collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18961 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
Since we're all sharing what they remind us of; they remind me of the "awesome face" from way back:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
Since we're all sharing what they remind us of; they remind me of the "awesome face" from way back:

I don't wanna hear any other comparisons, this is the best one.  :silly:

The more that I look at them -- I agree with whoever said they have Disney Junior vibes.

They look very safe, and very fitting into the preschool visuals. And I think that's why I feel indifferent to them. *shrug*
I think the Q4 report mentioned that this is eOne's reimagining...and it reminds me they made PJ Masks.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
I'm still catching up on the rest of the thread, but I just wanted to post my initial thoughts. I think they're really cute!!! I love the hoof design, and I think the feathery wings and horn is different and pretty! And I don't think a front-on angle is flattering on ANY pony art style, it's just an awkward angle to try to capture. But from the looks of it, their muzzles are larger than G4, which I think is a step up since I know a lot of fans thought the tiny G4 muzzles looked too cat-like. 

My only hesitation is that orange pony. Her color scheme reminds me too much of Scootaloo, who I always thoughts a fairly ugly pony, so I'm not looking forward to seeing a bunch of merchandise with her around  :lol:

But if this is genuinely the direction Hasbro is going, then I'm all for it!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »
The colors of them are just really uninspiring. I can see they are deciding to go the 'safe' route as far as color is concerned; combinations of pink, purple and blue probably sell toys the best. They probably thought they were taking a risk with the orange pony...but then they had to go and pair it with pink hair to make it 'cute' enough to sell. Boring.

I'll join the club of people wishing for actual jaws on ponies again.

Offline lmcdonald17

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
My Little Pony First Look at G5 characters!
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »
http://www.youloveit.com/cartoons/1784-first-look-at-new-my-little-pony-g5-characters.html

This link shows how the new g5 characters are going to look. They are original and look more like horses! I know what everyone has been saying about how promoting social justice in a fantasy kid's show could be disastrous :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, but I am still happy about the designs and hope the toys look cute and awesome!
returning pony collector  ;)

:work:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »

:O You... you are amazing.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony First Look at G5 characters!
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »
Not too happy about this look. Kind of hoping it's fake but I'm sure you've done your research.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
Yep! This thread already exists for this topic:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,400834.0.html

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »
Not too bad. I'll withhold judgment until I see more as this is just a glimpse. And hey, there are things about G4 I didn't care for that grew on me, so who knows where this will go.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
I like these better than pony life but there's something off to me about them.   Something about their faces isn't quite right.  I do like the feathered hooves though.

Ponyfan

Yeah, too round and human like. No lower jaw. Be this Hasbro or some other company, it makes what might have been cute, ugly and creepy.

Post Merge: February 23, 2021, 07:38:42 AM

I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

That’s a very divided opinion. For me, G4 started going downhill when every single episode started pandering and giving winks/nods to the adult fans. Finally, we ended up with the infamous Daring Do body pillow scene.  :facepalm: Not everything fan-influenced was bad—we saw favorite characters like Nightmare Moon being spotlighted, and we certainly got some cool merch aimed at older viewers—but the shameless pandering became increasingly unbearable to me as the series wore on.

I’d rather see it returned to its roots as a show aimed at children, that some adults happen to enjoy for its innocence and magic (and nostalgia, of course). :shrug:

That's disgusting! Why would they think that's ok?

I... legitimately... have no idea. :blink: If you haven’t seen the episode, it was about Rainbow Dash attending a Daring Do convention. While she’s touring around the booths and exhibits with another fan, they see body pillows for sale featuring an image of Daring Do tied up. They both give it a weirded-out look and move on.

The whole scene gave me the feeling that one of the writers or staff had gone to an actual con and seen some icky fan-made merch. They were probably creeped out by it or found it funny, and decided to reference it in the show itself... which was a wildly inappropriate decision. I don’t know how it ever got greenlit, other than no one was paying attention or understood the reference. :/

Oh no. Am I the only one who laughed at that bit? XD I think I may be, but I kind of have a messed up sense of humor. Totally get why some would find that unacceptable though.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
hahaha omg Zapper, that image! I love it!!

I've never seen the body pillow thing (don't watch FiM and I really don't want to put that into google...) but it still creeps me out. from what you guys have said about it, the fact that she's tied up is what push it over the edge for me.. if it was just a generic image on the pillow I'd be like "haha, that's pushing it a bit" but tied up... Why...

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »

Oh my goodness gracious. I never thought I would see that face again in my life.

Thank you.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
I like these better than pony life but there's something off to me about them.   Something about their faces isn't quite right.  I do like the feathered hooves though.

Ponyfan

Yeah, too round and human like. No lower jaw. Be this Hasbro or some other company, it makes what might have been cute, ugly and creepy.

Post Merge: February 23, 2021, 07:38:42 AM

I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

That’s a very divided opinion. For me, G4 started going downhill when every single episode started pandering and giving winks/nods to the adult fans. Finally, we ended up with the infamous Daring Do body pillow scene.  :facepalm: Not everything fan-influenced was bad—we saw favorite characters like Nightmare Moon being spotlighted, and we certainly got some cool merch aimed at older viewers—but the shameless pandering became increasingly unbearable to me as the series wore on.

I’d rather see it returned to its roots as a show aimed at children, that some adults happen to enjoy for its innocence and magic (and nostalgia, of course). :shrug:

That's disgusting! Why would they think that's ok?

I... legitimately... have no idea. :blink: If you haven’t seen the episode, it was about Rainbow Dash attending a Daring Do convention. While she’s touring around the booths and exhibits with another fan, they see body pillows for sale featuring an image of Daring Do tied up. They both give it a weirded-out look and move on.

The whole scene gave me the feeling that one of the writers or staff had gone to an actual con and seen some icky fan-made merch. They were probably creeped out by it or found it funny, and decided to reference it in the show itself... which was a wildly inappropriate decision. I don’t know how it ever got greenlit, other than no one was paying attention or understood the reference. :/

Oh no. Am I the only one who laughed at that bit? XD I think I may be, but I kind of have a messed up sense of humor. Totally get why some would find that unacceptable though.

I mean at least the message seems to be "wow some of you fans out there are really creepy" not " yay pony body pillows are cool!" like I had assumed when people got upset. But maybe the show itself wasn't the best place to express their disapproval. Probably should have kept it to twitter.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:12:50 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »

Wow that's really spot on!!   :lol:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
I mean at least the message seems to be "wow some of you fans out there are really creepy" not " yay pony body pillows are cool!" like I had assumed when people got upset. But maybe the show itself wasn't the best place to express their disapproval. Probably should have kept it to twitter.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was indeed the intent: to criticize the creepier side of the fandom. Which in itself is good... But casually tossing something like that into a show marketed to preschoolers was really crossing a line, IMO. I agree they should have kept it to Twitter or similar outlets. (For anyone curious, the episode in question was “Stranger Than Fan Fiction”—which is actually an otherwise good ep, oddly enough. Just searching that episode’s title immediately brings up the scene in question, though... because it’s THAT notorious. :/)

While that scene was by itself shocking, it sort of serves as a cautionary tale about letting a fandom influence a franchise too much. By that point in the show, the fandom references had gone from “Look! There’s Doctor Whooves in the background!” to “Let’s make a half-hour episode that’s nothing but MEMES!”. :facepalm:

...Which is why I’m feeling pretty warmly towards these new, Disney Junior/Playskool-esque designs. Please Hasbro... PLEASE just make it a straightforward kids’ show again, instead of trying to get edgy and pander to memey fandoms. It’s My Little Pony, not Animaniacs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:39:12 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal