collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread  (Read 32373 times)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« on: August 26, 2012, 03:05:54 AM »
By popular request. <3

Have a doll with it?  Want to fix it?  Please post here to keep the other threads tidy.  Thanks!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
Temporary solutions so far:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Twin Pines Formula 9-1-1

Mötsenböcker's Lift Off "#2" - Tape Remover

Goof Off 2 - This product has been discontinued but is still available for purchase online.

Goo Gone Spray Gel
Please keep in mind that all of these products are "use at your own risk".
Be sure to follow all safety precautions outlined by the manufacturer of the product and only use in a well-ventilated area with the proper equipment. Keep out of reach of any children, pets and away from unprotected skin.
These are only listed here for those of you who want to try to remove the glue from your dolls and are willing to take the risk. While none of us have mentioned any negative effects from these products, keep in mind that something could always go wrong when dealing with chemicals and plastics.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:55:30 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Alicat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
So ok. I will bite! I think that my school's out Frankie has it. So far, it just seems to be super greasy hair. no blobs or chunks of glue. My GR Frankie came off the backer card with a greasy stain on the card. Will it have the issue?

So my question for you  is: how do you tell? Are there any pictures of it? thanks!!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
I think my Frankie and Rochelle have it. I'm pretty upset that it's happening to Frankie, because she was my first doll, so she's really special. :( Honestly, this glue problem is one of the biggest reasons why I'm losing interest in Monster High.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »
Which dolls are just very prone to it? Are there some dolls that don't seem to get it?
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
Which dolls are just very prone to it? Are there some dolls that don't seem to get it?

I also hear about Rochelles getting glue seepage. Frankie's are pretty common with it too.. I never hear about Cleos or Ghoulias getting it, same thing with Spectra... But I may be totally wrong.
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
Interestingly enough, Cleo, Ghoulia and Spectra are all rooted with kanekalon; Rochelle and Frankie are rooted with saran. I wonder if people are mistaking the natural oiliness of saran with glue seepage..? I've handled saran from Dollyhair before, and it's definitely slicker than nylon and kanekalon.

My Meowlody definitely had glue seepage -- I had to remove her hair because the glue was so thick and sticky, it was sticking her hair together in big chunks. My Rochelle and Frankie, on the other hand, don't feel sticky, just oily. I wonder...

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
Interestingly enough, Cleo, Ghoulia and Spectra are all rooted with kanekalon; Rochelle and Frankie are rooted with saran. I wonder if people are mistaking the natural oiliness of saran with glue seepage..? I've handled saran from Dollyhair before, and it's definitely slicker than nylon and kanekalon.

My Meowlody definitely had glue seepage -- I had to remove her hair because the glue was so thick and sticky, it was sticking her hair together in big chunks. My Rochelle and Frankie, on the other hand, don't feel sticky, just oily. I wonder...

See, I was wondering this too. My 2.0 Frankie has SUPER slick hair, but when I go down to the scalp, there isn't anything "seeping". The hair is the same texture the entire way down. So far [knock on wood] I don't think I have any dolls, including Rochelle, who have glue seepage issues.

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
My S1600 Cupid has it BAD. My boyfriend picked her up for me in April, but I didn't get to open her until July. Her hair was thick with glue right out of the box. It's sticky to the touch and clumps together.  :(

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
My S1600 Cupid has it BAD. My boyfriend picked her up for me in April, but I didn't get to open her until July. Her hair was thick with glue right out of the box. It's sticky to the touch and clumps together.  :(

Are you sure it wasn't hair gel? 'Cause Sweet 1600 Cupid comes with a whole bunch of hair gel straight out of the box... It makes the hair stuck together in one big clump, and it comes out with some water.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't hair gel? 'Cause Sweet 1600 Cupid comes with a whole bunch of hair gel straight out of the box... It makes the hair stuck together in one big clump, and it comes out with some water.

THIS. He has very thick gel, wash it with shampoo THOROUGHLY and then let dry naturally, on a towel. If it is still very very thick with gunk, it will be seapage. Good luck! :)
x

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
This is so shocking :shocked: none of mine have this issue but they do have super oily hair, but that's the type of hair. It's not actually greasy or sticky.

I will keep an eye on this thread, just in case I get a doll with the glue problem.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
Well, we do know that it's mostly the dolls from Indonesia that seem to be afflicted with it. I have a basic Operetta that I've washed with hot water tons of times who is amazingly only now starting to show the beginning signs. I do think the quickness and severity of the seepage has to do with the "cheapness" of the dolls; supposedly all of the dolls from the Gloom Beach 5-pack are very prone to it (I can attest that Cleo from the pack certainly is at least), which makes sense given their price point and that they were likely rush-manufactured to meet demand.

What about a list of dolls that are NOT prone to it? Just in case someone is looking for only one doll of each character that they can buy outfits for. Skull Shores, Dead Tired, and Roller Maze were made in China and all seem to have very soft and squishy heads with no glue inside. :)

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
I think Dot Dead Gorgeous was also made in China. I dehaired a DDG Spectra, and there was no glue at all.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
supposedly all of the dolls from the Gloom Beach 5-pack are very prone to it (I can attest that Cleo from the pack certainly is at least), which makes sense given their price point and that they were likely rush-manufactured to meet demand.

I only have Gloom Beach Ghoulia from that line, and she doesn't have any seepage. I bring it up to ask: I wonder if she was done differently due to being ONLY available in the 5-pack?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal