collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18877 times)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2021, 07:03:16 PM »
Okay...I don't hate it. It's a lot less annoying to look at than Pony Life lol. I don't like this style of eye, where the bottom is flat and kinda cutesy/chubby cheek looking. The straight on views look really awkward and are just uncomfortable. I agree that the style is a bit reminiscent of G3.5, but it's kind of a mix of that and G2 to me. I love G2 toys but never did care for the artwork (again, it's the eyes)...so maybe any toys that are coming will look nicer than the artwork heh. I can hope.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2021, 09:04:20 PM »
I guess I'd say I'm pretty neutral on these designs too. There are plenty of parts I like, and plenty I dislike...
These three are very boring looking to me, to start with - we've seen these colour schemes a million times before and they're just not that exciting to look at. The unicorn is pretty though, and I do like her blue hair gradient.

The faces definitely look bland and a little too human-like, and I am scared for the lack of lower jaw (hoping they'll have one in a profile view!). But I do think the muzzle at least looks a little bigger and squarer than the G4 design which is a little more horsey and something I've wanted to see (although I'd like it even bigger haha).
The different coloured horn and wings definitely gives me fakie vibes and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Their hairstyles are cute! I like the earth pony's braid thing she has  going on there!
Love the feathered hooves.

So yeah overall I don't have a strong feeling towards them, I neither love them or hate them... but honestly that's kind of a good thing haha. I'd much rather be 'meh' about them than disappointed. I will look forward to seeing what the toys of them look like for sure!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »
I mean at least the message seems to be "wow some of you fans out there are really creepy" not " yay pony body pillows are cool!" like I had assumed when people got upset. But maybe the show itself wasn't the best place to express their disapproval. Probably should have kept it to twitter.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was indeed the intent: to criticize the creepier side of the fandom. Which in itself is good... But casually tossing something like that into a show marketed to preschoolers was really crossing a line, IMO. I agree they should have kept it to Twitter or similar outlets. (For anyone curious, the episode in question was “Stranger Than Fan Fiction”—which is actually an otherwise good ep, oddly enough. Just searching that episode’s title immediately brings up the scene in question, though... because it’s THAT notorious. :/)

While that scene was by itself shocking, it sort of serves as a cautionary tale about letting a fandom influence a franchise too much. By that point in the show, the fandom references had gone from “Look! There’s Doctor Whooves in the background!” to “Let’s make a half-hour episode that’s nothing but MEMES!”. :facepalm:

...Which is why I’m feeling pretty warmly towards these new, Disney Junior/Playskool-esque designs. Please Hasbro... PLEASE just make it a straightforward kids’ show again, instead of trying to get edgy and pander to memey fandoms. It’s My Little Pony, not Animaniacs.

I didn't really mind most meme references, since the majority of them were harmless stuff all in good fun that the writers put in because it was references to stuff they enjoyed. It's just a shame that parts of the fandom got gross like this enough that the show runners felt they had to critique it. If the show itself starts laying into the fandom then it's really bad.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2021, 05:03:02 AM »
Huh.... I think I'm pretty neutral on these. They kinda feel like g2 got the preschool-y g3.5 treatment? I think they'll make better toys than vector images, to be honest. The pegasus is cute and I can see myself getting used to her design. :) The orange one does have a weird family guy face thing going on though that doesn't quite sit right with me, and the way the purple and blue one's is drawn is immediately giving me a weird vibe of like... they're going to try to do an extremely poorly executed episode about diversity/racism. I can't quite put my finger on it but I can just like... smell it on her. She's cute but my intuition is picking up something weird on her. I just hope I turn out to be wrong.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2021, 06:40:45 AM »
I like these better than pony life but there's something off to me about them.   Something about their faces isn't quite right.  I do like the feathered hooves though.

Ponyfan

Yeah, too round and human like. No lower jaw. Be this Hasbro or some other company, it makes what might have been cute, ugly and creepy.

Post Merge: February 23, 2021, 07:38:42 AM

I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

That’s a very divided opinion. For me, G4 started going downhill when every single episode started pandering and giving winks/nods to the adult fans. Finally, we ended up with the infamous Daring Do body pillow scene.  :facepalm: Not everything fan-influenced was bad—we saw favorite characters like Nightmare Moon being spotlighted, and we certainly got some cool merch aimed at older viewers—but the shameless pandering became increasingly unbearable to me as the series wore on.

I’d rather see it returned to its roots as a show aimed at children, that some adults happen to enjoy for its innocence and magic (and nostalgia, of course). :shrug:

That's disgusting! Why would they think that's ok?

I... legitimately... have no idea. :blink: If you haven’t seen the episode, it was about Rainbow Dash attending a Daring Do convention. While she’s touring around the booths and exhibits with another fan, they see body pillows for sale featuring an image of Daring Do tied up. They both give it a weirded-out look and move on.

The whole scene gave me the feeling that one of the writers or staff had gone to an actual con and seen some icky fan-made merch. They were probably creeped out by it or found it funny, and decided to reference it in the show itself... which was a wildly inappropriate decision. I don’t know how it ever got greenlit, other than no one was paying attention or understood the reference. :/

Oh no. Am I the only one who laughed at that bit? XD I think I may be, but I kind of have a messed up sense of humor. Totally get why some would find that unacceptable though.

I mean at least the message seems to be "wow some of you fans out there are really creepy" not " yay pony body pillows are cool!" like I had assumed when people got upset. But maybe the show itself wasn't the best place to express their disapproval. Probably should have kept it to twitter.

I don't even mind most of the "creepy" stuff... apart from when it's way too easy to stumble onto it when you don't want to see it. Let it stay in its shadowy corner of the net just for those who want it. The adult Pony art that really gets under my skin is any that depicts extreme gore, and there's no cute way to poke fun at that. Ugh. Just why. Take me with a grain of salt, I generally enjoy the "pandering" and memes in episodes, and I love Slice of Life. I wouldn't want the whole show to be like that, but for what it is, it's a fun tip of the hat to that part of the fanbase.

Anyway manifesto over. XD I took the episode, especially the convention scene and the character of Quibble Pants to be a wider critique of fandoms in general, where the episode Fame and Misfortune was a much more focused, and much less silly taking down of the problematic parts of the fandom and the way they see the characters.

(I hope people are okay with me being off topic of the main thread. Anyway my view of the new art is: It's just a first glimpse. I'm kind of neutral on it so I can see the point of those who don't like it, and the ones who are into it. This may not even be fully representative of what we're going to get out of the figures, any animation that comes out, or even more of the art on licensed merch. Compare some of the early art you'd get on G4 merch to what we ended up getting more often. I'm going to hold out until we see more.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:43:39 AM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2021, 07:47:36 AM »
Well, if it is for real then that lets me focus on my G1 and G3 Collections. So that's a plus. As a minus, I miss when MLP didn't hate horses. Seems like the Basic Fun and mishmash ponies, despite the weird eyes on the latter, are the last hurrah. How sucky.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
Just chiming in to say the investor event tomorrow starts at 10 AM est and it looks like it will be live on the site. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:45:43 PM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
Ooh, thank you tailrustedtealeaf :D Do we know much about what these events are usually like? The words "investor event" just make me think of business people discussing numbers. But we can expect pictures, yes?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »
Ooh, thank you tailrustedtealeaf :D Do we know much about what these events are usually like? The words "investor event" just make me think of business people discussing numbers. But we can expect pictures, yes?
It's supposed to replace toy fair this year! I think it's the first being held for Hasbro. I'm not sure what exactly will happen but if I can watch it, I'm going to stream it on my G5 server and record it to have an offline archive...so I'll try to keep everyone updated.
Here's a link to it.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »
i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it's also worth it to monitor hasbro's media library as they may release toy information there prior to the event:
https://newsroom.hasbro.com/media-library

Offline SweetLemons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2021, 12:40:57 PM »
The event will available to watch to the public! It starts at 10 AM EST tomorrow morning. Also, this event has been described as Hasbro discussing their upcoming plans for media and toys, so it's not gonna be a boring numbers report, they already did one of those earlier this month. So we're getting a HUGE flood of news tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:42:34 PM by SweetLemons »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2021, 12:47:25 PM »

That's what it sounds like to me

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:45 PM »
Alright, I'm sold XD I won't be able to watch the event live, but I'm very excited to see the toys. I do so hope they have lower jaws :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
Hmph. My expectations for mlp are so low, the number hasn't been invented yet.

Offline MoonShadow

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2021, 01:59:40 PM »
They seem pretty fakie-ish, but I'll accept anything at this point that has a lower jaw and brushable hair... I'm already bracing myself for disappointment...  I don't even care about the show/media. *cries*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal