collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18962 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »
Hum...
Underwhelmed?

But...

If it resonates with the kids...

That matters more?

Reserving judgement. Only thing I will say is that I despise the link to G4, like Hasbro think MLP cannot operate without its FIM crutch any more. It would do better to write a completely new story without the baggage of the past. But originality is a dead art.

I agree with you, that this premise can hold up without hard ties to FiM. Tales had no problem and did not need to cling to N Friends like a leech.

I don't think it's using it as a crutch. I think it's happening because FiM still is on a lot of streaming sites.

It's just a location. It's characters and plot that make up a story. :)

Agreed. In the era of streaming television, it makes sense to give kids a link to something they’re already familiar with. The mere fact that MAGIC has vanished already prevents this show from being a repeat of last time... Unless... they bring the magic back by the end of the movie. :/
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
They are really ruining it with that two-name, human-style naming system.  Shame, honestly, because I really like the style otherwise.  Its not as big an issue to me as the ridiculous premise, but it’s still another strike against it. 

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:11 AM »
Having seen all the G5 news up to this point, I can say that I'm still cautiously optimistic.
Some of the CG looks really nice, and it seems animated well enough. The names will take some getting used to, particularly Sunny Starscout.
As for the plot, it has me intrigued. If that leaked animatic is of any indication, it will curious to see the cast from FiM being viewed as old heroes, or some mythical legend long forgotten.
I wonder to what extent magic is "gone". I mean, we still have unicorns. Can they not cast spells anymore?
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2021, 05:40:31 AM »
When I hear the name Hitch, all I can think of is that movie with Will Smith. Hitch as in, matchmaker. I'm sure that is not how they are intending it, but that's my immediate association when I hear it!

I'm in the minority here, but I've always liked the 2-part surname names. The only weird thing was how inconsistent they were with it: Pie was a surname for Pinkie's family, and there was the Cake family, and some others I can't think of right now, but why didn't Apple Jack's family all have Jack names? Or why didn't Shining Armour have 'Sparkle' as a surname? I guess I just hope that if they continue this into the new generation, they are consistent about it.

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2021, 07:25:29 AM »
I get Buck from Home on the Range vibes from Hitch, if anyone remembers that movie.

I’ve kinda warmed up to the names now that it’s clear they all have pony-ish last names. I’ve heard some people theorizing Pipp’s full name is Pipp Pomeranian. ;)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2021, 03:19:40 PM »
When I hear the name Hitch, all I can think of is that movie with Will Smith. Hitch as in, matchmaker. I'm sure that is not how they are intending it, but that's my immediate association when I hear it!

Same here, and I've never even seen that movie lol. I just expect him to sound like Will Smith.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »

Same here, and I've never even seen that movie lol. I just expect him to sound like Will Smith.

That would be hilarious. They should get him to do Hitch's voice...I'm sure he's got bigger projects going on, but it would be funny if they did.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2021, 08:12:24 PM »
I really dig the animated characters. They definitely do have a Disney vibe, though! They could hang out with Sisu and be right at home.

The toys we've seen don't seem to even try to capture that aesthetic, which is kind of a shame!

The 2D character art also falls a little short of the charm of the 3D models, but that's super common with this kind of thing. 2D and 3D design have such different needs. Similarly, the G4 ponies looked a little odd in 3D.

All in all: I'm excited for G5 and hoping that we'll get toys that look more like the animated characters!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2021, 02:36:55 AM »
Naming the guy Hitch is quite risque. I imagine autocorrect is gonna have a field day with this name :lookround:

And Trailblazer is just hilarious because they probably thought this is the first male pony mainchar so we gotta name him something that really hammers it home that he's the first of his kind, a true trailblazer :P
I'm kinda sad they didn't name him something like "Manny Brohoof".

Post Merge: February 28, 2021, 02:56:59 AM

... Unless... they bring the magic back by the end of the movie. :/

I think they will. That's why some of these screenshots have no cutiemarks but the toys do. Cutiemarks are magic in the world of FiM and magic is a very handy plot device. I think the show will then focus on Sunny, Zippy and Dooda bringing the magic to the rest of Equestria and reuniting the ponies again.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:56:59 AM by Zapper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2021, 07:21:50 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2021, 07:55:38 AM »
Am reminded of Foghorn Leghorn
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »
Naming the guy Hitch is quite risque. I imagine autocorrect is gonna have a field day with this name :lookround:

And Trailblazer is just hilarious because they probably thought this is the first male pony mainchar so we gotta name him something that really hammers it home that he's the first of his kind, a true trailblazer :P
I'm kinda sad they didn't name him something like "Manny Brohoof".

Post Merge: February 28, 2021, 02:56:59 AM

... Unless... they bring the magic back by the end of the movie. :/

I think they will. That's why some of these screenshots have no cutiemarks but the toys do. Cutiemarks are magic in the world of FiM and magic is a very handy plot device. I think the show will then focus on Sunny, Zippy and Dooda bringing the magic to the rest of Equestria and reuniting the ponies again.

I think I saw somewhere that they do have marks but just like the toys they are only on one side now
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2021, 10:35:47 AM »
I think I saw somewhere that they do have marks but just like the toys they are only on one side now
I really doubt that. I'm thinking that they're just kids and also something with the magic.
In the animatic, we see a CM on both sides of the parent figure during a cutie mark scene.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2021, 01:31:41 PM »
I really doubt that. I'm thinking that they're just kids and also something with the magic.
In the animatic, we see a CM on both sides of the parent figure during a cutie mark scene.

Sunny and Izzy’s designer tweeted that she was bothered by the lack of cutie marks, which makes me think it was probably prompted by Hasbro  later in development. I don’t think if it was a plot point she would have said anything as she’s still under a NDA.

I do wish there was a story reason for it, though. :P “Corporate cost-cutting” is the worst answer for everything.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »

Sunny and Izzy’s designer tweeted that she was bothered by the lack of cutie marks, which makes me think it was probably prompted by Hasbro  later in development. I don’t think if it was a plot point she would have said anything as she’s still under a NDA.

I do wish there was a story reason for it, though. :P “Corporate cost-cutting” is the worst answer for everything.

I do think there's got to be a story reason because they toys seem to still have them. Just maybe it's something newer writers tacked on later. Like most of the FIM Cutie Mark stuff was added by later writers and had nothing to do with Faust's original idea.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:25:45 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal