collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pullips  (Read 8112 times)

YellowCat

• Trade Count: (0)
Pullips
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
So, I think I'm going to be getting one soon.  I have almost all the money saved, I only need $20 more and I'll have enough to buy most new dolls.

What do I need to know?  Are there any problems these dolls have?  Should I buy new or adopt a pre-loved doll.  How should I decide which doll to get?  There are a few I really like and I can't decide who I should get.

So far I really like:
 Kaela
Craziia
Holly
Celsiy
Nero
Eternia

I know some of them are no longer available, but I could get them used.

So many questions and decisions!  :lol:

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
Re: Pullips
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
i only own 1 Pullip, and i concider myself VERY uneducated about them, but i have 11 Taeyangs and am more learned in their ideosynchratic ways ... lol

dark stocks tend to stain the bodies ... i know Craziia for a fact has stain reports ... some of the Pullip body types (1,2,3,4 which is the newest) are rather icky ... i think it's type 2 that has melt issues around where the dolls head touches the neck of the body ... and the "waist pop" i can't remember what type that happens to ... sounds painful lol

some are more prone to broken arms/legs/wrists than others ... i've purchased all of mine from pullip Style (took me a looooooooooooooong time to settle on them as my first place to purchase, but i found NO legit negatives about them, and they've so super amazing and helpful!) the page for each dolly even includes some info on common issues with the doll (yes, as a disclaimer, but still provides lots of info on the doll to keep in mind when ordering one from elsewhere at least) and Dolly Market is another good site for doll info/reviews/etc

eta: as for new vs used it's really all personal preference ... i prefere new, just because i'm really picky and i want my doll to be MY doll lol not to say i won't ever rescue a doll in need, but you just want to watch condition and make sure any dolly bought used is packed for shipping REALLY well

as a side note "WELCOME FELLOW MICHIGANDER INTO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF PULLIPS!" but i warn you ... they are worse than potato chips ... you start out with one going "oh, i'll just get this one and be happy" WRONG! soon they will beg and plead and wheedle their way into your heart and you will find yourself surrounded by them and their boxes! ... i started june of last year ... and like i said, i have 1 pullip, 11 Taeyangs, 1 Dal, and 1 Isul ... the ponies are getting nervous ... lol
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:37:00 PM by kamakazee82 »
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
I highly recommend Celsiy, I have one and love her to pieces! She's very versatile:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
It always amazes me that something so beautiful can be so expensive yet made so poorly that it won't last 20 years. blaaaaaa  Toy makers should have long since learned about plastic melt by now to not have that every happen again with dolls.   I don't have one of these. I admire them though.  I hope they last. I don't have any information at all..just commenting on the problems listed so far.  I adore their eyes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:49:24 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
i don't think there are melt issues anymore outside of the type 2 bodies ... but with ANY lastic item (ponies incuded) you want to be careful what other plastic items you leave them in contact with for long periods of time because melt will happen, especially with rement/accessories ... and then sometimes you think something is safe because nothing's happened for years, but then one day BAZAM! there it is ... it just took forever to show up :( it's not like they were planning for it to happen or that they sit on a prototype doll for three years before making it lol

the staining could be fixed easily by making sure the fabric is color safed, but that costs money and takes time ... the fragility tends to come from the whole "slender/elegant" look of the dolls, ad can't really be avoided unless they make them thicker and then there are other issues like bubbles int he plastic, warping as it cures, closthes don't fit right, it is "as pleasing tot he eye" etc etc

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
Celsiy was my first - i adore her face, and she looks wonderful with so many different eyes and wigs :heart: but Kaela's so sweet! She is one of my favorites (just don't tell the other girls - lol)
type 2 bodies are the ones that have melt/tummy pop issues. these are the stock bodies on the older dolls (my Panda had a type 2)
Celsiy comes on a type 3, which sometimes have issues with the wrist, (but I believe type 4's do as well...which started around Kaela)
I have purchased some of my girls new, and others second hand. The girls i purchased new were from Pullip Style. Found the second hand girls on dolly market. Most people are very good about presenting all issues or flaws about their dolls. (they do have feedback systems on the site too)
but pullips are fabulous...so fun with the wigs and eyes and you can make them whoever you want them to be!

my Celsiy (new hair and eyes)

and my Kaela (all stock, except for a slight faceup change)

Rococo

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
Some of those on your want list may be a bit harder to find (Nero in particular) because they're listed as sold out at the distributor level. Of course you may still be able to find them even new and unopened on the secondary market!

I think as has been stated before, Pullips can be very fragile (or finicky as hay). You need to make sure that other plastics don't touch their faces for long periods of time, as it can cause chemical melt. Don't even leave her hand touching her face for very long! Most people also obitsu (brand name of company that produced 1/6 scale super-poseable doll bodies) their dolls because their stock bodies (especially type 3 bodies, I believe) are very lacking in the pose department. A great amount of people re-wig, which is super simple. Pullip stock wigs tend to be... well, pretty crap.

I third PullipStyle for your purchase if you wanted to buy them new. They're trustworthy, ship fast, and answer questions quickly! Every single one of my 13 Pullips I own have been purchased from them with zero problems. Shipping is also really cheap from them if you pick their table rate (takes about 3 days to reach me but I live in California which borders the state they ship from--Arizona).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:01:26 PM by Rococo »

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:15 PM »
I got both of my dolls (a Hello Kitty and a Latte) second-hand.  Ali (HK) came from eBay for about $60, and Becca (Latte) I bought from Loa.  I don't mind previously-owned dolls and it's a bit cheaper.  I have Ali on an Obitsu and I love it.  I may switch Becca soon too.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
I plan on buying from Pullip style if I buy new. This is all something I need to get to thinking about too, because I'm finally saving up and getting close to reaching my "goals" I set up that the doll will be a reward for.

Buying used doesn't seem to be a bad idea. I know people on here sell from time to time and with the trader support and feedback system here, it's generally very trustworthy. And there's usually not a whole lot of problems with used dolls, except I notice most people are selling them on an obitsu body because so many people do switch the bodies. Apparently pullip bodies are fussy and fragile. Not that there's anything wrong with obitsu bodies, they are pretty nice.

For your first doll, well here's what I want to do. I want to get a doll with a stock face that looks "natural", you know, no strange colors or anything. Just to be sure she's versatile enough to dress in anything. I've been looking at Tiphona, and Celsiy. I also love Angelique but I'm not certain she's as versatile as I want, and I will definitely want to change her eyes right away. I am so sad that Tiphona is sold out on Pullip Style though. She's been my first choice for a while xD
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Rococo

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Both Tiphona and Celsiy are sold out at the distributor level so they may be a bit tougher to get hold of for a good price new in box. A lot of the newer dolls (the ones in 2011 and 2012) have more natural make-up palettes, I think.

YellowCat

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
So, when compared to Monster High how much more fragile are Pullip bodies?  I've never had any of my MH dolls break, but I have heard about it happening to quite a few people.  I play with them quit a bit too.

I know all too well about plastic melt, my childhood sunsparkle petite ponies all have melt marks after being stored for 10+ years next to inflatable vinyl Barbie furniture.  When I came across them a couple a years ago they all had gooey spots where the vinyl was touching them.  The plastic has hardened again, but the melt marks are still there and still obvious.

I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with Pullips.  So far I've been a good dolly mommy.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
i classify them as a more fragile than MH, though i think they're aimed at about the same age group, but pullips are really more geared and designed for collector collectors, not for heavy duty paly time. but posing/styling/wardrobing/etc is still definately doable. it really varies from doll to doll, some are more prone to certain issues than others, and then some dolls sometimes just get the bad juju and have a bunch of stuff just because of pure luck of the draw.

most of them aren't going to break by looking at em, but if they take a tumble you can see fractures/cracking/shiny spots if you're lucky, and an actual break/shattering if you're not :( my Tae Hash has face planted about three times now and his shoulder is way muffed up, but thankfully no breaks/marks, but i know some not so fun horror stories of dollies takin a dive and needing serious damage repair :(

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
All 4 types of Pullip bodies have issues, I believe (i.e., type 2 is prone to tummy-pop, type 3 is prone to wrist crack, etc.). Even obitsu'd Pullips aren't 100% study because of their huge heads putting a lot of weight on the bodies, which are technically meant for 1/6 scaled heads.

But their faces do seem to be reactive to a lot of other plastics... I would just keep nothing plastic directly on their face as everything from harder plastics such as their hands to softer plastics (I've even heard of bubble wrap damaging their faces??) have allegedly caused melt. And of course dyed cloth also can stain their faces lol. Such finicky dolls.

YellowCat

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
I've narrowed down my choices to either Kaela or Craziia, but I still can't decide which I like the most.

Rococo

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
I own Kaela from those two and you wouldn't regret owning her. She has nice, soft hair, a pretty face, and I personally prefer type 4 bodies over type 3. xD Craziia has severe staining issues and although her stock sucks (IMO, anyway; it's so lacking versatility!), I love her beautiful, thick eyebrows. They give her a unique look compared to other Pullips. She is one girl I would love to own pre-loved.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal