more favored by me than others and so I will price it a little higher.
On commissions size does matter because I am basing my price on many things and a baits size can change many of those factors. Generally my smaller commission pieces are cheaper than the bigger ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal