collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Airbrush paints  (Read 718 times)

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
Re: Airbrush paints
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm really excited :)
I bought some Vallejo air paints but they come in really small bottles and not much colour selection :(
So I'm also going to get some createx paints and try them out too :)

Post Merge: March 13, 2012, 04:53:42 AM

Just got my spraypaint gun, it's very small, is that normal?
I can't get much paint in the gravity feed, but I guess I won't need much paint as it will only be a light spray over each time?!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:53:42 AM by lovelauraland »

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
I use Createx also...here is a link where you can check out all the colors :)
http://www.tcpglobal.com/createx/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Just got my spraypaint gun, it's very small, is that normal?
I can't get much paint in the gravity feed, but I guess I won't need much paint as it will only be a light spray over each time?!

They are all about the length of your hand on average, I would say. And even though the gravity feed doesn't hold much, I thnk you will find it is enough for a pony. I can do a standard 1/4 sheet cake with a smaller gravity feed cup than I have seen on most airbrushes.

One thing I am considering with mine, even though I havent started using it yet, is that I may want to invest in some small squeeze bottles to mix up colors in. Then when I am airbrushing, I can add more paint to the cup a drop or two at a time without having to stop and mix up more.

Im going into this with only cake decorating knowledge, so I'm trying to apply that to the pony decorating in theory. Workingon cakes, I have bottles in different colors, and one bottle with a cleaning solution. I just spray lightly and sometimes rinse between colors. If I follow the color chart, I can go from color to color without rinsing the cup, with just a spray or two on a napkin to clean out the feed.

Im going to guess that wont work so well with paint because it is thicker than the food coloring that I airbrush with.

Im excited to try this all out, but I can't seem to find the time! >.< Im really glad you made this thread, so I can follow along!

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
I use Createx for all full body repaints and once in a while I'll use some watered down acrylics for gradients. There are two reasons why I use Createx for full body repaints: #1 You get great coverage without having to build up a lot of paint layers. #2 The paint is flexible so I don't have any issues with the paint cracking. I can rehair a custom and push the head back on without damaging the paint.

Maniah -I just run water through my gun in between colors. Acrylic paint tends to dry and build up on your needle so cleaning in between colors is a must if you want your gun to continue to work correctly. I can see where it would be different when using food coloring or ink. ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
ah, now that I look at it, its a bit bigger than when I first opened the box, it fits in my hand just fine, just thought the paint tub on top was a bit on the small side! but I think its fine now.
Pop I think I might buy some createx paints too, sadly everywhere I look they are so exspensive :(

Post Merge: March 13, 2012, 01:06:42 PM

thanks DH, that really helps :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal