collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Computer Art - I Have 2 Questions  (Read 463 times)

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Computer Art - I Have 2 Questions
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
(1) Is there a good website that you can draw/paint ponies easily? I have already tried a couple of websites and they were OKAY - I just didn't particularly like the tools.

(2) What tablets are the best for pony computer art?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GermanDark

Re: Computer Art - I Have 2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
(1) Is there a good website that you can draw/paint ponies easily? I have already tried a couple of websites and they were OKAY - I just didn't particularly like the tools.
I always used Photoshop but I hear SAI is really, really good. I used GIMP for a short while and compared to Photoshop, GIMP is like cutting off all your fingers. But if you haven't used Photoshop before then GIMP is probably a great way to go. I think SAI is free and I know GIMP is! And of course you can make great art just using Microsoft Paint! Photoshop is really expensive, though if you are a student you can get a fairly big discount.

I hear people say that Wacom Bamboo is fantastic. I've only used it once but it didn't seem to be quite as sensitive as Wacom Intuos tablets, and the pen died really quickly. I've mostly just used Wacom Intuos myself but there are many cheap and supposedly great tablets out there, such as Turcom tablets, a new, very nice looking and very cheap tablet for sale on Amazon for just $50 I think!

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
I always used Photoshop but I hear SAI is really, really good. I used GIMP for a short while and compared to Photoshop, GIMP is like cutting off all your fingers. But if you haven't used Photoshop before then GIMP is probably a great way to go. I think SAI is free and I know GIMP is! And of course you can make great art just using Microsoft Paint! Photoshop is really expensive, though if you are a student you can get a fairly big discount.

I hear people say that Wacom Bamboo is fantastic. I've only used it once but it didn't seem to be quite as sensitive as Wacom Intuos tablets, and the pen died really quickly. I've mostly just used Wacom Intuos myself but there are many cheap and supposedly great tablets out there, such as Turcom tablets, a new, very nice looking and very cheap tablet for sale on Amazon for just $50 I think!

I already have adobe photoshop installed on my laptop - mind you it's an older verson --> 7.0.1
Trying to draw/paint with my fingers and not having a mouse is kind of complicated...I am sure having a pen with a tablet would be much easier. I will have to check out the tablets that you mentioned. And $50 bucks is super inexpensive! Thanks for the reply!

GermanDark

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
Yeah, a large Turcom seems to be very cheap! A small Bamboo is cheap too but I'm fond of medium to large sized tablets myself. It all depends on what you are comfortable with!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
I can't answer your first question, as I use artwork programs and not websites to create my pieces. However, I'd like to add that you can draw ponies well in any version of Photoshop, regardless of its age.

As for the tablet, that entirely depends on your price range. I've been using a Wacom Graphire Wireless for years, and I swear that it is indestructible. It's been dropped, accidentally kicked, etc, and it still works as well as ever. New ones can be around $150-200, but used ones can be about $50. They've got a nice, large drawing space about the size of an average piece of printer paper.

Bamboos are about half that size; they have some great sensitivity and are good for small projects.

I've heard that Intuos work well, too, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one. They're what most of the professional artists use.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
People are saying positive things about deviantART's Muro app (it's a web-based drawing application). It's free to use.

Paint Tool SAI costs nowhere near as much as Photoshop, and it's really awesome when paired up with a tablet. I have an old-ish Wacom Intuous. I had a Wacom Graphire (what used to be their "cheaper" line of tablets) for a while before I got this one, but it wore out.
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
I also use photoshop, but I've heard good things about GIMP and SAI as well.

I have a Wacom Bamboo and I love it, but the pen isn't as sensitive as it used to be.  I haven't really sat and done any troubleshooting to figure out why though.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline FoolBornUnicorn

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
1) I don't know of any websites.. But I use Paint Tool SAI, and I highly recommend it! It's awesome! The tools aren't really complicated.

2) I use a Wacom Bamboo and it works perfectly! Even after I accidentally burned a hole through it with my hot glue gun... There super durable! :lol:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:56:17 PM by FoolBornUnicorn »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
I use Photoshop but when I can't get that on a computer, GIMP works just fine for me.

As for tablets ... I use a repurposed medical tablet PC.  I'm a weirdo but it works really well.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Shimmer

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
Paint Tool Sai is not free! As far as I've seen that 'free' version is translated from beta when it wasn't commercial software yet so it can't save transparent png's and so on. It is very cheap compared to photoshop though and you can download it for EVERY computer you have, I bought my license in 2008 and have reinstalled it many times without trouble ( and I love it to bits! :heart: )
Official website: http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

1) I think deviantart has a "live" drawing application called dA Muro, it has never really worked for me but it could be worth a try: http://sta.sh/muro/
On installation software I recommend starting with the actual free programs such as GIMP, paint(dot)net, InkScape or similar to get used to drawing on the computer. Or perhaps download some trials for programs like photoshop and Sai to get a feel for it :)

2) As far as tablets go, most that are wacom label are good and the bamboo's are a good start :) I have been using my Wacom Graphire 4 for a very long time and it is very durable.
My very first tablet was a 'Trust' and it wasnt very trustworthy! It was a real nightmare to say the least and I have never met someone who had a good experience with one.

Offline FoolBornUnicorn

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Paint Tool Sai is not free! As far as I've seen that 'free' version is translated from beta when it wasn't commercial software yet so it can't save transparent png's and so on.
I had no idea! Sorry..  :blush:
Off to buy a license! ^.^

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for the replies!! I am a newbie when it comes to computer art so my hand is not very steady - plus it doesn't really help when I currently have just a laptop without an actual mouse. I think I am going to play around with GIMP and the deviant art program first and go from there. Eventually I would like to purchase a tablet but I am going to have to wait on that for now - at least I have a good idea on which one to get! :)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
I love, love, love SAI. I use SAI and Photoshop.
Old PS7 works well, too. I had it until it crashed with my old computer ^^ (now I'm on CS6. it's fab)

Also, I have a Bamboo Fun&Touch that's... 5-6 years old? if the pen dies, it's Windows' fault, with updates. Tablet still works like a dream, as does the pen. I love it to pieces (which I hope it won't fall in!)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal