collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The loyal subjects vinyl figures. I got one! Anyone else seen them?  (Read 61457 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The loyal subjects vinyl figures. I got one! Anyone else seen them?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
I have no clue where to find these in the EU. Anyone know?
I would love to have Gusty, Firefly and Glory. Interesting that they included a princess pony. Kinda odd these are Loyal Subjects and not some other more mainstream toyline, but I won't complain. Any new G1 stuff is good stuff.

I've noticed that all of the ponies used are also all the ponies that are generally included in the "retro" pony style.  I suspect that Hasbro has a retro pony licensing kit including all of the ponies they consider the most popular or iconic.  Princess Sparkle is included because of a running gag on the show "the OC" I think it was.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »
I would love to have Gusty, Firefly and Glory. Interesting that they included a princess pony. Kinda odd these are Loyal Subjects and not some other more mainstream toyline, but I won't complain. Any new G1 stuff is good stuff.

I've noticed that all of the ponies used are also all the ponies that are generally included in the "retro" pony style.  I suspect that Hasbro has a retro pony licensing kit including all of the ponies they consider the most popular or iconic.  Princess Sparkle is included because of a running gag on the show "the OC" I think it was.

Huh?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »

Yeah, Hasbro definitely sending out a production packet (or whatever the official term of) with specific G1 ponies in it to anyone who does licensed merchandise.

I am not so sure about Princess Sparkle being included because of The OC thing, though.  Some of the ponies seem to be chosen due to their popularity (Applejack, Firefly, Glory) and some because . . . I don't know, maybe a staffer had them as a kid and slipped them in because of that?  (But then again, maybe a staffer was a big fan of The OC--totally possible!)

Like, the birthflower pony Rose is turning up on a lot of retro merchandise and she is SUCH an odd choice (especially considering they have ANOTHER white pony with pink hair who turns up on retro merch--the much better known Sundance.)  She's got to have been someone's childhood favorite, right?

To those who haven't heard about The OC:  on the show, one of the girls had a Princess Sparkle toy and her boyfriend had a more realistic horse toy named Captain Oats, and they would pose them together as a symbol of their love or something.  When The OC was still airing, Princess Sparkle's price went up quite a bit!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:04:49 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »
That bit about The OC is hilarious. I simply thought because she is a purple unicorn who is a princess and her name is "Sparkle" like some other popular purple unicorn who became a princess ;)

Notice AJ is on the box and she is the only G1 FiM watchers would know.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
Lol that's hilarious!

Post Merge: July 12, 2017, 03:58:35 PM

I decided to get one at books-a-million! It was $13.99 a box and I ended up with Gusty!  :biggrin:
I ended up super lucky cause she was the one I really wanted. Her rarity was 1/48.

Congrats OkamiGurl!  The pony luck is strong with you.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »
Now I want to watch The OC.

Don't suppose it means "original character" does it?

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
Yes! I love the OC! And not just because they included Princess Sparkle. I still remember watching that episode for the first time and freaking my mom out lol.

Major congrats on Gusty! So jealous!

Ok I was able to go to my moms today since my car was fixed sooner, yay. Not the best lighting or background, but had to make do. I lightened the pics a little bit since it was starting to get dark. Hope these help. She's not the exact same color but I think it's close enough. I think her color is closer to my U.K. Variants which are a just a tab bit more pink than purple.

Size comparison with other G1's and G2-G4 under spoiler. I forgot to do one with a big brother :(

Spoiler

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
I checked Barnes and Noble again today for these but they didn't have them. Thanks for the comparison pics PrincessTiffy.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »
The comparison pics look great. So it seems she's baby pony sized. How perfect! I love seeing her next to your Princess Sparkles too. :good: Thank you Princess Tiffy

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
You guys are very welcome!

Thank you, I love my princess ponies :)
If they decide to make more ponies, which I hope they do, and they add more princess ponies I think I would cry lol. I'm dying for the glitter ones. Did we ever find out if there is a whole group of glitter ones? Or just a glitter chase? I thought I saw a picture of Firefly, Applejack, and Miny as glitter.

*edit* Yup all three of those there is a glitter one, and one of Princess Sparkle!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:04:21 PM by PrincessTiffy »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »

I am not so sure about Princess Sparkle being included because of The OC thing, though.  Some of the ponies seem to be chosen due to their popularity (Applejack, Firefly, Glory) and some because . . . I don't know, maybe a staffer had them as a kid and slipped them in because of that?  (But then again, maybe a staffer was a big fan of The OC--totally possible!)

Like, the birthflower pony Rose is turning up on a lot of retro merchandise and she is SUCH an odd choice (especially considering they have ANOTHER white pony with pink hair who turns up on retro merch--the much better known Sundance.)  She's got to have been someone's childhood favorite, right?

That could be, but I'm going to argue that most of these ponies where chosen either because of popularity in general or to fill a specific iconic mlp niche.

Gusty, Glory, Applejack, Firefly, Minty, Sundance, and Lickety Split are definitly all chosen for popularity.  Powder is a little odd, she could be chosen as an alternate purple unicorn to Princess Sparkle and she *was* on MLP n Friends.  Or maybe she was chosen for being a purple unicorn first and Princess Sparkle "usurped" her position at a later date.  But I haven't actually seen her on a whole lot of stuff.

That leaves
Snuzzle/Peachy: classic pose pony with pink and hearts
Starshine: white pony with rainbow hair
Rose: Classic pony with pink and a flower
Because hearts, rainbows, and flowers are what people think of when they think My Little Pony, right?

And finally Princess Sparkle, a pony from much later in the g1 production run than all the others.  If they just wanted a purple unicorn, they could have just stayed with Powder.  If it had to do with referencing Twilight Sparkle, they could have used the actual g1 Twilight.  It's just too much of a coincidence that Princess Sparkle gained popularity on a non-mlp show, especially on a show that is now old enough to have its own nostalgia factor.

Anyway, those are my arguments.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 08:54:23 PM »
Wow the proportions are almost exactly the same as a baby pony.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
I got Gusty and Glory! I swore I wasn't going to buy them, but...it happened.  :biggrin:

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
When I see those ball joints that easily snap apart, all I can think is that it's only a matter of time before someone sticks one of those pony heads on a doll body. I'd love to see it.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
Do the manes pop off like the tails?  Maybe we can mix and match like Swatches.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal